Gilbert Melendez didn’t exactly look forward to fighting Josh Thomson for a third time, but after pulling out a split decision to win the trilogy, he thinks he’ll be more excited for his next Strikeforce lightweight title defense.

“It’s a little tough getting up for these fights but more tough getting up for Josh Thomson, a real tough guy and a guy that you never look forward to fighting and you’d thought you’d moved passed it,” Melendez told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I’m just glad that’s over with. But someone like [Pat] Healy, I think that could be pretty interesting.”

Healy, who has won four straight, could be Melendez’s next opponent. There have also been rumors that a challenger from the UFC could cross over to Strikeforce.

“That would be great, and maybe it will happen,” Melendez said. “Maybe it will happen. I just can’t be worrying about it too much or let it get to me too much. I just have to continue to work hard and do my thing. But it would be really cool if for some reason the fight gods decided to send someone over for me that gets us real motivated and makes the fans real excited and gets people interested in seeing it.”

Melendez is in a tough spot. He’s ranked No. 3 in the world, but most of the best lightweights are in the UFC. In Strikeforce he could be left fighting opposition not quite at his level, putting him in a situation where he gets criticized even after wins.

“As of now I’m just going to have to deal with the criticism,” Melendez said. “I’m damned if I do, damned if I don’t in my situation right now. I don’t even want to preach that I’m the number one fighter in the world anymore. I just want to go do my thing in Strikeforce, and if somehow that opportunity comes up where I can prove it and fight some of the top talent, then I’m definitely up for it. But as of now, I’m going to be doing my thing here. I’m happy with Strikeforce and I’m happy with Showtime overall. Just sometimes you want different talent, but I’m happy overall.”

At times it has looked as if Melendez would make the jump to the UFC. For now, though, his home is Strikeforce.

“It’s tough, man, but right now at least I know I’m going to be in Strikeforce,” he said. “It was a little more tough when you think you might be going and you don’t know what’s going on. You have hopes. You have mixed emotions. Now I know I’m in Strikeforce and I know what I’m dealing with. I’m going to be up for my next fight. I’m going to be up for it.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:25:50).

Josh Thomson vs. Patricky 'Pitbull' Freire set as Bellator 172 co-main event

Josh Thomson’s next fight won’t be a championship showdown with Bellator lightweight titleholder Michael Chandler. Instead, it will come against Patricky Freire at Bellator 172 next month.Filed under read news >>

Dominick Cruz dismisses Raphael Assuncao's callout, says next fight will be for UFC belt

Dominick Cruz didn’t get an immediate rematch after he lost the UFC bantamweight title to Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207 in December. However, if the former champ is to be believed, his next fight will st read news >>

Josh Thomson Faces Patricky 'Pitbull' in Bellator 172 Co-Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

A lightweight feature bout pitting Josh Thomson (22-8, 1 NC) against Patricky "Pitbull" (16-8) will serve as the co-main event of Bellator 172. read news >>

Amanda Nunes offers apology to Ronda Rousey for post-fight UFC 207 comments

Amanda Nunes didn’t mince many words after she tore through Ronda Rousey in December to defend the UFC women’s bantamweight title. But now she’s walking some of them back a little.Filed under: News, read news >>

Mike Jackson to CM Punk: 'Let's see who the real can is'

Mike Jackson didn’t show up to this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 event to push a fight with Phil “CM Punk” Brooks. He was just there to work.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Carlos Vera Looks Forward to Testing Joel Scott at LFA 3 | MMAWeekly.com

Carlos Vera looks to pick up his fifth straight win when he makes his LFA debut on February 10 against veteran Joel Scott in a main card 135-pound bout. read news >>

Holly Holm Sees a Rematch with Germaine de Randamie as 'Warranted' | MMAWeekly.com

Holly Holm’s evening at UFC 208 didn’t end like she wanted. She thought she won a five-round fight and would be crowned featherweight champion. read news >>

Bellator 172's Patricky Freire has a lot of respect for Josh Thomson, but still wants to rip his head off

Ahead of Bellator 172’s co-headliner this Friday, Patricky “Pitbull” Freire sees Josh Thomson as the biggest fight in his career and is not counting on his opponent’s ring rust.Filed under: Bellator, read news >>

'Big man on campus' Josh Thomson: I'll fight Bellator champ Michael Chandler on my terms

"I'll fight him when I want to fight him. I know he's the champion, but whenever I decide I want to fight him, I'll fight him," Josh Thomson says of eventually fighting lightweight champ Michael Chan read news >>

Patricky Freire: I'm the first dangerous opponent for Josh Thomson in Bellator

The opportunity for a big rebound victory at Bellator 172 is there for Patricky Freire, who believes he presents a challenge that Josh Thomson has never encountered in Bellator.Filed under: Bellator, read news >>