#UFC 220 #Stipe Miocic #Francis Ngannou #Bellator MMA #Daniel Cormier #Volkan Oezdemir #Rory MacDonald #Douglas Lima #Chael Sonnen #Quinton Jackson #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Conor McGregor #UFC 219

Hisaki Kato Not Worried About AJ Matthews at Bellator 162 | MMAWeekly.com

After suffering a first round knockout loss to Melvin Manhoef at Bellator 146 to close out 2015, middleweight Hisaki Kato has rebounded with two straight wins.

In June, Kato made his debut for Bellator Kickboxing by defeating Joe Schilling via second round KO, and prior to that, he got his MMA career back on track with a first round TKO of Yuta Watanabe Rizin FF 1 in April.

“I really wanted to do that (Watanabe) fight because it was in Japan, and when I was younger I used to watch Pride on TV, so it was really exciting to fight with the same rules: a 10-minute first round and soccer kicks,” Kato told MMAWeekly.com. “It was really exciting and I did well, so it was a good experience.”

Coming off the loss to Manhoef last year, Kato did make some changes to his training routine, but not because of the defeat itself, but because he feels he always has to make alterations in order to keep moving forward.

“I did my first fight in Bellator after only five fights, so I had to make some adjustments really quickly,” said Kato. “I won the first one with Schilling, but lost the second one to Melvin Manhoef, so every time I’m trying to make big adjustments to be a lot stronger for the next fight.

“After every fight, win or lose, I try to adjust and try to have a better camp. I try to change the way I’m training to improve. If you do training all the same, you won’t improve, that’s what I believe. So every time I’m changing a lot of things.”

TRENDING > Chael Sonnen vs. Tito Ortiz Set for Bellator in Los Angeles

Kato (6-2) will seek to keep his winning ways going when he faces AJ Matthews (8-5) in a main card 185-pound bout at Bellator 162 on Friday in Memphis, Tenn.

hisaki-kato-joe-schilling-bellator-139-750“We’re both strikers,” Kato said. “(Matthews is) more like kickboxing and Muay Thai striker. I’m more from the Karate style from my base. We’re both going to try to do the striking part, I think, so I think it’s going to be about distance fighting.

“Of course I respect all fighters, everybody’s different, but after being hit by Melvin Manhoef, I’m pretty sure I have good experience about getting hit. Of course I’m not worried, I’m never worried – because you just need one moment, one second, to win a fight – you just have to focus.”

Now that he’s back in MMA, Kato is eager to keep active and work his way towards a middleweight title shot in the near future.

“Actually even after the last fight, I tried to fight earlier than this coming fight, but it didn’t happen,” he said. “This time again, if I’m not injured, my plan was to fight four times this year, so I’d like to fight one more fight this year. I think I’m one or two fights from the title.”

(Photo Courtesy of Bellator MMA)

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Comments

Bellator Unexpectedly Parts Ways with Longtime Broadcaster Jimmy Smith | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator is ending a months long game of commentating round robin with the departure of longtime color commentator Jimmy Smith. read news >>

Relive Michael Chandler's Knockout of Patricky Pitbull (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Look back at Bellator 157 Michael Chandler vs. Patricky Pitbull in it's entirety! And don't miss Michael Chandler's upcoming fight at Bellator 192. read news >>

Watch Douglas Lima Head Kick KO Ben Saunders (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Look back at Bellator 100 fight pitting Douglas Lima vs. Ben Saunders. And don't miss Douglas Lima's upcoming fight at Bellator 192. read news >>

Bellator 192 Media Call: 'This One Isn't Rocket Science!' | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of their respective bouts at Bellator 192; Douglas Lima, Rory MacDonald, Rampage Jackson, and Chael Sonnen faced each other in a media call. read news >>

Vince Cachero Plans to 'Put the Pressure On' Nohelin Hernandez at LFA 30 | MMAWeekly.com

Vince Cachero will look to keep his winning ways going in his first bout of 2018 when he takes on Nohelin Hernandez at LFA 30. read news >>

Watch Rampage Jackson KO Joey Beltran in Bellator MMA Debut (Full Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Look back at Rampage Jackson vs. Joey Beltran. And don't miss Rampage Jackson vs. Chael Sonnen at Bellator 192 as they kick off the Heavyweight Grand Prix. read news >>

Georgi Karakhanyan Predicts 'Fireworks' Against Henry Corrales at Bellator 192 | MMAWeekly.com

Georgi Karakhanyan (27-7-1) will look to kick off his year on a positive note when he takes on Henry Corrales (14-3) at Bellator 192. read news >>

Michael Chandler Predicts That He'll Be 'Extremely Dominant' at Bellator 192 | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Chandler (16-4) will look to get back on track when he takes on Goiti Yamauchi (22-3) in a main card 155-pound bout at Bellator 192 on January 20. read news >>

Aaron Pico 'Ready for Anything' Against Shane Krutchen at Bellator 192 | MMAWeekly.com

Aaron Pico (1-1) will look to pick up his second win when he takes on veteran Shane Krutchen (12-3) in a main card 145-pound bout at Bellator 192. read news >>

Joey Davis: 'I Can Do Anything I Want' Against Ian Butler at Bellator 192 | MMAWeekly.com

Joey Davis (2-0) will look to keep his undefeated streak going when he faces Ian Butler (3-3) in a preliminary 170-pounf bout at Bellator 192 on January 20. read news >>