#UFC Fight Night 126 #Conor McGregor #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #FNG #Derrick Lewis #M-1 Global #UFC Fight Night 57 #UFC 221

Hungry & Bitter, Swanson Wants to Smash Roop

Cub Swanson started well against Ricardo Lamas at UFC on Fox 1, but the fight didn’t end well for him.

After nearly submitting Lamas in the first round, Swanson tapped to an arm-triangle choke in the second. It was a bitter ending, particularly after waiting a year to get back in the cage due to an injury.

“I just made one mistake,” Swanson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I got comfortable when I shouldn’t have. That’s why it’s MMA. I came back and decided to work my butt off and make sure I don’t make another mistake. That’s why I asked for a fight right away.”

Swanson will be back in the Octagon on Saturday against George Roop at UFC on Fox 2.

“He’s got a good reach advantage on me, but I feel like I do well against tall guys,” Swanson said. “He seems to think he sees holes in my game, and that’s fine because I work the holes in my game. I know what they are and I worked them to death. I’m just going to try to beat him everywhere. I know he’s skilled. I just really think he’s just a tough guy and he’s awkward. I think that’s why he’s giving people problems, but I think where he’s awkward kind of plays into my game. I think it’s a good matchup for me.”

Roop gave highly ranked Hatsu Hioki all he could handle in October at UFC 137. He dropped a split decision, but some believe he actually deserved the win -- Swanson included.

“I thought he won that fight,” Swanson said. “That Hioki guy is a guy that I’ve thought was overrated for a long time … . I think that’s a much different fight than what I bring to the table. George Roop’s been fighting taller people. He also has to understand that I’m going to be a lot shorter than the guys he’s been fighting. I think it’s going to be just as much of a problem for him. That fight seemed to be a lot of clinching. It was a slower-paced fight than I think me and him will be.”

Roop has been complimentary of Swanson’s toughness and skill, but Swanson doesn’t like everything his opponent has been saying. He said he wants to “smash” Roop for “talking crap.” Of course, Swanson would likely have the same intention regardless of his opposition Saturday.

“I really feel that with all my injuries and ups and downs in my career, I’m just so hungry and I’m a little bit bitter,” he said. “I feel like I’ve endured a lot and I want people to feel the pain that I’ve felt and I want to break his face.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 53:59).

Galleries

Cub Swanson Fights

• 10 months ago

Ricardo Lamas Fights

• 2 months ago

Comments

Arjan Bhullar cleared to wear turban at UFC on FOX 29

UFC heavyweight Arjan Bhullar’s traditional turban might even have a Reebok logo on it. read news >>

With rough patch in the past, UFC on FOX 27's Jordan Rinaldi no longer questioning future

It’s been several years since Jordan Rinaldi was in a slump so bad, he wondered if he’d be better off doing anything else but fighting. read news >>

Frank Camacho Plans to 'Keep Drew Dober Guessing' at UFC on FOX 27 | MMAWeekly.com

At UFC on FOX 27 in Charlotte, N.C., on Saturday, Frank Camacho will get right back into action against Drew Dober in a 170-pound bout. read news >>

Andre Fili made lifestyle changes, 'back to having fun' with MMA ahead of UFC on FOX 27

Andre Fili expects his lifestyle outside of fighting to have a positive impact on his octagon performance. read news >>

UFC on FOX 27 pre-event facts: Derek Brunson looks to add to first-round KO record

The best facts, figures and footnotes about UFC on FOX 27, which features a Ronaldo Souza vs. Derek Brunson main event. read news >>

Jacare Souza Keeps it Light at UFC on FOX 27 Open Workouts | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the recap of the UFC on FOX 27 open workout from Charlotte, N.C., featuring Jacare Souza, Derek Brunson, Andre Fili, and Dennis Bermudez. read news >>

How UFC champ Daniel Cormier was catalyst for UFC on FOX 27's Bobby Green

Credit UFC light heavyweight champ Daniel Cormier for helping to turn around UFC on FOX 27’s Bobby Green. read news >>

UFC on FOX 27 main-card breakdown: Pair of close bouts on Charlotte undercard

MMAjunkie Radio analyst Dan Tom goes in depth to break down what you can expect from the undercard bouts at UFC on FOX 27. 1 2 …3 read news >>

Vinc Pichel Feels Like He's 'Too Much' for Joaquim Silva at UFC on FOX 27 | MMAWeekly.com

Vinc Pichel (10-1) will look to keep his momentum rolling into 2018 when he takes on Joaquim Silva (10-0) at UFC on Fox 27 on Saturday. read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC on FOX 27 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET

Check out a live video stream of the UFC on FOX 27 ceremonial weigh-ins. read news >>