#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Bellator 183 #Gokhan Saki #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Takanori Gomi #Dong Hyun Kim

georgi-karakhanyan-lance-palmer-wsof-7

VANCOUVER – A first-round eye poke nearly prevented Georgi Karakhanyan from competing in a fight that would eventually crown him World Series of Fighting’s inaugural featherweight champion.

Karakhanyan (23-3-1) suffered an ugly poke to the eye from Lance Palmer (7-1) in the main event of their WSOF 7 showdown Saturday in Vancouver. The poke was so nasty the fighter was close to accepting he could no longer go to battle.

“I was really close to saying I couldn’t continue,” Karakhanyan told MMAjunkie. “I didn’t even start to see clear until the beginning of the third round.”

While the thought of taking himself out of the fight briefly crossed Karakhanyan’s mind, he ultimately continued despite his impaired vision.

The decision to not give up proved to be a wise one for the 28-year-old as he rallied back from the scary moment to submit Palmer in the third round and take home the 145-pound belt.

“I’m really happy with my performance,” Karakhanyan said. “My fight was going into deep waters, and it was all about the heart and the mental – how tough I could stay. I felt I could find the finish. I knew I could get the finish and I’m extremely happy I did it.”

Even though Karakhanyan ultimately stopped the fight with a guillotine choke, the finishing maneuver was preceded by several other near-submissions.

Karakhanyan believed he almost had the fight stopped with separate armbar and heel hook submission attempts. But Palmer powered through, which took his opponent by surprise.

“The first armbar I went for, his arm popped. Of course, he didn’t tap. Then I went for a heel hook and his knee popped. So I was impressed how tough he was,” Karakhanyan said.

A major storyline going into the fight was if Karakhanyan had improved his defensive wrestling enough to thwart the highly decorated Palmer.

While he had mixed results stopping takedowns, Karakhanyan was confident his submission ability would get him the win if he was stuck on his back. That foresight could not have been more accurate.

“I knew if we went to the ground, I could get him because I attack differently than any other MMA fighter,” Karakhanyan said. “If he took me down, I wasn’t worried. So I was satisfied with my wrestling.”

By becoming the first WSOF featherweight champion, Karakhanyan has etched his name in the organization’s history forever.

That achievement is one Karakhanyan will never forget, and even though he had to battle through some adversity, he is thrilled to have secured his first world title.

“I had to stay strong mentally there, and I think my experience played a role,” he said. “I’m very happy to be the first WSOF champion.”

For more on WSOF 7, stay tuned to the MMA Events section of the site.

Comments

Bellator 182 Results: Andrey Koreshkov Beats Anthony Njokuani in Main Event

Andrey Koreshkov defeated Anthony Njokuani via first-round TKO Friday night in Bellator 182's main event at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York, to further bolster his case as one of the read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam results: Thibault Gouti picks up much-needed win in impressive fashion

After suffering a pair of first-round losses during a disappointing three-fight losing streak, Thibault Gouti earned some revenge.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

LFA 21 Results & Highlights: Kyle Noblitt and Kevin Holland Score First-Round Finishes | MMAWeekly.com

LFA 21 featured two first-round finishes in the main and co-main events on Friday night. read news >>

'PFL: Washington D.C.' adds Blagoy Ivanov vs. Caio Alencar, Lance Palmer vs. TBA

The Professional Fighters League’s final event of 2017 now has its first two fights – or at least one-and-a-half matchups.Filed under: News, PFL read news >>

Finishing Up Training Camps (UFC 215 Embedded) | MMAWeekly.com

On Episode 1 of UFC 215 Embedded, the four fighters competing for titles finish up their training camps ahead of Saturday's event in Edmonton. read news >>

Elite Eight - Demetrious Johnson Fights

Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson isn’t just one of the most dominant champions competing in the Octagon at the moment; he may be one of the most dominant ever. As we await Saturday night’s card in E read news >>

UFC 215: Nunes vs. Shevchenko 2 Weigh-in Replay | MMAWeekly.com

The 22 fighters competing on Saturday's UFC 215 fight card in Edmonton, Canada officially weighed in on Friday at Rogers Place. read news >>

LFA 22 results: Markus Perez claims title with slick first-round choke

Fighting for the first time in the U.S., Brazilian import Markus Perez kept his professional record perfect, claiming the vacant RFA middleweight belt with a first-stoppage of a previously unbeaten I read news >>

UFC 215 results: Sarah Moras cranks Ashlee Evans-Smith's arm for first-round win

After more than two years away from the octagon, unheralded underdog Sarah Moras shocked Ashlee Evans-Smith with a gutsy first-round submission.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Sarah Moras pulls off a submission so gross Daniel Cormier doesn't even want to see it again

Sarah Moras pulled off a first-round submission win that seemed to surprise even herself – while totally grossing out commentator Daniel Cormier.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>