UFC President Dana White made it very clear he wasn’t making a fight announcement, but he did offer a strong opinion on what could come next at 145 pounds if Jose Aldo does indeed vacate his title and move up to the lightweight division to challenge current champ Anthony Pettis.
“It would probably be – listen, I’m not making a fight announcement here or anything – but what would make sense is Cub Swanson and Chad Mendes would probably be fighting for that title, and Pettis and Aldo would fight at 155,” White said while a guest on Wednesday’s new edition of FOX Sports 1's “FOX Sports Live.”
White also eliminated the possibility of a potential 150-pound catchweight fight between Aldo and Pettis, a possibility that had recently been presented by Nova Uniao head Andre Pederneiras.
“There’s no disagreement over the weight,” White said. “They’re going to fight at 155 pounds. What will happen is Aldo would have to give up his title, vacate the 145-pound title, move up to 155.”
If the Mendes vs. Swanson bout is scheduled, it would serve as a rematch of their August 2010 fight under the WEC banner, which Mendes won via decision.
Mendes’ lone career loss came in a failed 2012 bid to unseat Aldo as champ. However, Mendes has since earned five consecutive wins and now sits at No. 2 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA featherweight rankings. Mendes fought most recently in December, when he earned a decision win over Nik Lentz.
Meanwhile, Swanson also boasts a five-fight winning streak, a run that includes a July victory over Dennis Siver at UFC 162's “Fight of the Night.” Swanson currently sits at No. 4 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA featherweight rankings.
For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.
(Pictured: Chad Mendes)view original article >>
Former featherweight title challenger Ricardo Lamas wonders what makes sense for the two fights left on his current UFC contract.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will have the opportunity to make a defense after he tested positive for steroids following his win over Daniel Cormier last month but the damage done publicl read news >>
UFC President Dana White isn't holding out hope Jon Jones will be cleared when his positive drug test receives further scrutiny. White told TMZ Sports Thursday it's "highly unlikely" Jones' B sample read news >>
UFC President Dana White has admitted Jon Jones' potential steroid violation before his UFC 214 win against Daniel Cormier may spell the end of his MMA career. The UFC confirmed in an official statem read news >>
So high is UFC President Dana White on Conor McGregor he’s willing to entertain giving the Irishman an ownership stake in the company.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Last November following his stunning second round finish over Eddie Alvarez to become the first ever simultaneous two division champion in UFC history, Conor McGregor immediately turned his attention read news >>
UFC President Dana White is defending Conor McGregor after Floyd Mayweather Jr. said the mixed martial arts star needed to use IV bags to stay hydrated in preparation for Saturday's megafight. Speaki read news >>
Dana White and Jeff Novitzky held an impromptu media scrum on Tuesday addressing the breaking news of Jon Jones testing positive for steroids. read news >>
“It’s brutal. It’s unbelievable,” Dana White said of Jon Jones’ failed drug test at UFC 214.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Another two fighters are heading to the UFC courtesy of this summer’s inaugural run of Dana White’s Contender Series. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>