The highly anticipated Dream press conference, announcing the promotion’s return to active duty in Japan, has wrapped up and here’s what AsianMMA.com took away from it.
- As AsianMMA.com previously reported, Pierre Andurand and Glory Sports International are bankrolling the show.
- Bas Boon, the man behind the original Glory World Series kickboxing events, helped orchestrate the whole deal to hold a New Year’s Eve show.
- Former K-1 and Dream owner FEG has no involvement at all with the current iteration of Dream.
- Glory hopes to hold 10 events in Japan next year, though officials made no mention of how many will be MMA and how many will be kickboxing.
- Dream.18 New Year’s Eve Special will bring back the high production value that Dream originally had under its past ownership.
- Dream.18 aims to have 13 fights: 10 MMA and three kickboxing bouts.
- Boon said he would like to carry on the tradition of having a kickboxer vs. mixed martial artist fight.
- Satoru Kitaoka, Hiroyuki Takaya and Tatsuya Kawajiri are the only confirmed fighters for Dream.18 thus far.
- Like past Dream New Year’s Eve events, and Pride and K-1 before that, Dream.18 New Year’s Eve Special will be held at the Saitama Super Arena.
Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com and official content partner AsianMMA.com for all the latest in mixed martial arts news and updates from Asia.
The bout order and broadcast plans are set for Friday’s Cage Warriors 84 event.Filed under: Cage Warriors, News read news >>
RIO DE JANEIRO – The habitually quiet Jose Aldo spoke to MMAjunkie about Saturday’s UFC 212 headliner opposite Max Holloway and the future both in and outside of the UFC’s featherweight division.File read news >>
Vitor Belfort announced his plans to retire after his fight at UFC 212 against Nate Marquardt. Now he's not so sure if he's ready to walk away. read news >>
Despite a rocky start to his UFC career, Oluwale Bamgbose doesn’t lack confidence heading into Saturday’s pay-per-view fight vs. undefeated Paulo Borrachinha.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, read news >>
UFC president Dana White addresses Al Iaquinta's criticisms of the fight promotion and talks about his relationship with the No. 11 ranked lightweight. read news >>
The UFC’s second event in New Zealand takes place Saturday when UFC Fight Night 110 goes down from Spark Arena in Auckland.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
An intriguing featherweight bout between Dooho Choi and Andre Fili won’t be happening at UFC 214. However, Fili still plans to fight at the event. Filed under: News read news >>
UFC President Dana White said lightweight champ Conor McGregor is currently planning to return to the octagon this year, but “you don’t know when you cash the check” after his Floyd Mayweather extrav read news >>
Fedor Emelianenko has already done the retirement thing once and ended up coming back. During this current run, he’s not going to put any limitations on himself, and wants to make sure that the next read news >>
Heavyweight Matt Mitrione isn't mesmerized by Fedor Emelianenko's career accomplishments and plans to knocked the Russian out when they meet on June 24. read news >>