#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Bellator 183 #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Teruto Ishihara

herschel-walker-5.jpgMore than two years have passed since 51-year-old Herschel Walker entered an MMA cage, but the former NFL great wants one more shot – in the UFC.

Walker, who scored a pair of knockout wins over lower-level opponents with the now-defunct Strikeforce promotion, hasn’t closed the door on his MMA career, which followed the running back’s Heisman Trophy campaign at the University of Georgia and a successful NFL run.

“I’d love to do it again,” Walker recently told the LaVar Arrington Show with Chad Dukes (106.7 The Fan in Washington, D.C.). “I absolutely love MMA. I think it’s an excellent sport.”

Walker announced his MMA intentions in 2007 and signed with Strikeforce in 2009. While some dismissed it as a publicity stint, Walker hooked up with the famed American Kickboxing Academy in California. Teammates such as Cain Velasquez and Daniel Cormier raved about his professionalism and work ethic, and Walker, a taekwondo black belt, earned some credibility with his stoppage wins over Greg Nagy and former WEC fighter Scott Carson. But he hasn’t competed since January 2011.

“If I were younger, I’d be doing it right now,” Walker said. “Because I’m a little bit older and I have a business going, I say I’d like to do one more fight, and then I think it’s time for me to step aside and give it to the young people. But I’d like to do one more fight.”

He said he wants that fight to be in the UFC, which purchased Strikeforce in 2011 and disbanded it earlier this year. But as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported in early 2012, UFC President Dana White said Walker probably wouldn’t be competitive in the UFC’s heavyweight division and suggested an octagon debut was unlikely.

But that hasn’t stopped would-be opponents from calling him out.

“I’ve had a couple of people talk about they want to fight me,” Walker said. “I’m like, ‘Guys, you all are calling me out. It’s almost like saying you want to plan on your homecoming game. But you better bring more than your lunch because I love this sport.’

“I don’t like losing. I like to get it on a little bit.”

Comments

Paige VanZant: 'I've Passed Out in My Bathroom' Cutting Weight for UFC Fights

Paige VanZant has always inhabited a somewhat strange place in the UFC. Part company spokesmodel, part fringe strawweight contender, she walks a tightrope between in-cage legitimacy and out-of-the-ca read news >>

Jon Jones passed blood test after UFC 214, different from urine test failure, USADA explains

A USADA spokesperson urges letting “due process occur before jumping to any conclusions” on Jon Jones.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Reportedly Passed UFC 214 Drug Test 24 Hours After Positive Test

New details reportedly emerged Friday regarding Jon Jones' drug test following his UFC 214 victory over Daniel Cormier. Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting, citing multiple sources, reported Jones passed a read news >>

John Dodson says he's fighting Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night 120 in Virginia

This fall’s UFC Fight Night 120 lineup has an intriguing bantamweight addition with John Dodson vs. Marlon Moraes.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Rotterdam Fighter Q&A Replay with Alistair Overeem, Michael Johnson and Volkan Oezdemir | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of Saturday's UFC Fight Night 115, Alistair Overeem, Michael Johnson, and Volkan Oezdemir fielded questions from fans. read news >>

UFC Rotterdam: Volkov vs. Struve Full Weigh-in Video | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) Two top-ranked heavyweights are set to square off at UFC Fight Night 115 following Friday's early morning weigh-in. Though he fights at the upper end of the heavyweight class, Stefa read news >>

UFC Rotterdam: Volkov vs Struve - Main Event Preview | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Fight Night 115 features a battle between heavyweight contenders Alexander Volkov and Stefan Struve. read news >>

UFC announces FITE TV as PPV streaming partner after Mayweather-McGregor debacle

The leading MMA promotion has announced a new partner for pay-per-view events.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Why Michel Prazeres isn't mad about UFC champ Conor McGregor's absence

Looking to add a fifth win to his current winning streak on Saturday, lightweight Michel Prazeres has his sights on a rematch with contender Kevin Lee.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fight Night Rotterdam official weigh-in results

Check out the weigh in results for UFC Fight Night Rotterdam, which is headlined by Alexander Volkov and Stefan Struve, airs live on UFC FIGHT PASS from Rotterdam, Netherlands on Saturday, Sept. 2 at read news >>