#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Nick Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Quinton Jackson #Anderson Silva #Pancrase #Demetrious Johnson

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has released a letter explaining his recent support for a friend – one who’s also a drug kingpin currently awaiting trial for trafficking and other crimes.

St-Pierre’s letter of support for Jimmy Cournoyer became public this past week, linking one of MMA’s cleanest-cut stars to the drug trafficker.

However, St-Pierre said he was unaware of Cournoyer’s crimes until his arrest and that he doesn’t “condone any of his criminal actions.” However, the Canadian fighter said “I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty.”

Cournoyer, who struck up a friendship with St-Pierre in 2009 thanks to their mutual admiration of martial arts, recently pled guilty in the U.S. on a number of trafficking charges for marijuana (earning him the nickname the “King of Pot”) and cocaine. As part of a plea deal, he also admitted to money laundering and taking part in a conspiracy from 1998-2012.

Cournoyer, 34, will be sentenced on Aug. 20.

Check out St-Pierre’s letter above, or read the full text here:

June 29, 2014

A letter I signed in support of my friend Jimmy Cournoyer, who has recently pleased guilty to a number of drug traffic-related crimes in the U.S., has generated a great deal of controversy over the last few days.

First of all, the letter I signed was a mistake – my mistake. I will not go into detail as to why and how the letter came about because it’s not going to right a wrong. I simply wanted to help repatriate Jimmy to a Canadian prison, closer to his family, if that was possible.

My friendship with Jimmy is based on our mutual passion for martial arts and going to the gym. I was not aware of Jimmy’s crimes until he was arrested by the U.S. authorities. I do not condone any of his criminal actions. He will and should pay for his actions. My position against the use of drugs has been on record for years, and speaks for itself.

I have been to visit Jimmy in prison – twice so far. We also had many conversations since his arrest. Why? Because I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty. I will continue to support him – as a friend. In fact, if Jimmy leaves prison one day, I should be there to help him start over in a better way.

I want to unconditionally apologize to those who have been offended by my actions. But I often say that the wheel of life turns and turns, causing ups and down for each of us. I was also taught that a real friend is there to offer support at the best and the worst of times.

Sincerely,
George St-Pierre

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC), the UFC’s former longtime welterweight champion, vacated his title and announced a break from competition following a November title win over Johny Hendricks. In March, he said a torn ACL would likely keep him out of action until 2015.

The UFC recently announced a December event intended to take place in Montreal, St-Pierre’s current home, has instead been pushed back to March 2015. A new location hasn’t been announced for the card, UFC 181, which takes place Dec. 6.

For more on the organization’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Comments

UFC Donating All Profits from Vegas Strong T-Shirts | MMAWeekly.com

In the wake of the recent tragedy in Las Vegas, UFC has released special "Vegas Strong" t-shirts and is donating 100-percent of the profits. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Calls for Fight with Volkan Oezdemir Next | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier asked and the fans responded. The reigning UFC light heavyweight champion put out a call on social media recently asking who he should face when he returns to action in 2018 with the o read news >>

Dana White Says WWE Didn't Want Brock Lesnar to Fight in UFC Under Contract

UFC President Dana White said on a recent episode of ESPN's Dan Le Batard Show that WWE would not allow Brock Lesnar to fight again in the UFC while under contract with WWE. During the interview (h/t read news >>

Yokota Air Base personnel in Japan motivated by recent visit from UFC fighters

Take an inside look at the UFC’s recent visit to Yokota Air Base in Japan near Tokyo. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC releases statement on Las Vegas shooting; fighters react to tragedy

The UFC has released a statement on Sunday’s mass shooting on the Las Vegas strip.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Turkish Mike Tyson'? Gokhan Saki sounds more like Turkish Conor McGregor after UFC debut

Some fight fans call Gokhan Saki the “Turkish Mike Tyson.” But he spoke a lot more like Conor McGregor after his huge knockout win.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC's Alexa Grasso undergoes knee surgery, still all smiles

UFC strawweight and perpetually upbeat Alexa Grasso is on the mend following a recent knee surgery.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

After UFC champ Cris Cyborg points to drug testing, Holly Holm points to scoreboard

• 19 hours ago

When it comes to UFC women’s featherweight champion Cris Cyborg, potential next opponent Holly Holm just wants to get real for a moment.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Holly Holm Fires Back at Cris Cyborg Over Badgering about USADA Drug Testing | MMAWeekly.com

• 15 hours ago

The fight between UFC women's featherweight champion Cris "Cyborg" Justino and Holly Holm isn't official yet but they sure are behaving like two fighters preparing to do battle. This week, Cyborg has read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Lyoto Machida talks pressure, support ahead of big return on home turf

Set to return to the octagon after more than two years, Lyoto Machida says his UFC Fight Night 119 feels like a new beginning of sorts.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>