#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Rizin 7 #Tony Ferguson #Nick Diaz #GSP #Kevin Lee #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #Michael Bisping

Despite earning the biggest win of his career Saturday night, Glover Teixeira is not ready to name himself the UFC light heavyweight division’s No. 1 contender, nor is he pining for a shot at the winner of Jon JonesUFC 159 title defense against Chael Sonnen.

“That’s not my job. The No. 1 contender right now is Chael Sonnen. You have to respect that,” Teixeira told Fox Sports after his unanimous decision victory over Quinton Jackson in the co-main event of UFC on Fox 6. “I think Chael is a good fighter, but I believe Jones is going to keep the title. [Waiting for the winner] is going to take too long. I want to fight before that.”

Teixeira put forth an excellent performance at United Center in Chicago, mixing up punches, kicks and takedowns to keep Jackson on his toes throughout the 15 minute contest. Teixeira even dropped “Rampage” near the end of the first frame but was unable to finish the resilient veteran.

“He’s tough, man. I knew he was tough. This is a guy who has pride. I hit him with good shots, but he hits hard, too,” said Teixeira. “I couldn’t become cocky in that situation and get caught with a punch, so I took my time. I swear, I hit him hard. I hurt him, and I thought it was going to be a knockout.”

Though the Pit representative never relinquished control of the contest to his battle-tested foe, the Brazil native said the third frame proved to be the most challenging due to a nagging rib issue sustained in training camp. Still, he credits Jackson’s toughness and punching power for forcing him to go the distance.

“I had a little problem with my body before I came to this fight. My rib was a little hurt, and I felt it a little bit in the third round, but there are no excuses. I wasn’t going to [give] excuses if I lost this fight, so there are no excuses [for not finishing my opponent],” said Teixeira. “Quinton is a tough son of a gun. It was just a little problem, and I guarantee he had the same [type] of thing, too. No fighter comes in 100 percent. If you come 100 percent to a fight, it means you’re not training.”

In spite of the well documented pre-fight hype between the men, Teixeira maintains that he has always been a fan of the former champion and his fighting style. Soon after the bout concluded, Teixeira said the veteran reciprocated the attitude, offering both respect and encouragement.

“I’m a big fan of Quinton Jackson. He’s my idol,” said Teixeira. “[After the fight, Jackson] said, ‘Now I’m your fan. Go and be a champion.’ I would never disrespect him. It was amazing. It was a great fight with him.”

Galleries

Glover Teixeira Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Tony Ferguson to Conor McGregor: Put the UFC Belt Down and Nobody Gets Hurt

Tony Ferguson scored arguably the biggest win of his MMA career Saturday night when he submitted Kevin Lee to capture the interim UFC lightweight championship. On paper, that victory should have been read news >>

Robbie Lawler vs. Rafael dos Anjos headlines UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

The UFC announced today that Robbie Lawler will take on Rafael dos Anjos in the headliner for UFC on FOX 26.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Galore Bofando vs. Chad Laprise among additions to UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

With the main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg now set, the card below it continues to build. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas rematch co-headlines UFC on FOX 26; Perry-Ponzinibbio, Mein-Silva added

A featherweight rematch from a past title fight has been booked as the co-main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg in December.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Tony Ferguson's Championship Choke (UFC 216 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from Tony Ferguson's interim lightweight title victory over Kevin Lee at UFC 216 on Satur read news >>

Cris Cyborg vs. Holly Holm Is Biggest Women's Fight UFC Can Muster in Down 2017

It's borderline miraculous that Cris "Cyborg" Justino and Holly Holm appear to be closing in on a women's featherweight title fight for UFC 219. Not so long ago, these two women were both down and ou read news >>

Trading Shots: On toughness, tapping to strikes, and the things that only fighters know

David Branch tapped to strikes at UFC Fight Night 116, which usually earns fighters some criticism from fans and peers. But when others fight past the point of good sense, was this actually the smart read news >>

Watch Ovince Saint Preux Make Quick Work of Shogun Rua (UFC Japan Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Ovince Saint Preux make quick work of Mauricio "Shogun" Rua with a quick, brutal finish. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Tells TMZ He Wants to Fight Jon Jones Again

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier revealed he would be happy to fight Jon Jones for a third time. Jones was stripped of the title he won against Cormier at UFC 214 after the bout was rule read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan

We want your picks for UFC Fight Night 117 event in Japan, which features a new main event between Yushin Okami and Ovince Saint Preux.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>