#UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #GSP #TJ Dillashaw #Cody Garbrandt #UFC Fight Night 55

Gilbert Melendez Strikefore20_PostGilbert Melendez waited patiently for years to finally compete in the UFC and prove whether or not he was indeed the best 155-pound fighter in the world.

He finally got that opportunity on Saturday when he faced UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson in the UFC on Fox 7 main event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Melendez set the pace early, while the middle rounds went to Henderson.  Melendez battled back, winning the final round on two of the three cageside judges’ scorecards, but it wasn’t enough.  Henderson was declared the winner by split decision, although Melendez felt he did enough to win the fight.

“It was a tough fight.  I really thought I got (rounds) one, two, lost three, four.  I thought I definitely did enough to win the fifth, and I thought I won three to two,” said Melendez following the loss during the UFC Post Show on Fuel TV.

As the scores were being read, Melendez expected to have his hand raised.

“I really thought so.  He walked forward.  I walked forward.  When I walked forward I think I did bigger attacks, and I thought I landed cleaner punches.  He hit me, but they were all on the forehead.  I left him pretty bloody, I think.  He has some really good kicks.  Again, I thought I won (rounds) one, two.  I can see him winning the three and four, but I thought I came strong in the fifth and stole the fight,” he said.

“I’ve got to watch the tape.  Benson is a stud.  He’s a tricky guy to hit.  He’s very tough to hit,” said Melendez about the champion.

Melendez is left pondering the what-ifs now, what could have been.

“It was my chance to try and take it more and I didn’t.  I just felt like I had the first two rounds, and I felt like I kind of kept it in the bank for the fifth.  That was the game plan.  I knew I lost the third and the fourth.  I really saved it for the fifth.  I felt like I looked tired in the fourth, but I thought I looked way more energetic in the fifth, and I thought he looked a lot more tired,” he said.

“I’m just heartbroken right now.”

Comments

Dana White Says UFC Is 'Planning On' Conor McGregor Fighting in 2017

Conor McGregor's UFC return could be coming sooner than previously thought. UFC president Dana White said the promotion is in talks with McGregor to return to the Octagon sometime before the end of 2 read news >>

Nina Ansaroff contemplates having baby with UFC champ Amanda Nunes, though decision not clear

Nina Ansaroff is giving serious thought about her future both in and out of the UFC.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch Alistair Overeem Bust Up Junior Dos Santos in the UFC Knockout of the Week | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Alistair Overeem bust up Junior Dos Santos in the UFC Knockout of the Week. read news >>

UFC-Shanghai headliner Kelvin Gastelum talks 'badass' Bisping – and why he wants a Woodley rematch

A couple weeks back, Kelvin Gastelum was sick to his stomach over what might happen to his third UFC main event with his opponent out.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 122 Preview: 3 Can't-Miss Fights from Shanghai Fight Card

Oh, man. Do I really have to pick three? Outside of Michael Bisping, the most notable aspect of UFC Fight Night 122 is its location. After quite a few years of trying, the UFC has finally touched dow read news >>

Joseph Morales meets Deiveson Figueiredo at UFC Fight Night 125 in Brazil

It looks like the UFC’s first event in Belem, Brazil, is starting to take shape. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Kailin Curran is 'good at losing,' but feels due for a win at UFC-Shanghai

UFC Fight Night 122’s Kailin Curran is one of very few fighters on the UFC roster with a sub-.500 record. She’s not happy about it.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Chase Sherman not excited for Shamil Abdurakhimov at UFC-Shanghai: He 'fights like a (expletive) girl'

Chase Sherman loses a bit of his twinkle when discussing UFC Fight Night 122 opponent Shamil Abdurakhimov.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Nate Diaz scared of Tyron Woodley? No, coach says UFC just needs to pay what's right

Nate Diaz’s boxing coach, Richard Perez, says Diaz should be paid “15 million easy” to fight Tyron Woodley.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After everything worked against her in debut, Gina Mazany ready to shine at UFC-Shanghai

• a day ago

As far as UFC debuts go, Gina Mazany had one she’d probably like to forget. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>