#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #UFC 217 #Alistair Overeem #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #GSP #Max Holloway #Eddie Alvarez

Cub Swanson started well against Ricardo Lamas at UFC on Fox 1, but the fight didn’t end well for him.

After nearly submitting Lamas in the first round, Swanson tapped to an arm-triangle choke in the second. It was a bitter ending, particularly after waiting a year to get back in the cage due to an injury.

“I just made one mistake,” Swanson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I got comfortable when I shouldn’t have. That’s why it’s MMA. I came back and decided to work my butt off and make sure I don’t make another mistake. That’s why I asked for a fight right away.”

Swanson will be back in the Octagon on Saturday against George Roop at UFC on Fox 2.

“He’s got a good reach advantage on me, but I feel like I do well against tall guys,” Swanson said. “He seems to think he sees holes in my game, and that’s fine because I work the holes in my game. I know what they are and I worked them to death. I’m just going to try to beat him everywhere. I know he’s skilled. I just really think he’s just a tough guy and he’s awkward. I think that’s why he’s giving people problems, but I think where he’s awkward kind of plays into my game. I think it’s a good matchup for me.”

Roop gave highly ranked Hatsu Hioki all he could handle in October at UFC 137. He dropped a split decision, but some believe he actually deserved the win -- Swanson included.

“I thought he won that fight,” Swanson said. “That Hioki guy is a guy that I’ve thought was overrated for a long time … . I think that’s a much different fight than what I bring to the table. George Roop’s been fighting taller people. He also has to understand that I’m going to be a lot shorter than the guys he’s been fighting. I think it’s going to be just as much of a problem for him. That fight seemed to be a lot of clinching. It was a slower-paced fight than I think me and him will be.”

Roop has been complimentary of Swanson’s toughness and skill, but Swanson doesn’t like everything his opponent has been saying. He said he wants to “smash” Roop for “talking crap.” Of course, Swanson would likely have the same intention regardless of his opposition Saturday.

“I really feel that with all my injuries and ups and downs in my career, I’m just so hungry and I’m a little bit bitter,” he said. “I feel like I’ve endured a lot and I want people to feel the pain that I’ve felt and I want to break his face.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 53:59).

Galleries

Cub Swanson Fights

• 7 months ago

Comments

Reports: Josh Emmett steps in vs. Ricardo Lamas at UFC on FOX 26

It’s not the rematch he was hoping for, but Ricardo Lamas still has a fight at UFC on FOX 26.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ricardo Lamas: No 'tantrum like a kid' over lost Jose Aldo fight at UFC on FOX 26

• a day ago

UFC featherweight contender Ricardo Lamas isn’t sulking over another opponent shift, and that’s because he can’t afford to.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC on FOX 26 co-main-event breakdown: Can replacement Josh Emmett upset Ricardo Lamas?

• 13 hours ago

MMAjunkie Radio cohost and MMAjunkie contributor Dan Tom provides an in-depth breakdown of all of UFC on FOX 26’s main-card bouts, and today, we look at the co-main event.Filed under: Featured, News, read news >>

Glover Teixeira still aims to be Mike Tyson – just more tactical at UFC on FOX 26

• 15 hours ago

Glover Teixeira promises (almost) nothing will change about his style when he meets Misha Cirkunov at UFC on FOX 26. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Before UFC on FOX 26 headliner, watch Robbie Lawler overpower Josh Koscheck

• 7 hours ago

Back in 2013 Robbie Lawler returned to welterweight – a division he’d soon rule. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC on FOX 26 pre-event facts: Winnipeg return loaded with big-time hitters

• 11 hours ago

Check out 60 facts, figures and footnotes about UFC on FOX 26, which features a Robbie Lawler vs. Rafael dos Anjos main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 26's Tim Elliott calls for 'TUF' victory paycheck in future seasons

• 5 hours ago

On second thought, Tim Elliott feels short-changed by the UFC after winning “TUF 24” to face Demetrious Johnson.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ricardo Lamas vs. Josh Emmett: UFC Road to the Octagon | MMAWeekly.com

Go behind the scenes with Ricardo Lamas and Josh Emmett ahead of their UFC on FOX 26 showdown in "Road to the Octagon." read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

We want your predictions for Saturday’s UFC on FOX 26 event in Winnipeg.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 26 main-event breakdown: Can Rafael dos Anjos survive Robbie Lawler's initial storm?

• a day ago

MMAjunkie Radio cohost Dan Tom provides an in-depth breakdown of UFC on FOX 26’s main event between Rafael dos Anjos and Robbie Lawler.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>