Former UFC welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz has ended his retirement and signed a three-fight deal with the promotion.
UFC officials today announced the deal, though financial terms of the contract weren’t disclosed.
He’s targeted for an early-2015 return.
“I’ve been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff,” Diaz stated. “I’ve been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It’s been a good experience having this much time off.”
Diaz (26-9 MMA, 7-6 UFC), though, suggested he could return even sooner.
“Next year I guess, whatever though,” he stated. “I can fight tomorrow, tonight. You have to do what you have to do. … [I came today] to sort things out with Dana White and Lorenzo [Fertitta].
“It was hard times for a little bit, but people act like I’ve been doing nothing. I’ve been getting some things done. Just because I’m not getting punched around every day doesn’t mean I’m not focused on what I’m doing. Now, here we are.”
Diaz, a former Strikeforce champion who’s had a rocky relationship with the uFC, has been on the sidelines since a failed bid to capture the UFC welterweight title from then-champ Georges St-Pierre in March 2013. The fight followed Diaz’s failed bid against Carlos Condit for an interim title, but he got the shot at St-Pierre anyway, partially because “GSP” requested.
UFC President Dana White previously said that Diaz had turned down multiple fight offers since the latest title loss. At one point, the UFC executive said he hadn’t given up the idea of the 30-year-old returning.
Despite his retirement, Diaz has often stayed in the news. Earlier this year, he suggested a comeback was imminent, though he later backed off the claim:
More recently, White expressed interest in a potential bout between Diaz and injured ex-middleweight champion Anderson Silva, though the talk ultimately fizzled. However, in today’s announcement, Diaz said it’s still a fight that interests him.
Just this past week, while criticizing Nick Diaz’s younger brother, disgruntled UFC lightweight Nate Diaz, White said the elder Diaz was still a “needle-mover” for the company and a top draw.
For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.view original article >>
Could Anthony Johnson’s MMA retirement be short-lived?Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Vitor Belfort hinted at retirement following his fight against Kelvin Gastelum in March, but has since decided that he's not going anywhere. read news >>
Max Holloway quieted the Rio card with a brutal third-round TKO of longtime UFC featherweight king Jose Aldo, ushering in a new era at 145 pounds. Suddenly every contender has fresh hope, with the ex read news >>
Derrick Lewis’ surprise retirement announcement was just one memorable moment from Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 110 event in Auckland, New Zealand.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
While questions abounded following Jose Aldo's loss to Max Holloway at UFC 212 on Saturday, the former UFC featherweight champion was quick to respond. read news >>
Former Bellator tournament winner and 10-year professional Dave Jansen has signed a multi-fight deal with Russia’s Fight Nights Global.Filed under: News read news >>
Check out the highlights from the UFC Fight Night 110: Lewis vs. Hunt main event on Saturday in Auckland, New Zealand. read news >>
B.J. Penn enters UFC Fight Night 112 sounding like he doesn’t want to stop competing any time soon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Mark Hunt got back on track in Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 110 main event when he defeated Derrick Lewis for his first victory since March 2016. Check out the Twitter reactions.Filed under: Featured, read news >>
Mark Hunt wore Derrick Lewis down, luring him into a TKO stoppage with powerful punches at UFC Fight Night 110 on Saturday in Auckland, New Zealand. read news >>