#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

Rich Franklin

Rich Franklin

Former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin has done it all in the sport of mixed martial arts.

From fighting the big names to winning championships and delivering highlight reel finishes, Franklin’s legacy will be something for future generations of MMA fans to discuss.

Despite the 36-year-old’s achievements, he still remains a very down to earth and humble individual and believes in taking time for his fans.

“A genuine fan, I’ll take time for a genuine fan any day of the week,” Franklin told MMAWeekly Radio.

“You can tell a lot of times when people are a genuine fan.  When some guy walks up and is just in awe, and he doesn’t know what to say, and he’s like, ‘man, my brother is a huge fan too. If I put him on the phone would you just say hi to him?’ I’ll be like, ‘yeah, sure man, put him on the phone.’ I don’t mind doing that stuff. I like to do that stuff. I like to make peoples’ days.”

The kindness Franklin shares with his fans comes partly from how he saw his own brother being treated back when he was 21 years old.  He and his younger brother were valet parking cars at a restaurant and were shown poor treatment from football and baseball star Deion Sanders. From that moment, Franklin vowed that if he were ever famous, he would never treat his fans like that.

“I remember when I was in college, I’ll never forget, my brother and I were valeting cars at a really nice restaurant in downtown Cincinnati at the time.  My brother looks down the corner and my brother goes, ‘that’s Deion Sanders.’ He was playing for the Cincinnati Reds at the time and (my brother) goes ‘man, I’d sure like to get his autograph.’ So I said, ‘go ask him for his autograph,’ and he said ‘I don’t know.’ So I said, ‘come on man, I’ll walk over there with you.

“I’m a 21-year-old kid and my brother is like 18 or 19 and we walk over there.  I’m standing a few feet politely away from my brother, and my brother goes, ‘hey, Deion, can I get your autograph?’ and Deion was just really, really rude to my brother, to the point where I felt bad for him for even asking and I was the one encouraging him to do it.  I just remember when we walked away I told my brother, ‘I swear if I was ever famous, I would never, ever be rude to a fan like that.’  I would never turn someone down for an autograph.”

The Cincinnati resident wants nothing more than to help out his fans and send positive messages their way, so that they can get through their day and the hard times in life.

“I’ve had many e-mail responses and people write in to Facebook and it’ll just be something that I said to them, and you don’t realize on a daily basis what kind of impact you have on somebody’s life.

“I could make a comment about Jesus or say something positive about when they’re having a bad day or maybe they’re going through a health problem and give them that ‘don’t give up the fight.’ Just one little saying that comes out of my mouth, something that didn’t mean anything to me, but meant the world to them.  Like I said, you never know what kind of impact you have on someone else, so, for someone that is a genuine fan, I’d take all day.”

Franklin returns to action on Aug. 6 at UFC 133 in Philadelphia. He faces Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in the night’s co-main event. Rashad Evans headlines the card against late-replacement Tito Ortiz.

Comments

Heading to UFC 217? Fans invited to open workouts, press conference, weigh-ins in NYC

If you’re heading to New York City for this week’s UFC 217 pay-per-view, you’ve got a number of fight-week events you can attend for free.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 draws announced 10,265 fans in Sao Paulo

SAO PAULO – Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 119 event drew an announced attendance of 10,265 fans. UFC officials announced the tally following the event, which MMAjunkie attended. No live gate total was a read news >>

History Will Remember Michael Bisping Kindly, Even If UFC Fans Don't

Michael Bisping isn’t here to make friends. Aside from pure longevity, perhaps the current middleweight champion’s biggest strength throughout his 11-year, 26-fight career in the Octagon has been an read news >>

Dana White Won't Rule Out Greg Hardy Joining UFC

UFC president Dana White wouldn't rule out the possibility of former NFL defensive lineman Greg Hardy eventually joining the MMA promotion. TMZ Sports passed along comments from White as Hardy gets s read news >>

Video: Former NFLer, UFC hopeful Greg Hardy wins MMA debut (but delivers late blow)

Former NFL player Greg Hardy now has a successful amateur-MMA debut under his belt.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Walt Harris will appeal DQ loss to Mark Godbeer at UFC 217: 'He cheated the fans, he cheated me'

In hot water due to a kick that landed after a timeout warning, UFC 217’s Walt Harris clarifies that he simply couldn’t hear the referee amid a combination that had already been put in motion.Filed u read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Does Michael Bisping feel like UFC champ yet? Conor McGregor co-promoter?

Why do some fans still have a hard time buying Michael Bisping as champ, and what demands is the UFC willing to meet to get Conor McGregor back in the cage?Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Fans dress like Georges St-Pierre pumped to see him at UFC 217 press conference

He’s been away for four years, but who says the younger fans don’t remember Georges St-Pierre?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Matt Brown Reflects on Career Heading Into Final UFC Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Matt "The Immortal" Brown reflects on an unforgettable UFC career before making his final walk to the Octagon to take on veteran Diego Sanchez this Saturday. read news >>

Matt Brown having second thoughts about retirement heading into UFC-Norfolk

Matt Brown is only a couple months removed from saying UFC Fight Night 120 against Diego Sanchez would be his final walk to the cage.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>