#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Conor McGregor #Jon Jones #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #Fight On #Frankie Edgar #Nate Diaz #Alexander Gustafsson #UFC 223 #UFC 216

Hisaki Kato Not Worried About AJ Matthews at Bellator 162 | MMAWeekly.com

After suffering a first round knockout loss to Melvin Manhoef at Bellator 146 to close out 2015, middleweight Hisaki Kato has rebounded with two straight wins.

In June, Kato made his debut for Bellator Kickboxing by defeating Joe Schilling via second round KO, and prior to that, he got his MMA career back on track with a first round TKO of Yuta Watanabe Rizin FF 1 in April.

“I really wanted to do that (Watanabe) fight because it was in Japan, and when I was younger I used to watch Pride on TV, so it was really exciting to fight with the same rules: a 10-minute first round and soccer kicks,” Kato told MMAWeekly.com. “It was really exciting and I did well, so it was a good experience.”

Coming off the loss to Manhoef last year, Kato did make some changes to his training routine, but not because of the defeat itself, but because he feels he always has to make alterations in order to keep moving forward.

“I did my first fight in Bellator after only five fights, so I had to make some adjustments really quickly,” said Kato. “I won the first one with Schilling, but lost the second one to Melvin Manhoef, so every time I’m trying to make big adjustments to be a lot stronger for the next fight.

“After every fight, win or lose, I try to adjust and try to have a better camp. I try to change the way I’m training to improve. If you do training all the same, you won’t improve, that’s what I believe. So every time I’m changing a lot of things.”

TRENDING > Chael Sonnen vs. Tito Ortiz Set for Bellator in Los Angeles

Kato (6-2) will seek to keep his winning ways going when he faces AJ Matthews (8-5) in a main card 185-pound bout at Bellator 162 on Friday in Memphis, Tenn.

hisaki-kato-joe-schilling-bellator-139-750“We’re both strikers,” Kato said. “(Matthews is) more like kickboxing and Muay Thai striker. I’m more from the Karate style from my base. We’re both going to try to do the striking part, I think, so I think it’s going to be about distance fighting.

“Of course I respect all fighters, everybody’s different, but after being hit by Melvin Manhoef, I’m pretty sure I have good experience about getting hit. Of course I’m not worried, I’m never worried – because you just need one moment, one second, to win a fight – you just have to focus.”

Now that he’s back in MMA, Kato is eager to keep active and work his way towards a middleweight title shot in the near future.

“Actually even after the last fight, I tried to fight earlier than this coming fight, but it didn’t happen,” he said. “This time again, if I’m not injured, my plan was to fight four times this year, so I’d like to fight one more fight this year. I think I’m one or two fights from the title.”

(Photo Courtesy of Bellator MMA)

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Comments

Flyweight Champ Ilima-Lei Macfarlane Makes First Defense at Bellator 201 | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator returns to Pechanga Resort Casino in Temecula, Calif. for Bellator 201 on Friday, June 29. The card will be headlined by the San Diego-based Ilima-Lei Macfarlane (7-0), who defends her undef read news >>

Ed Ruth Believes 'Conditioning Will Play A Big Part at Bellator 196 Against Ion Pascu | MMAWeekly.com

Ed Ruth (4-0) will look to further showcase his development in his first fight of 2018 at Bellator 196 in Budapest, Hungary, against veteran Ion Pascu (17-7). read news >>

John Salter Plans to Leave No Question That He's No. 1 Contender at Bellator 198 | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

At Bellator 198 on Saturday, John Salter (15-3) will look to cement a title shot when he takes on Rafael Lovato Jr. (7-0) in a main card 185-pound bout. read news >>

James Gallagher wants return at Bellator 200: 'Card won't be complete until I'm on it'

Bellator featherweight prospect James Gallagher is seeking a late-May return to competition, and he knows exactly which card he wants on. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Planned on Moving to Flyweight But Now Sole Focus is Winning Back Strawweight Title | MMAWeekly.com

Joanna Jedrzejczyk says she had planned to move to 125 pounds with a win over Rose Namajunas last November but now her sole focus is getting her strawweight title back read news >>

Cheick Kongo returns against Javy Ayala at Bellator 199 in San Jose

A heavyweight bout between Javy Ayala and Cheick Kongo has been added to May’s Bellator 199 lineup. read news >>

Can Brandon Girtz get signature win – like the ones inside – against Chandler at Bellator 197?

Brandon Girtz has had some big moments so far in his Bellator career. In two weeks, he could have his biggest moment yet. read news >>

PFL Brings Award-Winning TV Exec Mark Burnett On Board | MMAWeekly.com

The Professional Fighters League (PFL), the world's only major mixed martial arts league, announced recently that they are partnering with Mark Burnett, President of MGM Television Group & Digital an read news >>

Bellator 196 and Bellator Kickboxing 9 Fight Cards Finalized | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator has announced completed cards for both Bellator 196 and Bellator Kickboxing 9, which take place this Friday, April 6 at BOK Hall in Budapest, Hungary. read news >>

Benson Henderson committed to finishing Roger Huerta at Bellator 196 'by all means'

Benson Henderson is sick and tired of having close fights, and he intends on doing something about it in the Bellator 196 headliner. read news >>

Video: Holy moly, this Adam Borics flying-knee knockout at Bellator 196 is hellacious

Adam Borics unleashed a hellacious flying knee in the Bellator 196 co-main event. read news >>

Benson Henderson Submits Roger Huerta (Bellator 196 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

The Bellator cage was in Budapest, Hungary on Friday for Bellator 196 headlined by former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson and veteran Roger Huerta. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk: 'I Felt Like I Was Winning The Fight' | MMAWeekly.com

Former women's strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk suffered her second career loss on Saturday in the UFC 223 co-main event. read news >>

Bellator 196 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from Bellator 196 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. 1 2 read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Reveals What Happened During Artem Lobov Altercation | MMAWeekly.com

After winning the undisputed lightweight championship at UFC 223 on Saturday, Khabib Nurmagomedov revealed details behind the altercation with Artem Lobov, who is an SBG Ireland teammate of Conor McG read news >>

Bobby Lashley Remains Under Contract to Bellator Despite Return to WWE | MMAWeekly.com

Bobby Lashley returned to WWE for the first time in 10 years on Monday night but that doesn't mean his fighting career is finished. The 41-year old heavyweight had been performing in Impact Wrestling read news >>