#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Rizin 7 #Michael Bisping

Gilbert Melendez vs. Jorge Masvidal at StrikeforceStrikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez wanted to be a part of the promotion’s final show, but his injured shoulder had other ideas.

Melendez suffered the injury prior to his last scheduled fight against Pat Healy in September. Despite his best attempts at getting back in fight shape, the healing process just didn’t go as planned to allow him to fight in January.

“I was looking forward to doing the fight and I wanted to do it, I just wanted to test my shoulder to be 100-percent to compete. I said I really want to do this fight, let me just make sure my shoulder is good. We were all positive thinking my shoulder would hold up, and I want to fight, but my shoulder didn’t hold up. It did re-injure  and I did pick it up a little too early,” Melendez told MMAWeekly Radio recently.

“I’m sorry about that to Pat (Healy), but it is what it is.”

For now, Melendez is focused on getting healthy so he can book his next fight, which may very well be in the UFC, as Strikeforce is expected to close up shop following its January event. As far as his contract is concerned, Melendez doesn’t have much more information than the rest of us when it comes to Strikeforce’s ultimate fate and the fighters moving over to compete in the Octagon.

Of course Melendez is ready for that challenge whenever it happens, and he’s eyeing the top spot on day one.

“Your eyes are always on the guy with the UFC strap. Your eyes were on Frankie Edgar for a long time, and B.J. (Penn) for a long time, and everyone needs to adapt for the champ, to figure out how to beat them. I think about it all the time with Benson (Henderson),” said Melendez.

Henderson recently defeated Melendez’s teammate Nate Diaz to defend his UFC lightweight title. As much as he could with an injured shoulder, Melendez was there every day to help his teammate get ready, and it helped him start to break down how he would fight the UFC champion when his turn comes.

Melendez knows that he is the other obstacle standing in Henderson’s way from defining himself as the No. 1 lightweight in the world, so why not put that fight together and answer all the questions?

“If he wants to be undoubtedly No. 1, I think that would be a good victory for him to prove it or for me to prove otherwise. Another fight if I was in the UFC would be fine with me as well, but I’m ready now,” said Melendez.

“The fire was lit a couple of weeks ago. Since the buzz has been out, the fire has been lit. I definitely feel that.”

For now Melendez is focused on getting healthy. He heads back to the doctor next week and hopes to get final clearance to return to fight training.

Then it’s all about getting in shape and getting ready for the next challenge ahead. Melendez certainly hopes that challenge is named Benson Henderson.

“I hope everyone would get as excited as I would be about that,” Melendez stated. “In a perfect world. I’d love that fight with Benson, I really would.”

Be sure to follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Twitter.

Comments

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Who Do You Think Won? (Benson Henderson vs. Patricky Pitbull Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson and Patricky "Pitbull" Freire fought to a split decision in the Bellator 183 main event. Watch the full fight. read news >>

Video: Ex-champ Anderson Silva, Kelvin Gastelum face off for UFC Fight Night 122

Anderson Silva and Kelvin Gastelum face off for the first time ahead of UFC Fight Night 122 on Nov. 25. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White Responds to Reports of Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3 at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor may very well be plotting his return to the Octagon but reports that he's agreed to meet Nate Diaz at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 are premature. Several outlets began reporting over the weekend read news >>

Back injury knocks Paige VanZant out of flyweight fight vs. Jessica Eye at UFC 216

An injury has forced Paige VanZant out of her flyweight debut against Jessica Eye at UFC 216 in Las Vegas. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Paige VanZant vs. Jessica Eye Scrapped from UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 216 is down one marquee fight on the main card. Due to an injury suffered by Paige VanZant, the flyweight matchup against Jessica Eye has been scrapped from the event taking place next weekend in read news >>

His Star May Be Rising Now, but Anthony Smith Took the Long Way to UFC Success

It wasn’t that long ago. Anthony Smith still clearly remembers the time when he and his girlfriend had to shake down the couch cushions for change so they could get something to eat. He also remember read news >>

Scott Holtzman vs. Darrell Horcher first bout added to UFC Fight Night 123 in Fresno

UFC Fight Night 123 is taking shape with a lightweight bout between Scott Holtzman and Darrell Horcher.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117's Syuri Kondo wants to add UFC champ to long list of accomplishments

Syuri Kondo has just about done it all in combat sports and entertainment. But there’s one mountain she hasn’t yet climbed, and that’s in the UFC women’s strawweight division.Filed under: News, UFC, read news >>

Claudia Gadelha Taking Some Time Off After Disappointing Loss at UFC Japan | MMAWeekly.com

Following a disappointing showing against Jessica Andrade at UFC Japan, Claudia Gadelha is taking a step away from the sport to catch her breath. read news >>