#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #Nik Lentz #Will Brooks #Georges St-Pierre

After suffering a first round knockout loss to Melvin Manhoef at Bellator 146 to close out 2015, middleweight Hisaki Kato has rebounded with two straight wins.

In June, Kato made his debut for Bellator Kickboxing by defeating Joe Schilling via second round KO, and prior to that, he got his MMA career back on track with a first round TKO of Yuta Watanabe Rizin FF 1 in April.

“I really wanted to do that (Watanabe) fight because it was in Japan, and when I was younger I used to watch Pride on TV, so it was really exciting to fight with the same rules: a 10-minute first round and soccer kicks,” Kato told MMAWeekly.com. “It was really exciting and I did well, so it was a good experience.”

Coming off the loss to Manhoef last year, Kato did make some changes to his training routine, but not because of the defeat itself, but because he feels he always has to make alterations in order to keep moving forward.

“I did my first fight in Bellator after only five fights, so I had to make some adjustments really quickly,” said Kato. “I won the first one with Schilling, but lost the second one to Melvin Manhoef, so every time I’m trying to make big adjustments to be a lot stronger for the next fight.

“After every fight, win or lose, I try to adjust and try to have a better camp. I try to change the way I’m training to improve. If you do training all the same, you won’t improve, that’s what I believe. So every time I’m changing a lot of things.”

TRENDING > Chael Sonnen vs. Tito Ortiz Set for Bellator in Los Angeles

Kato (6-2) will seek to keep his winning ways going when he faces AJ Matthews (8-5) in a main card 185-pound bout at Bellator 162 on Friday in Memphis, Tenn.

hisaki-kato-joe-schilling-bellator-139-750“We’re both strikers,” Kato said. “(Matthews is) more like kickboxing and Muay Thai striker. I’m more from the Karate style from my base. We’re both going to try to do the striking part, I think, so I think it’s going to be about distance fighting.

“Of course I respect all fighters, everybody’s different, but after being hit by Melvin Manhoef, I’m pretty sure I have good experience about getting hit. Of course I’m not worried, I’m never worried – because you just need one moment, one second, to win a fight – you just have to focus.”

Now that he’s back in MMA, Kato is eager to keep active and work his way towards a middleweight title shot in the near future.

“Actually even after the last fight, I tried to fight earlier than this coming fight, but it didn’t happen,” he said. “This time again, if I’m not injured, my plan was to fight four times this year, so I’d like to fight one more fight this year. I think I’m one or two fights from the title.”

(Photo Courtesy of Bellator MMA)

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Comments

Logan Storley Will Be Looking To Finish Matt Secor at Bellator 186 | MMAWeekly.com

Logan Storley (6-0) will face his toughest challenge yet when he takes on veteran Matt Secor (9-4) in a Bellator 186 preliminary 170-pound bout on Friday. read news >>

Zach Freeman Looking to Show He's To Be Taken Seriously at Bellator 186 | MMAWeekly.com

On November 3, Zach Freeman (9-2) will look for his second Bellator win when he faces off against veteran Saad Awad (20-9) in a main card 155-pound bout. read news >>

Undefeated Ilima-Lei Macfarlane Rocketing Towards Title at Bellator 186 | MMAWeekly.com

Ilima-Lei Macfarlane will go for her first MMA title when she takes on Emily Ducote for the flyweight title in the Bellator 186 co-main event on Friday. read news >>

Conor McGregor Slaps Official Trying to Push Him off the Cage at Bellator 187 (VIDEO) | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor has become the central focus of the events unfolding at Bellator 187 on Friday and he obviously wasn't even fighting on the card. Following a fight where McGregor's teammate Charlie Wa read news >>

Fighters React to Conor McGregor Pushing Referee, Slapping Official | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor climbed over the cage at Bellator 187, shoved a referee, and slapped a commission official... and lit up Twitter. read news >>

AJ McKee Wins Main Event, but Conor McGregor Steals the Show at Bellator 187 | MMAWeekly.com

AJ McKee survived a tough battle to win the Bellator 187 main event on Friday in Dublin, Ireland, but it was Conor McGregor who stole the show. read news >>

Conor McGregor Expresses No Remorse for Incident at Bellator in Now Deleted Post | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor explained what happened in Dublin after he leapt into the cage during a Bellator event on Friday read news >>

Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor Pissed Off the Wrong Official | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen weighs in on Conor McGregor's transgressions at Bellator 187 and how it might be more serious than it is entertainment. read news >>

Conor McGregor Issues Apology For His Behavior at Bellator 187 in Ireland | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor has broken his silence after being involved in a melee in Ireland last week after he jumped into the cage at Bellator 187. The incident unfolded after McGregor's teammate Charlie Ward read news >>

Referee Marc Goddard Responds to Conor McGregor's Actions at Bellator 187 in Ireland | MMAWeekly.com

Referee Marc Goddard has broken his silence just days after an altercation with UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor in Ireland at Bellator 187. The situation unfolded after Goddard appeared to st read news >>