Gilbert Melendez Strikefore20_PostGilbert Melendez waited patiently for years to finally compete in the UFC and prove whether or not he was indeed the best 155-pound fighter in the world.

He finally got that opportunity on Saturday when he faced UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson in the UFC on Fox 7 main event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Melendez set the pace early, while the middle rounds went to Henderson.  Melendez battled back, winning the final round on two of the three cageside judges’ scorecards, but it wasn’t enough.  Henderson was declared the winner by split decision, although Melendez felt he did enough to win the fight.

“It was a tough fight.  I really thought I got (rounds) one, two, lost three, four.  I thought I definitely did enough to win the fifth, and I thought I won three to two,” said Melendez following the loss during the UFC Post Show on Fuel TV.

As the scores were being read, Melendez expected to have his hand raised.

“I really thought so.  He walked forward.  I walked forward.  When I walked forward I think I did bigger attacks, and I thought I landed cleaner punches.  He hit me, but they were all on the forehead.  I left him pretty bloody, I think.  He has some really good kicks.  Again, I thought I won (rounds) one, two.  I can see him winning the three and four, but I thought I came strong in the fifth and stole the fight,” he said.

“I’ve got to watch the tape.  Benson is a stud.  He’s a tricky guy to hit.  He’s very tough to hit,” said Melendez about the champion.

Melendez is left pondering the what-ifs now, what could have been.

“It was my chance to try and take it more and I didn’t.  I just felt like I had the first two rounds, and I felt like I kind of kept it in the bank for the fifth.  That was the game plan.  I knew I lost the third and the fourth.  I really saved it for the fifth.  I felt like I looked tired in the fourth, but I thought I looked way more energetic in the fifth, and I thought he looked a lot more tired,” he said.

“I’m just heartbroken right now.”

UFC 208 Results: The Real Winners and Losers from Holm vs de Randamie Fight Card

If you thought the only weird thing about UFC 208 was that the promotion planned a big event for Brooklyn, New York, in the dead of winter, you have only begun to scratch the surface of this card's w read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 video highlights: Felice Herrig vs. Alexa Grasso

Felice Herrig thought she was being overlooked going into her fight with Alexa Grasso. She took care of that fairly decisively. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 video highlights: James Vick vs. Abel Trujillo

James Vick wanted a bounce-back fight after the first official loss of his pro career. He got one in a big way. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 video highlights: Volkan Oezdemir vs. Ovince Saint Preux

Volkan Oezdemir took a short-notice fight against a highly regarded light heavyweight opponent in Ovince Saint Preux for his UFC debut. He left “OSP” wondering what just happened. Filed under: News, read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 video highlights: Marcel Fortuna vs. Anthony Hamilton

One look at the size difference between Marcel Fortuna and Anthony Hamilton should have been enough for the average person to think the UFC newcomer had no chance.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 video highlights: Jessica Andrade vs. Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade looked like a woman possessed during her fight against Angela Hill much of the time Saturday night. Andrade (16-5 MMA, 7-3 UFC) came forward almost constantly with a steely eyed deter read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 video highlights: Chan Sung Jung vs. Dennis Bermudez

“The Korean Zombie” is back. Check out the highlights of his return win inside. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bermudez vs. Korean Zombie Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 104

The Korean Zombie is back, ladies and gentlemen! After an incredibly long layoff, featherweight Chan Sung Jung overcame the odds and scored a gorgeous first-round knockout win at the expense of No. 9 read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Chan Sung Jung: 'I think this fight has put me back in the game'

HOUSTON – Onetime UFC featherweight title challenger Chan Sung Jung fought back tears when he thought about his journey back to the octagon after four years off. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Houston Post-Fight Presser: Korean Zombie, Bermudez, Herrig, and Vick (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC Fight Night 104 post-fight press conference featuring Chan Sung Jung (aka The Korean Zombie), Felice Herrig, Dennis Bermudez, and James Vick. read news >>