#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #Jon Jones #Michael Bisping #David Branch #UFC 215 #Saturday Night Fights

Greg Jackson didn’t think Jon Jones should accept a short-notice bout against Chael Sonnen, and the trainer hasn’t changed his view despite strong criticism from UFC President Dana White.

“When it was brought to me, it was a question of, ‘Do you think we should fight Chael Sonnen on basically three days’ notice?’ The fight week doesn’t count,” Jackson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Jordan Breen Show.” “It’s not eight days’ notice. You’re not training and preparing for somebody on that week. You’re cutting weight and doing the media and basically not training at all. You get like 15 minutes. So that was the question that was asked -- ‘Should we fight somebody at Sonnen’s level with three days’ notice? -- and as a trainer I thought absolutely not. I didn’t know that like an entire card was in the balance or anything like that. [Jones] came to me as a trainer and asked me a question, and I advised Jon and I stand by that.”

Jones had been scheduled to fight Dan Henderson on Sept. 1 in the UFC 151 main event. However, Henderson suffered a partial MCL tear. Sonnen, a training partner, agreed to replace him, but Jones declined the bout and the UFC cancelled the event. White blamed Jackson for Jones’ decision, calling the trainer a “sport killer” and adding that he shouldn’t be interviewed by anyone other than a psychiatrist.

“I was asked an opinion,” Jackson said. “I gave it. I gave my advice. I still think that it’s a valid opinion. Again, I’m not a promoter, so I don’t have to deal with the things [White] deals with. I guess part of that is, he’s in his world and I’m kind of in my world. Our worlds are very much the same. We do do a lot of fights in his organization, but he comes at it from he’s got a lot of people to take care of. … He’s also a very passionate guy. I come at it from I want my guys to win as quickly as possible and I want them to be smart in there and treat it as a sport. I guess that the conflict comes there. We just have different personality types. I’m no good at talking bad about people. I never really have been.”

Jackson said he didn’t know the event would be cancelled if Jones declined to fight Sonnen, but that he still stood by his opinion.

“[Sonnen] knows what he’s doing, and obviously he’s been training with Dan Henderson, so he’s been right there in the entire camp helping him get ready for Jones,” Jackson said. “I know he’s in good shape, and it just didn’t seem to me like a smart thing to do on three days’ notice, to fight somebody of that caliber. I feel that it’s a professional sport and it’s the world championship. Fighting somebody on three days’ notice is not something Jon needs to do. That was my opinion, and it still is today. I won’t change it or turn it around. There’s a lot of people that think Jon could blow Chael out of the water, and maybe he could, but preparing for somebody for a world title on three days’ notice, for me, is not something that’s wise.”

Getting on White’s bad side might not be wise either, but Jackson is hoping there won’t be any repercussions for him or his camp because he gave Jones honest advice.

“I gave my two cents,” he said. “I gave my opinion. If Dana hates me because of that, then there’s nothing I can do about it. I certainly hope he doesn’t punish other people because that’s the way I feel about it. I think he’s a better guy than that, but I have no idea. At this point I’m a little taken aback by the whole thing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:47).

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Chael Sonnen Fights

• 3 months ago

Comments

Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jones Cheated | MMAWeekly.com

UFC champion Jon Jones is in the midst facing what could be yet another setback in his life, but his manager refuses to believe he cheated. read news >>

Is Dana White's Relationship with Jon Jones Over? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White briefly talked about his relationship with Jon Jones with the press at the UFC 215 216 media day on Thursday. TRENDING > Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jon read news >>

Dana White isn't optimistic about UFC champ Jon Jones' B sample, laments what could've been

In two words, UFC President Dana White sums up the Jon Jones situation after a failed drug test: “It’s bad.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Gives Jon Jones the 'Benefit of the Doubt' | MMAWeekly.com

Demetrious Johnson goes into explicit detail on the USADA testing procedure, but then leans toward giving Jon Jones the benefit of the doubt. read news >>

Heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic didn't know UFC planned Jon Jones fight, wants better contract

Stipe Miocic simply wants to get paid what he feels is right as the UFC heavyweight champion.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor 'Money Fight' gets Saturday replay on Showtime

If you didn’t shell out the nearly $100 for “The Money Fight” on Saturday, you’ll have a chance to catch a replay at the end of the week.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Talita de Oliveira in for de Randamie vs. Marion Reneau at UFC Fight Night 115

Marion Reneau has a short-notice replacement opponent to keep her bout at UFC Fight Night 115 on Saturday in The Netherlands. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones issues cryptic tweet one week after second drug fail

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is facing a potential four-year suspension and the loss of his undisputed title. But to read his Twitter feed on Sunday, you’d think he had not a care in the read news >>

Conor McGregor's coaches, teammates react to Floyd Mayweather loss

Conor McGregor didn’t get the job done against Floyd Mayweather, but his solid effort was still a prideful moment for coaches and teammates.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Lyoto Machida on what his own suspension taught him about not judging others – like Jon Jones

After serving an 18-month suspension some yhought was too harsh, ex-UFC-champ Lyoto Machida chooses to focus on the positives of time away.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>