Despite earning the biggest win of his career Saturday night, Glover Teixeira is not ready to name himself the UFC light heavyweight division’s No. 1 contender, nor is he pining for a shot at the winner of Jon JonesUFC 159 title defense against Chael Sonnen.

“That’s not my job. The No. 1 contender right now is Chael Sonnen. You have to respect that,” Teixeira told Fox Sports after his unanimous decision victory over Quinton Jackson in the co-main event of UFC on Fox 6. “I think Chael is a good fighter, but I believe Jones is going to keep the title. [Waiting for the winner] is going to take too long. I want to fight before that.”

Teixeira put forth an excellent performance at United Center in Chicago, mixing up punches, kicks and takedowns to keep Jackson on his toes throughout the 15 minute contest. Teixeira even dropped “Rampage” near the end of the first frame but was unable to finish the resilient veteran.

“He’s tough, man. I knew he was tough. This is a guy who has pride. I hit him with good shots, but he hits hard, too,” said Teixeira. “I couldn’t become cocky in that situation and get caught with a punch, so I took my time. I swear, I hit him hard. I hurt him, and I thought it was going to be a knockout.”

Though the Pit representative never relinquished control of the contest to his battle-tested foe, the Brazil native said the third frame proved to be the most challenging due to a nagging rib issue sustained in training camp. Still, he credits Jackson’s toughness and punching power for forcing him to go the distance.

“I had a little problem with my body before I came to this fight. My rib was a little hurt, and I felt it a little bit in the third round, but there are no excuses. I wasn’t going to [give] excuses if I lost this fight, so there are no excuses [for not finishing my opponent],” said Teixeira. “Quinton is a tough son of a gun. It was just a little problem, and I guarantee he had the same [type] of thing, too. No fighter comes in 100 percent. If you come 100 percent to a fight, it means you’re not training.”

In spite of the well documented pre-fight hype between the men, Teixeira maintains that he has always been a fan of the former champion and his fighting style. Soon after the bout concluded, Teixeira said the veteran reciprocated the attitude, offering both respect and encouragement.

“I’m a big fan of Quinton Jackson. He’s my idol,” said Teixeira. “[After the fight, Jackson] said, ‘Now I’m your fan. Go and be a champion.’ I would never disrespect him. It was amazing. It was a great fight with him.”

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Francis Ngannou adds Cain Velasquez to hit list with Alistair Overeem, Junior Dos Santos

DENVER – After knocking out former UFC heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski, Francis Ngannou listed Alistair Overeem and ex-champ Junior Dos Santos as two fighters he’d like to face next. Filed under: F read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 results: Valentina Shevchenko taps Julianna Pena for first submission win in nearly 11 years

DENVER – Valentina Shevchenko cut the line in the women’s bantamweight division, outgrappling Julianna Pena to pitch herself as the next title contender.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

UFC on Fox 23 Results: The Real Winners and Losers from Denver Fight Card

If you slumbered on UFC on Fox 23, you missed a title eliminator bout, one of the best action fights possible in the welterweight division and the most exciting prospect in the heavyweight division. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jorge Masvidal vs. Donald Cerrone

It took something special to shut down Donald Cerrone’s yearlong run at welterweight. And that turned out to be Jorge Masvidal.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jason Knight Taps Out Alex Caceres (UFC Denver Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Jason Knight's rear-naked choke submission of Alex Caceres at UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena in Denver. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Francis Ngannou vs. Andrei Arlovski

Is Francis Ngannou ready for the next level of heavyweight opponent? The answer likely is: Oui. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko Submits Juliana Pena (UFC Denver Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Valentina Shevchenko submit Julianna Pena by armbar at UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena in Denver. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Valentina Shevchenko vs. Julianna Pena

People may have been picking Valentina Shevchenko to beat Julianna Pena. But no one was really expecting her to get it done on the ground.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>