#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Nate Diaz #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping #Time To Shine

Demetrious Johnson has established himself as the top flyweight in the world, but in the gym he takes his share of punishment.

In an interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, the UFC 125-pound champion discussed his training, his recent title defense against John Dodson and more.

On getting dropped early in the fight: “I think pretty much everyone he’s fought has been dropped by him. I think that’s something I had to show in that fight, that it’s going to happen -- I wish I didn’t have to get dropped, but it happened. I wasn’t going to get discouraged that I got dropped. Hey, it’s going to happen. Just keep pushing forward and make him fight for this win.”

On the adjustments he made: “I can’t see everything that’s going on in the Octagon when I’m fighting, but Matt Hume and my other coaches are able to pinpoint what’s going on in there. Like, ‘You’re standing right in front of him.’ ‘You keep getting tall, and that’s why you’re getting hit.’ He was like, ‘Circle to your left, away from the power, and everything will be fine.’ Which is a no brainer, but sometimes you’ve got to get adjusted because Dodson moves a little bit different in there.”

On how he scored the fight: “I absolutely believe I won [rounds] three, four and five. Round one was pretty close. It was back and forth, and then round two, he definitely won that with dropping me twice.”

On the exposure he got from fighting on Fox: “I think a lot more people noticed me. I was driving with my wife the other day and some dude just rolled down his window and he goes, ‘Good fight! Yeahhhh!’ and he took off.”

On his use of elbows against the cage after climbing on Dodson: “That came from [trainer Matt Hume]. A long time ago he did it to me when I was still an amateur and he was just tearing my temple up. I was like, ‘Man.’ … I’m still getting comfortable in there in the Octagon and I saw the opportunity arise and I was like, ‘Hey, I’m going to try it,’ and it ended up working.”

On making opponents carry his weight: “That’s one of the things that Matt Hume has brought into my arsenal. I’ve been doing it inside the gym when guys put me against the cage, and it really drains them because they’re carrying all my weight.”

On getting pushed in training: “I get tested all the time. Matt Hume is not a coach who sits there and tells you to do something. He gets in there and he beats me up. There was one time after I beat Joseph [Benavidez], I was in there rolling and Matt was laughing. He goes, ‘We’re going to kick your butt,’ and then everyone just beat me up. … Sometimes when I win, it doesn’t feel like I’m the best in the world just because I get beat up all the time in the gym. It keeps my humbleness about me.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 46:11).

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC 215 lineup set with 2 title fights in Edmonton, including Demetrious Johnson's quest for record

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return trip to Canada next month, including a pair of title fights at the top of the bill. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215: Demetrious Johnson vs Ray Borg Media Call (FULL Audio) | MMAWeekly.com

Listen in on the UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg media conference call featuring Demetrious Johnson, Ray Borg, Amanda Nunes, and Valentina Shevchenko. read news >>

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Predicts Mayweather vs. McGregor Upset | MMAWeekly.com

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson breaks down the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor super fight and predicts an upset. read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson: Mayweather-McGregor hoopla can't take away from my history

Demetrious Johnson doesn’t care if his upcoming fight promotion has taken a backseat to Mayweather-McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg Extended Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Take an extended preview into UFC 215, which features the flyweight title fight between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg and women's bantamweight title bout. read news >>

UFC 215 Countdown: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg | MMAWeekly.com

On the verge of breaking Anderson Silva's record for title defenses, Demetrious Johnson and his longtime coach brace for a career-making moment. read news >>

Ray Borg says he'll easily make weight for UFC 215 title fight; Demetrious Johnson believes him

“I’ve corrected my mistakes,” Ray Borg says of his past weight-cut struggles.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

'UFC 215 Embedded,' No. 1: Champ Demetrious Johnson on grasshopper patrol

The UFC is back on pay-per-view, and the promotion has rolled out its “Embedded” treatment for a preview of Saturday’s UFC 215 event. Check out episode No. 1.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

'UFC 215 Embedded,' No. 2: Demetrious Johnson breaks down how to 'f*ck sh*t up'

Go behind the scenes of fight week with all four title fight competitors of UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>