#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Nick Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Quinton Jackson #Pancrase #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson

After his successful title defense Saturday at UFC 159, Jon Jones explained his ground-and-pound strategy by saying he wanted to beat Chael Sonnen at his own game.

That was no mistake. In fact, attacking an opponent’s strength is a strategy his camp often utilizes, according to trainer Greg Jackson.

In an interview Monday with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Jackson discussed game plans, preparation and more.

On why Jones wanted to take Sonnen down: “You always have to remember one of the dictums of our strategy is you don’t necessarily stay away from a guy’s strength. If you feel you can do better at it, you can head on attack it. If you take away what your opponent is good at, if that is no longer an option and your opponent hasn’t layered their game plan so there’s no real plan B, where do you go psychologically? It’s always a good idea if you know your guy can outdo the other guy at their strength to charge right at that strength and basically just break them mentally. You want to make sure you’ve taken away their safety zone [and] you’ve taken away what they’re supposed to do. That can have a very, very powerful psychological effect on people.”

On whether Jones set a positive precedent by declining to fight Sonnen at UFC 151 on short notice: “I don’t know. I don’t know if it was a good thing or a bad thing. I just go from fight to fight. The outside parameter stuff is not stuff -- because I’m not a promoter -- that I worry about that much. I’m not sure what kind of a statement it made. I’m not sure of any of the implications. I suppose that’s for people to debate. All I know is … Sonnen is very tough. He got dismantled, but understand that he’s a tough guy. Every argument that you can bring that Chael’s not a tough guy, I have a nice counter for. My favorite is the no punching power and then he drops Anderson Silva. Obviously he’s a very tough guy and he needs to be taken very seriously.

“Jon hit the nail on the head. Part of the reason Jon looked so good and is able to dismantle these people the way he is, is he’s very well prepared. That has a lot to do with it. I think people think that you can just jump in there and fight and win at the highest levels with no preparation, that you just go in there and fight, just do your thing and fight. It doesn’t work like that. You see the people that believe that, that just go in with no preparation, can get very far, but they’ll never be at the top, top level because the world just doesn’t work that way. You need to be prepared.”

On whether he feels vindicated after Dana White had called him a sport killer when Jones declined to fight Sonnen at UFC 151: “No, I don’t think in those terms. Dana and I are cool. It’s not like, ‘Oh, I’m going to prove to everyone.’ I just follow what strategy tells me to follow. Being prepared for your battle and fighting your battles when you’re prepared is a lot older than me, and a lot smarter people than I am have said that.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:58:37).

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Stipe Miocic Has Eyes On Next UFC Heavyweight Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic hasn't fought since May, but he's got his sights set on his next fight. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Still At Odds with Being Handed the UFC Belt Jon Jones Took From Him | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier understands and agrees with why he is once again the UFC light heavyweight champion. He just has a hard time reconciling it emotionally. read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier names Volkan Oezdemir as next title challenger

Daniel Cormier is moving on from Jon Jones and lining up his next fight. Apparently, he’s cutting out the UFC’s matchmaking middlemen too.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Teases His UFC Return, Names Several Possible Opponents | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is nearly ready to resume his UFC career but he's still undecided on who he will face when he steps back inside the Octagon. The reigning UFC lightweight champion took part in a Q&A in read news >>

If successful at UFC 216, UFC champ Demetrious Johnson explains who's next

If victorious at UFC 216, Demetrious Johnson will have the UFC title-defense record. He’ll also have his eye on who’s next.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Is Demetrious Johnson's UFC 216 title defense a tree falling in an empty forest?

Will DJ break a UFC record without anyone batting an eye? What could the right TV deal do for the UFC? Those items and more in this TMB.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Kevin Lee celebrated his (eventually) successful UFC 216 weigh-in with some tiramisu

Kevin Lee clearly has no worries about the fact he nearly missed weight for his interim UFC lightweight championship fight at UFC 216.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Demetrious Johnson's insane submission, record-setting title defense at UFC 216

See the top Twitter reacts to Demetrious Johnson’s title defense vs. Ray Borg in the UFC 216 co-main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Champ Demetrious Johnson breaks down 'Mighty Armbar,' reveals potential knee injury

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson used his opponent’s fighting philosophy against him to break the all-time title defense record at UFC 216.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson was Injured Going into UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

You'd never have known it, but Demetrious Johnson was injured heading into his UFC 216 flyweight title defense against Ray Borg. read news >>