#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #UFC Fight Night 118 #Cody Garbrandt

Cub Swanson started well against Ricardo Lamas at UFC on Fox 1, but the fight didn’t end well for him.

After nearly submitting Lamas in the first round, Swanson tapped to an arm-triangle choke in the second. It was a bitter ending, particularly after waiting a year to get back in the cage due to an injury.

“I just made one mistake,” Swanson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I got comfortable when I shouldn’t have. That’s why it’s MMA. I came back and decided to work my butt off and make sure I don’t make another mistake. That’s why I asked for a fight right away.”

Swanson will be back in the Octagon on Saturday against George Roop at UFC on Fox 2.

“He’s got a good reach advantage on me, but I feel like I do well against tall guys,” Swanson said. “He seems to think he sees holes in my game, and that’s fine because I work the holes in my game. I know what they are and I worked them to death. I’m just going to try to beat him everywhere. I know he’s skilled. I just really think he’s just a tough guy and he’s awkward. I think that’s why he’s giving people problems, but I think where he’s awkward kind of plays into my game. I think it’s a good matchup for me.”

Roop gave highly ranked Hatsu Hioki all he could handle in October at UFC 137. He dropped a split decision, but some believe he actually deserved the win -- Swanson included.

“I thought he won that fight,” Swanson said. “That Hioki guy is a guy that I’ve thought was overrated for a long time … . I think that’s a much different fight than what I bring to the table. George Roop’s been fighting taller people. He also has to understand that I’m going to be a lot shorter than the guys he’s been fighting. I think it’s going to be just as much of a problem for him. That fight seemed to be a lot of clinching. It was a slower-paced fight than I think me and him will be.”

Roop has been complimentary of Swanson’s toughness and skill, but Swanson doesn’t like everything his opponent has been saying. He said he wants to “smash” Roop for “talking crap.” Of course, Swanson would likely have the same intention regardless of his opposition Saturday.

“I really feel that with all my injuries and ups and downs in my career, I’m just so hungry and I’m a little bit bitter,” he said. “I feel like I’ve endured a lot and I want people to feel the pain that I’ve felt and I want to break his face.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 53:59).

Galleries

Cub Swanson Fights

• 6 months ago

Comments

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas rematch co-headlines UFC on FOX 26; Perry-Ponzinibbio, Mein-Silva added

A featherweight rematch from a past title fight has been booked as the co-main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg in December.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Before UFC 216, watch Derrick Lewis take out Viktor Pesta

Derrick Lewis started a bit slowly but finished strong in a UFC 192 bout with Viktor Pesta.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch Derrick Lewis Pummel Viktor Pesta to Kick Off Winning Streak (UFC 216 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Derrick Lewis started a six-fight win streak with a victory over Viktor Pesta in his hometown at UFC 192 in 2015. read news >>

Cub Swanson: Brian Ortega 'ain't making a name off of me' at UFC Fight Night 123

Cub Swanson, on the last fight of his UFC contract, vows not to be a stepping stone for red-hot Brian Ortega at UFC Fight Night 123.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Robbie Lawler vs. Rafael dos Anjos headlines UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

The UFC announced today that Robbie Lawler will take on Rafael dos Anjos in the headliner for UFC on FOX 26.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Galore Bofando vs. Chad Laprise among additions to UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

With the main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg now set, the card below it continues to build. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216: How The Ferguson vs Lee Feud All Got Started

On the surface, Tony Ferguson may not have been the most obvious next fight for Kevin Lee. But for those who saw them butt heads on FS1 back in June, the fight not only seem likely, but became the fi read news >>

Tony Ferguson's Championship Choke (UFC 216 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from Tony Ferguson's interim lightweight title victory over Kevin Lee at UFC 216 on Satur read news >>

Cub Swanson vs. Brian Ortega Set for UFC Fight Night Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Cub Swanson and Brian Ortega will make their returns to the Octagon opposite one another in the UFC Fight Night main event in Fresno, Calif. read news >>

UFC on FOX 26 tickets on sale this week, and $316 Canadian gets you cageside

The UFC returns to Winnipeg next month, and tickets for the event go on sale this week. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>