#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Donald Cerrone #Robbie Lawler

Forrest Griffin says he has a tough cut ahead of him. | Photo: Sherdog.com

Not long after his stunning win over Ryan Bader at UFC 132, Tito Ortiz expressed interest in a rubber match with old rival and fellow ex-light heavyweight champ Forrest Griffin. However, the “Ultimate Fighter” Season 1 winner has no time for the “Huntington Beach Bad Boy” at present, as Griffin is fully focused on his impending rematch with Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 134 in Rio de Janeiro.

Griffin’s recent visit to Brazil was short, but marked by a string of hilarious quotes, including advice for Yushin Okami to do the exact opposite of what Griffin did when the Japanese fighter challenges Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title on the Aug. 27 card.

Along with his dry wit, another feature of Griffin’s stuck out during his trip: his clearly overweight silhouette, something that has been bothering the fighter of late.

“I definitely put on more weight than I would like,” Griffin told Sherdog.com. “I need to cut weight and it won’t be easy. I’ll have a lot of problems until the fight in Brazil, but I’ve gotta do it. I don’t want to fight at heavyweight, so I gotta cut that f--king weight.”

Griffin’s worry over the weight-cut and potential reduction in stamina is explained by his strategy to wear Rua down over the course of their three-round fight.

“He’s one of the best fighters ever,” Griffin said of his opponent, who he submitted in September 2007. “He has a blitz style. He goes forward. He’s dangerous. I gotta make him move backward and let’s see what happens. I want to go hard for all 15 minutes of the fight.”

Accustomed to competing before American crowds, the 32-year-old Griffin believes he will have to overcome a number of other issues in Brazil before he can beat Shogun once again.

“It’s difficult to adjust yourself [to another country],” said Griffin. “There’s the jetlag thing, and it’s difficult to make weight since Brazil doesn’t have the distilled water I use in the U.S. and the food I need to eat. It’s always difficult to change your routine when you go to another country. I feel stupid because I can’t communicate with people from the hotels and can’t even say how I want my eggs. It’s clearly a pain in the ass.”

Galleries

Ryan Bader Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Georges St-Pierre: If Michael Bisping expects same ol' GSP, 'it's a big mistake on his part'

Georges St-Pierre vows to come out aggressively looking to finish middleweight champ Michael Bisping at UFC 217.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Viral sensation Sabina Mazo delivers another stunning high-kick knockout

Five months after a vicious head-kick KO earned Sabina Mazo viral backing, she has repeated the feat.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Featured, Videos read news >>

Rory MacDonald expects competitive Bellator title fight vs. Douglas Lima – but also a finish

Rory MacDonald does believe his second Bellator bout vs. champ Douglas Lima will be more competitive than his debut, but it will end the same.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

No rush for UFC 216's Mara Romero Borella as she savors stunning short-notice debut

For Mara Romero Borella, a more than 2-1 underdog coming into her last-minute UFC debut, the first-round submission over Kalindra Faria was a dream come true. But give her a minute before she figures read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier now targets 2018 for title defense against Volkan Oezdemir

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier expects to defend his title in early 2018, facing upstart Volkan Oezdemir in his first challenge since being re-crowned as the titleholder.Filed under: N read news >>

Heather Hardy Expects to Face a 'Killer' at Bellator 185 | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Heather Hardy (1-0) will seek to keep her momentum going when she takes on Kristina Williams (0-0) in a 125-pound bout at Bellator 185 on Friday. read news >>

Knockout Radio Live: Ryan Bader, Ian McCall, and Alex Nicholson | MMAWeekly.com

• 20 hours ago

Tune in Wednesday at 3:30 pm ET, for Knockout Radio LIVE! with Ryan Bader, Ian McCall, and Alex Nicholson; plus the latest MMA news. read news >>