#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Bellator 183 #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Teruto Ishihara

Graham Spencer MFCWhile things didn’t exactly go how MFC featherweight Graham Spencer wanted, 2012 none the less was a successful year where he won both his fights and raised his record to 9-1.

“I only had two fights and would have liked to have been more active, but I had some family issues and stuff I needed to take care of,” Spencer told MMAWeeky.com.

“It would have been nice to get a finish against Shane (Nelson), but he’s a super-tough guy who I think has only been finished once his entire career, so it would have been nice if I could have put him away.”

Having taken steps to make fighting his sole focus, Spencer wants to be more active in 2013.

“Last year I quit my day job, so fighting is full-time for me now, and in order for me to keep that happening, I have to stay active,” he said. “I just can’t have two fights. I’d like to get in four if possible.”

Spencer will get his first chance to reach his fights goal when steps up in weight to rematch Mukai Maromo for the MFC lightweight title on Friday night in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada live on AXS TV.

“Mukai’s got really good striking and is going to be bigger than me – since this is my first fight at lightweight and I’m really not cutting any weight – he’s going to be big and super-athletic, but if I can get the fight to the ground I should have a pretty good time in there,” said Spencer.

“I’m also going to keep pushing the pace on him. He’s a big, muscular guy and I’m going to try to use that against him and make him tired. And because I’m not cutting any weight at all, I should have a lot of energy.”

Spencer confirmed that moving up to lightweight to fight Maromo is just a one-time thing, as win or lose, he fully intends on returning to 145 pounds once the division gets deeper in the MFC.

“I’m not going to be staying at lightweight,” said Spencer. “This is just a one-time thing.

“They didn’t really have any other featherweights for me at the moment. I know Mark (Pavelich, MFC Promoter) has got some big plans for building the featherweight division after this, and after this I think I’ll be right up there and be – if not the top guy – one of the top guys in the division for sure.”

Comments

Watch Stefan Struve Make Short Work of Lavar Johnson (UFC Rotterdam Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Stefan Struve submit Lavar Johnson in 2012. read news >>

VanZant Puts Weight-Cutting Struggle Behind Her In Move to 125

Paige VanZant is making her debut at flyweight at UFC 216 after dealing with weigh cutting issues for her last few fights. Rejuvenated, PVZ looks to make a statement when she takes on former bantamwe read news >>

Grady Hurley Plans to Prove That He's the Real Deal in LFA 21 Co-Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Grady Hurley (16-1) will look to take his overall winning streak to 14 wins in a row when he makes his LFA debut against Kevin Holland (9-3) on Friday. read news >>

Conor McGregor Says Nate Diaz Has to Come to Lightweight for the Trilogy | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor hasn't said for certain what he plans to do after fighting Floyd Mayweather this past weekend in Las Vegas, but a trilogy bout against Nate Diaz appears to be at the top of everyone's read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115's Alexander Volkov credits Russian media for making Stefan Struve fight

To hear Alexander Volkov tell it, the Russian media is why he’s facing Stefan Struve at UFC Fight Night 115 – not that he was opposed.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Justin Gaethje Says Conor McGregor Is 'Terrified' of His Style, Plans to Go 30-0

There was a point in the not-so-distant past that Justin Gaethje was so unknown he was without a Wikipedia entry. Now the UFC newcomer is making headlines in and out of the cage. The Ultimate Fighter read news >>

Reebok didn't flub Demetrious Johnson's T-shirt; UFC champ plans on changing his nickname

It looked like the UFC’s official apparel partner flubbed again with Demetrious Johnson’s nickname. Not so, says “Mighty Mouse” (for now).Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>

Just 1 year into pro career, UFC's Cynthia Calvillo looks for perfect 5-0 calendar year

A year into her pro MMA career, Cynthia Calvillo is already making a splash in the UFC. She hopes to conclude 2017 with a perfect 5-0 mark.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson plans to keep adding to UFC title defense record – because why would he stop at 11?

Champ Demetrious Johnson believes he still has plenty of competition in the UFC flyweight position.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Paige VanZant: 'I Was Killing Myself for This Sport' Making Weight | MMAWeekly.com

Paige VanZant returns to the Octagon on October 7 on the UFC 216 main card against Jessica Eye in a women's flyweight bout. read news >>