#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Vengeance Fighting Alliance #Duelo De Giagantes

Despite retaining his UFC lightweight title Saturday night, Benson Henderson was not without regrets.

“I should have pushed [the pace] a lot more. I didn’t push it enough,” Henderson (Pictured, file photo) told Fox Sports of his headlining UFC 150 rematch with former titlist Frankie Edgar. “I thought I was doing enough to win the fight going into the fifth, but I knew the fifth was a crucial round. I should have pushed it a lot more, and I’m very disappointed in myself that I didn’t.”

Henderson and Edgar battled for 25 minutes at Pepsi Center in Denver, and Henderson once again walked away with a victory over “The Answer,” this time by split decision. The ex-WEC champ had previously bested Edgar at UFC 144 in February, taking the title in a unanimous verdict in Saitama, Japan.

In their first fight, both men were forced to deal with a long journey to Saitama Super Arena. On Saturday, they were confronted with a different challenge: the Mile High City’s notoriously thin air.

“I’m not too tired, really. The elevation here in Denver really wasn’t too bad,” Henderson said. “I did two-and-a-half weeks to end my camp in Flagstaff, Ariz. It’s 7,000 feet high, so it’s actually [almost] 2,000 feet above Denver. I felt great and felt like I should have pushed the pace a lot more like my coach was yelling at me to do.”

Henderson attacked effectively with leg kicks in the first frame but gradually moved away from the technique as the bout wore on, a decision that Henderson says came about due to Edgar’s adjustments in footwork.

“He was doing a good job of backing away and staying out of range,” said Henderson. “Those leg kicks, we game-planned to use those, to get him off-balance and then to capitalize right away. I wanted to pounce. I think I got him off-balance three times in the first round, and I hesitated. I squandered my chance to jump on him.”

Edgar evened the score in the second round, dropping Henderson with a sharp right hand midway through the frame. The following 15 minutes proved extremely competitive, with both Henderson and Edgar landing effective, if not devastating strikes. In the end, however, it was Henderson who received the nod, much to the disappointment of the former champion.

“Frankie is tough as heck, man. All his fights seem to be controversial,” said Henderson. “I think Frankie is just so good and so tough that if he loses or wins, everything is going to be controversial. Thankfully, [two of the three] guys who were judging the fight ringside had it in my favor.”

Henderson will next defend his title against new No. 1 contender Nate Diaz at a to-be-announced event.

“We haven’t really game planned for [Diaz] just yet. All our concentration definitely had to be on Frankie Edgar,” said Henderson. “Nate is tough. He’s a great fighter, and I’m a fan of his fighting style. I like how he brings it every time. That said, my coaches and I are going to put together a great game plan on how to beat him.”

Comments

Jon Jones passed blood test after UFC 214, different from urine test failure, USADA explains

A USADA spokesperson urges letting “due process occur before jumping to any conclusions” on Jon Jones.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Video: Before UFC 215 title defense, watch Amanda Nunes' wild 1-rounder with Sheila Gaff

After an uneven run with Strikeforce and Invicta FC, Amanda Nunes arrived in the UFC in 2013 with a wild promotional debut against Sheila Gaff.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson plans to keep adding to UFC title defense record – because why would he stop at 11?

Champ Demetrious Johnson believes he still has plenty of competition in the UFC flyweight position.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Coach: Demetrious Johnson's 11th UFC title defense will be 'biggest thing in combat sports'

Demetrious Johnson’s head coach Matt Hume says it’s always been the plan to set the UFC record for most consecutive title defensesFiled under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Amanda Nunes' narrow title defense vs. Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 215

Here’s how Twitter reacted to Amanda Nunes’ split-decision title defense against Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Nunes Seeks 2nd Title Defense vs. Shevchenko in UFC 215 Main Event

Two months after title fight was cancelled the morning of the fight, Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko are finally ready for their rematch with the women's bantamweight championship on the line i read news >>

Twitter reacts to UFC champ Jon Jones' B-sample drug-test failure – and the takes are extra hot

Check out the top Twitter reactions to UFC champ Jon Jones’ positive B-sample drug test.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko changes tune, targets drop to UFC women's flyweight division

Rather than push for another shot at the bantamweight belt, Valentina Shevchenko is targeting the newly opened flyweight division as her next conquest.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Luke Rockhold believes he outclasses David Branch at every turn at UFC Fight Night 116

Returning for the first time since losing his title in June 2016, Luke Rockhold believes he has every advantage over David Branch. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Veteran Mark Hunt Discusses Slurred Speech, Memory Loss

Mark Hunt is almost 20 years deep into his combat sports career and, unfortunately, it's starting to catch up with him. The Super Samoan discussed his physical and mental situation in a piece for Pla read news >>