#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nick Diaz #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Quinton Jackson #Pancrase #Fight Night Rotterdam #Demetrious Johnson

glover-teixeira-18.jpg(This story appears in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

Glover Teixeira was cageside for the epic light heavyweight encounter between UFC titleholder Jon Jones and Swedish contender Alexander Gustafsson, and the Brazilian slugger says it was “one of the greatest fights I’ve ever watched.”

With UFC President Dana White suggesting a Jones vs. Gustafsson rematch could be next, Teixeira concedes he’d love to see the pair tangle again — after he gets his shot at the belt.

“Even I want to watch that fight again,” Teixeira told USA TODAY Sports. “But it’s hard to say I’m OK with it, because I worked so hard to get this opportunity. I felt like I had my hands right there on the chance, and now they’re going to take it away from me, and who knows for how long? It could be a year from now. It’s really upsetting to me.”

Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) fought most recently Sept.4, scoring a first-round technical knockout against perennial contender Ryan Bader in the main event of UFC Fight Night 28. With the win, Teixeira ran his streak to 20 and was named the division’s No.1 contender.

So Teixeira attended Saturday’s UFC 165 at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre as an opportunity to scout his next opponent. Would it be Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC), the top pound-for-pound fighter in the sport, or Gustafsson (15-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC), the 6-5 challenger who was the first opponent to match the champ in terms of physical stature?

“It was a very close fight, but I scored the first round for Gustafsson and all the other rounds to Jones even though it was close — very close,” Teixeira said. “Jones was getting hit a lot, but also he was pushing forward and trying to get takedowns, as well as catching Gustafsson with kicks and elbows.”

Judge Chris Lee agreed with Teixeira’s assessment, while Richard Bertrand and Doug Crosby each gave Jones three of five rounds, earning the champion a win by unanimous decision after an incredible 25 minutes, one of the best title fights in UFC light heavyweight history.

While he came up short in his bid for the title, Gustafsson became the first man to truly test Jones, and many fans said the challenger should have been awarded the result. At the post-event media conference, White said his immediate preference was to book the pair for a second encounter but he would wait a few weeks to make an official decision.

Teixeira said if the company elected to go in that direction, he’d ask for another fight and remain active rather than wait on the sideline for another promise of a title bid.

“There’s no way I’m just going to sit around,” Teixeira said. “I’m healthy. I’m good. I had a few minor injuries before the fight with Bader, but nothing major, and we’re getting it taken care of. I could be ready to fight in three or four months, and I don’t want to wait. If they’re going to do this rematch, then I want to get in there and fight someone else.”

Teixeira said he hadn’t spoken with UFC officials but was awaiting their decision. If they’re listening, Teixeira thinks the rematch can wait.

“I want that title shot,” Teixeira said. “That’s all I want. I’ll sit back and wait and cross my fingers.”

For complete coverage of UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Alexander Gustafsson and Jon Jones)

Galleries

Glover Teixeira Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk hopes to break Ronda Rousey's record – 125 then possible

Although her focus is on UFC 217 opponent Rose Namajunas, champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk is still considering a move up to flyweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Charles Rosa hopes to get rebooked soon after UFC Fight Night 117 scratch

Featherweight Charles Rosa said the promotion compensated him in spite of his canceled fight against Mizuto Hirota at UFC Fight Night 117.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Kevin Lee Explains Why He Hopes Tony Ferguson Can Survive to the Championship Rounds at UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee isn't lacking confidence ahead of his first title fight at UFC 216 read news >>

UFC on FOX 26 tickets on sale this week, and $316 Canadian gets you cageside

• 13 hours ago

The UFC returns to Winnipeg next month, and tickets for the event go on sale this week. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fans invited to Friday's UFC Fight Night 118 weigh-ins, Q&A, autograph signing in Poland

• 12 hours ago

If you’re in Poland for UFC Fight Night 118, you’ll have an opportunity to get up close to a pair of standout fighters at the weigh-ins.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Patrick Cummins says he's off UFC 217 fight card due to 'mutant staph infection'

• 11 hours ago

Patrick Cummins says he will no longer compete at next month’s mega-UFC 217 card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'UFC on the Fly': Behind the scenes with UFC-Gdansk headliner Darren Till

• 10 hours ago

England’s Darren Till has been considered one of the UFC’s best prospects since he came to the promotion in 2015. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Holly Holm Fires Back at Cris Cyborg Over Badgering about USADA Drug Testing | MMAWeekly.com

• 10 hours ago

The fight between UFC women's featherweight champion Cris "Cyborg" Justino and Holly Holm isn't official yet but they sure are behaving like two fighters preparing to do battle. This week, Cyborg has read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2544 with UFC's Colby Covington

• 10 hours ago

Stream or download Monday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guest Colby Covington.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>