#Fight Night London #Conor McGregor #UFC 224 #Demian Maia #Kamaru Usman #Tatiana Suarez #Alexa Grasso #Fight On #UFC 217 #UFC Brooklyn

How long does UFC 223's Evan Dunham intend to fight? Long enough to eliminate 'what-ifs'

LAS VEGAS – When Evan Dunham returns to the octagon for UFC 223 next month, it’ll be the 26th official MMA bout of a professional career dating back more than a decade.

Still, at 36, Dunham doesn’t feel like he’s slowing down. His recent record will attest to that, too: Coming off a draw with Beneil Dariush, Dunham hasn’t lost in five fights. That’s his longest UFC streak since 2010, when Sean Sherk snapped a four-fight winning streak after bringing Dunham his first octagon setback.

The secret to Dunham’s longevity? Well, there are a few factors.

A “less is more” approach has meant more intelligent training. He’s learned how to better control his fights, as well. Due diligence and staying in shape outside of camp helped, not to mention the UFC’s Performance Institute that Dunham constantly praises.

But while those things have kept Dunham’s body ready to go, there’s something else that’s helped his mind and heart stay in the game: running his own gym in Las Vegas.

“I think it’s helped me, because I’m not so single-minded anymore,” Dunham told MMAjunkie on Monday during a media day in Las Vegas. “Everything is not about fighting, everything is not about what’s going to happen in the next fight. It’s a lot of moving pieces, between my daughters and the gym. It doesn’t give me too much time to obsess over one thing. And when I’m not obsessing over one thing, I think I’m able to be a little more natural in all of them without forcing anything.

“The guys and gals I have at the gym are great. Every time I walk in there, it’s like walking in friends and family. It’s a really good time. It’s brought the love back for the sport back for me. I know that gets lost sometimes for guys that have been in the game for a while. They get a little burned out. But I don’t feel that way at all right now, especially because of the gym.”

Dunham (18-6-1 MMA, 11-6-1 UFC), who’s now set to meet fellow lightweight Olivier Aubin-Mercier (10-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) on April 7, has proof that his busier schedule hasn’t hurt him in the cage: Since opening the gym, he hasn’t suffered a single setback.

And yes, he is counting the Dariush majority draw.

“I don’t see it as the ending of a winning streak, because I didn’t lose,” Dunham said. “A draw – I didn’t know how to quite deal with it when it first happened because never had a draw before in 30-some fights. After it happened, I was a little bit bummed out.

“But, in retrospect, I’m OK with it. It was a good performance. (I) got cracked early, was able to come back quite a bit. I thought I won the fight, but I’m sure he feels that way, too. So I don’t see it as a loss. I see it as a win.”

When he meets Aubin-Mercier in the FS1-televised preliminary card encounter at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., Dunham will come into the cage with more than twice the amount of pro fights than his seven-years-younger opponent. That’s still less of an age gap than he had against recent opponents Dariush and Rick Glenn, both 28.

OK, so maybe now Dunham is on the more experienced side of the roster. But, looking to squeeze in one or two more fights still this year, Dunham is not about to put an expiration date on his fighting days.

“My biggest fear is looking back and saying, ‘What if?’” Dunham said. “I don’t ever want to say what if. If I cut it too short, I don’t want to be that old guy sitting on the couch, explaining to my grandkids, ‘You know, I could have done this if I would have …’

“No ‘what-ifs.’ I’m going to hammer it out until I know there’s nothing left. When there’s nothing left I’ll know, and then I’ll be OK walking away. And I’m not putting any time on that.”

To hear more from Dunham, check out the video above.

And for more on UFC 223, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Unfiltered: David Branch, Derrick Lewis & Atlantic City Recap

David Branch Talks UFC AC KO, Derrick Lewis Breaks Down UFC 226 Fight With Francis Ngannou, and a UFC Fight Night Atlantic City Recap read news >>

Hey, look, Nick Newell at the UFC Performance Institute. Good sign?

What does this mean for Nick Newell potentially getting his long-awaited shot at the UFC? read news >>

UFC Atlantic City reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from UFC Fight Night 128 reacted on social media outlets Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. read news >>

Ref Marc Goddard Defends Controversial UFC Atlantic City Result: 'It's as Clear as Day' | MMAWeekly.com

There was a rather confusing outcome at Saturday night's UFC Fight Night 128 in Atlantic City, N.J., where a fighter was caught in a submission, did not tap out, time ran out, but then the referee de read news >>

Why Derrick Lewis won't let go of 'little grudge' with Francis Ngannou, even after UFC 226

Derrick Lewis wouldn’t go so far as to call his UFC 226 fight with Francis Ngannou personal, but he hasn’t forgotten the genesis of the matchup. read news >>

'The Decisionator' Ryan LaFlare threw 'kitchen sink' at Alex Garcia with hopes of first UFC finish

Ryan LaFlare said he did everything he could to get his first stoppage win under the UFC banner at UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>

Wouldn't it be nice to not wonder if Matt Serra deserves to be a UFC Hall of Famer?

Matt Serra is a UFC Hall of Famer, but with an unclear selection process, the promotion does a disservice to fighters who would be voted in – if that existed. read news >>

Manager: Merab Dvalishvili likely to appeal UFC Atlantic City loss to Ricky Simon, wants rematch

Merab Dvalishvili would have won a split decision over Rick Simon had it gone to the judges’ scorecards. read news >>

Junior Dos Santos, Two More UFC Fighters Cleared to Return After USADA Conducts Extensive Investigation | MMAWeekly.com

Junior dos Santos, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Marcos Rogerio de Lima have been embroiled in a months long investigation by USADA as the anti-doping agency was looking into contaminated supplements read news >>

Cub Swanson All Class in Statement on Loss to Frankie Edgar | MMAWeekly.com

Cub Swanson hoped to avenge an earlier loss to Frankie Edgar in Saturday's UFC Fight Night 128 co-main event in Atlantic City, N.J., but it wasn't to be. Edgar pressed forward throughout the fight, p read news >>

UFC Fight Night 128 medical suspensions: Edson Barboza suspended indefinitely pending CT scan

Edson Barboza is suspended indefinitely pending doctor’s clearance for the damage he took at UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 134 Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

Fight card and event information for UFC Fight Night 134 slated for July 22, 2018, at Barclaycard Arena in Hamburg, Germany. read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir vs. Shogun Rua Moved to UFC Hamburg Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

As the UFC Santiago fight card disintegrates, a light heavyweight match-up between Volkan Oezdemir and Shogun Rua has been re-booked as the UFC Hamburg headlining bout. read news >>

TMZ Captures Conor McGregor Flipping Off Photographers at Airport in Ireland

UFC star Conor McGregor has finally returned to Ireland after the violent incident that got him arrested at UFC 223's media day, and he treated photographers to a middle finger upon his arrival at read news >>

Tony Martin says he's staying at 170 pounds after UFC Atlantic City – thanks to Mike Brown

There were moments in Tony Martin’s move up to 170 pounds that he wanted to just go a little crazy and get a highlight-reel finish. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Addresses Contenders to His UFC Lightweight Championship | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov addressed the current cadre of UFC lightweight contenders and laid out a time for his return to the Octagon. read news >>

Search for: