#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #Michael Bisping

Gilbert Melendez at Strikeforce 20Gilbert Melendez makes his long awaited UFC debut on April 20, fighting for the UFC lightweight title against champion Benson Henderson.

The last reigning Strikeforce 155-pound titleholder has fought in every major MMA promotion on the planet outside of the UFC.  He’s competed in the WEC, Rumble on the Rock, Shooto, PRIDE, and Strikeforce, but it wasn’t until he signed with the UFC that he’s received the recognition he’s deserved.

“It’s crazy.  I’ve done a lot in the sport.  Still, you don’t get the credit until you’re a part of the UFC brand.  I can already see it just walking the streets the power of the UFC brand,” Meledenz said in a recent interview with former MMAWeekly.com Radio co-host Frank Trigg.

“It does feel good.  It feels good to get the respect. It’s a big milestone.  It’s quite an accomplishment just to say I’m fighting for the UFC title.  It will be even better to say I won it, but it is quite an accomplishment already,” he said.

Henderson (18-2) is arguably the toughest opponent Melendez has faced in his career.  He brings a diverse skill set and unparalleled conditioning.

“He doesn’t have the most devastating striking, the most devastating wrestling and grappling, but he transitions well and he’s a real mixed martial artist,” said Melendez about Henderson. “What he does best is he can put everything together really well.  A lot of guys are a little more predictable or do a certain strength and he’s a guy that puts it together.”

Melendez does feel he’s faces someone similar to Henderson three times before, Josh Thomson.

“I have been fighting Josh Thomson quite a bit.  He’s actually a guy like that as well, a real well-rounded mixed martial artist.  People usually have their strengths and Josh Thomson and him are guys that I feel are really good at putting it all together,” he said.

Melendez won’t know until he’s in the Octagon with Henderson at UFC on Fox 7 on April 20, but feels he sees some tendencies from Henderson that he can exploit.

“I can’t say I see his tells.  I usually get the feel while I’m out there.  I try to create reactions when I fight.  I try to make things happen,” said Melendez. “I try to make him bite, and I have my ideas to draw him into my fight, or to draw him into my fight.  But I do see some tendencies that he does, the way he circles, the way he plays with his hair.  There’s a couple of things I do see and that I want to capitalize on.

“You never really know until you lock horns with someone.  You know he has that good footwork.  You know he has that big kick.  You know he has that shot, but you don’t know when it’s coming.  The trick is to not be so scared of it, or wait for it.  People run away from the kick.  I’m not scared of the kick.  I’m not scared of the takedown.  I’m going to meet him head-on.”

Comments

Dana White Opens Up About Tragic Las Vegas Shooting, Dishes on All Things UFC (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White sat down with the Wall Street Journal for an extended interview, opening up about the tragic Las Vegas shooting and covering all things UFC. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 results: Marcelo Golm makes easy work of Christian Colombo in debut

In his UFC debut, heavyweight Marcelo Golm beat up Christian Colombo on the feet, then took him to the canvas for an easy submission.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre's Coach Makes His Octagon Debut at UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Though Georges St-Pierre has a wealth of experience in the Octagon, one of his most trusted coaches will be in his corner for the first time at UFC 217. read news >>

Even with a UFC 217 Win, GSP Still Isn't Big Enough to Fight Conor McGregor

Things change. Things change a lot in four years. Think of how the world looked four years ago. Some examples: America had no idea what MAGA was an abbreviation for, Canada was staunchly against lega read news >>

UFC 217 results: Georges St-Pierre makes history, chokes out Michael Bisping to win 185 title

After four years away, Georges St-Pierre made UFC history on Saturday night. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Matt Brown having second thoughts about retirement heading into UFC-Norfolk

Matt Brown is only a couple months removed from saying UFC Fight Night 120 against Diego Sanchez would be his final walk to the cage.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Johny Hendricks' comical UFC 217 weigh-in included an underwear disclaimer

Even when he makes weight, Johny Hendricks knows how to bring some drama to a UFC weigh-in. This time, though, he also brought some laughs.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Fabricio Werdum not so sure Alistair Overeem-Francis Ngannou winner deserves UFC title shot

Fabricio Werdum makes his case for why he deserves the next shot at Stipe Miocic with a win at UFC-Sydney.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 217 press conference face-offs: Lots of trash-talk (and Georges St-Pierre smiling)

Things were intense during the UFC 217 press conference face-offs that featured all six title-fight participants – except for maybe GSP.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC makes debut in Belem, Brazil, with UFC Fight Night event on Feb. 3

A UFC Fight Night event will takes place Feb. 3 in at Mangueirinho Gymnasium in Belem, Brazil.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>