#UFC 217 #GSP #UFC Fight Night 120 #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Fight One #Cody Garbrandt #Nate Diaz #Dustin Poirier #Anthony Pettis

Matt Hamill has decided to hang up his gloves. | Photo: Terry Goodlad

Two days after suffering a savage defeat at UFC 133, light heavyweight Matt Hamill has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts.

“Today is a sad day for me. After six years and 13 fights in the UFC, I’m ready to hang up my gloves and retire from this amazing sport,” Hamill, 34, wrote in a statement on his official website. “I was ready to make this decision after UFC 130 but my friends, family coaches and most importantly my daughter encouraged me to give it one last chance.”

Hamill’s “last chance” came Saturday at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, where he faced 24-year-old Alexander Gustafsson on less than one month’s notice, having stepped in to replace the injured Vladimir Matyushenko. After a relatively even opening round, “The Hammer” was nailed by a left hand from the Swede and brutally pounded out with elbows from mount. It was Hamill’s second consecutive loss, as the Ohio native also dropped a short-notice unanimous decision to Quinton Jackson in May.

Hamill, a lifelong wrestler who was born deaf, entered the UFC after taking part in the third season of Spike TV reality show “The Ultimate Fighter.” It was then, Hamill said, that the troubles which would ultimately cause him to retire began.

“My career has been plagued by injuries, starting with ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ and [they have] disrupted my training ever since,” wrote Hamill, who withdrew from the “TUF 3” semifinals due to injury. “There hasn’t been even one training camp where I’ve been able to train without training around an injury. I have not been kind to my body and it has nothing left after 28 years of nonstop competition. It’s time to finally give it a rest.”

Though bowing out of the Octagon, Hamill assured fans that he will not be leaving behind MMA altogether.

“I have fallen in love with the sport of mixed martial arts and I will continue to coach at our gym, Mohawk Valley MMA, alongside my teammates and help the next generation of fighters make it to the UFC,” Hamill said. “The UFC has become family to me and I hope to be involved with the number-one mixed martial arts organization in the world as a coach, ambassador and fan for a long time to come.”

Hamill exits the sport with a record of 10-4, including notable victories over Tito Ortiz, Keith Jardine and Mark Munoz. He is the only man to record a win over current UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, the result of a December 2009 disqualification.

Comments

Rawlings announces Calderwood out, newcomer Jessica-Rose Clark in at UFC-Sydney

Injury has forced Joanna Calderwood out of next week’s UFC Fight Night 121 event, according to her intended opponent, Bec Rawlings.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Michael Johnson Announces Featherweight Debut Against Darren Elkins at UFC in St. Louis | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Johnson is officially moving down to 145 pounds for his next fight after announcing on Thursday that he's facing top 10 ranked featherweight Darren Elkins at UFC Fight Night in St. Louis on J read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Andrei Arlovski staves off retirement, outworks Junior Albini

With five consecutive losses, Andrei Arlovski knew the importance of his bout with Junior Albini.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Andrei Arlovski Staves Off Retirement with Win Over Junior Albini (UFC Norfolk Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Andrei Arlovski staved off retirement with a unanimous nod over Junior Albini at UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday in Norfolk, Va. read news >>

UFC Announces 'The Ultimate Fighter' Season 27, Search Underway for Undefeated Fighters | MMAWeekly.com

The next season of "The Ultimate Fighter" has been announced. The UFC will search for undefeated fighters with at least three professional fights on their records to make up the cast for the 27th sea read news >>

Artem Lobov hints at retirement on Twitter following UFC-Gdansk loss to Andre Fili

Artem Lobov’s career appears to be in a state of flux following his loss to Andre Fili at UFC-Gdansk.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Matt Brown having second thoughts about retirement heading into UFC-Norfolk

Matt Brown is only a couple months removed from saying UFC Fight Night 120 against Diego Sanchez would be his final walk to the cage.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Matt Brown after UFC-Norfolk knockout win: Retirement decision can wait until later

Was Matt Brown’s highlight-reel knockout of Diego Sanchez at UFC Fight Night 120 his final appearance in the octagon?Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 results: Jan Blachowicz surprises rushing Devin Clark with vicious choke

Devin Clark’s rushing attack had Jan Blachowicz on his heels in the first round. But in the second, Blachowicz had an answer. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Donald Cerrone Issues Statement Following Crushing Loss to Darren Till at UFC Gdansk

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of Darren Till. He released a statement shortly after the event. read news >>