#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Fight Night Rotterdam #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Darren Till #Michael Bisping #Anderson Silva #Holly Holm #Donald Cerrone

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has released a letter explaining his recent support for a friend – one who’s also a drug kingpin currently awaiting trial for trafficking and other crimes.

St-Pierre’s letter of support for Jimmy Cournoyer became public this past week, linking one of MMA’s cleanest-cut stars to the drug trafficker.

However, St-Pierre said he was unaware of Cournoyer’s crimes until his arrest and that he doesn’t “condone any of his criminal actions.” However, the Canadian fighter said “I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty.”

Cournoyer, who struck up a friendship with St-Pierre in 2009 thanks to their mutual admiration of martial arts, recently pled guilty in the U.S. on a number of trafficking charges for marijuana (earning him the nickname the “King of Pot”) and cocaine. As part of a plea deal, he also admitted to money laundering and taking part in a conspiracy from 1998-2012.

Cournoyer, 34, will be sentenced on Aug. 20.

Check out St-Pierre’s letter above, or read the full text here:

June 29, 2014

A letter I signed in support of my friend Jimmy Cournoyer, who has recently pleased guilty to a number of drug traffic-related crimes in the U.S., has generated a great deal of controversy over the last few days.

First of all, the letter I signed was a mistake – my mistake. I will not go into detail as to why and how the letter came about because it’s not going to right a wrong. I simply wanted to help repatriate Jimmy to a Canadian prison, closer to his family, if that was possible.

My friendship with Jimmy is based on our mutual passion for martial arts and going to the gym. I was not aware of Jimmy’s crimes until he was arrested by the U.S. authorities. I do not condone any of his criminal actions. He will and should pay for his actions. My position against the use of drugs has been on record for years, and speaks for itself.

I have been to visit Jimmy in prison – twice so far. We also had many conversations since his arrest. Why? Because I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty. I will continue to support him – as a friend. In fact, if Jimmy leaves prison one day, I should be there to help him start over in a better way.

I want to unconditionally apologize to those who have been offended by my actions. But I often say that the wheel of life turns and turns, causing ups and down for each of us. I was also taught that a real friend is there to offer support at the best and the worst of times.

Sincerely,
George St-Pierre

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC), the UFC’s former longtime welterweight champion, vacated his title and announced a break from competition following a November title win over Johny Hendricks. In March, he said a torn ACL would likely keep him out of action until 2015.

The UFC recently announced a December event intended to take place in Montreal, St-Pierre’s current home, has instead been pushed back to March 2015. A new location hasn’t been announced for the card, UFC 181, which takes place Dec. 6.

For more on the organization’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Comments

UFC Donating All Profits from Vegas Strong T-Shirts | MMAWeekly.com

In the wake of the recent tragedy in Las Vegas, UFC has released special "Vegas Strong" t-shirts and is donating 100-percent of the profits. read news >>

UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre 'Battle Cry' Trailer Unveiled | MMAWeekly.com

Former welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre is returning from a four-year hiatus to challenge current middleweight champion Michael Bisping. read news >>

Coach: Conor McGregor 'too clean' for Tony Ferguson; fans prefer Nate Diaz trilogy

Who’s next for UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor – new interim titleholder Tony Ferguson or two-time former foe Nate Diaz?Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Andrea Lee talks USADA rule that scrapped UFC 216 debut, clears air on previously failed drug test

Former Invicta FC flyweight champ Andrea Lee has entered the USADA testing pool, though she’d rather her addition have been less dramatic.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Calls for Fight with Volkan Oezdemir Next | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier asked and the fans responded. The reigning UFC light heavyweight champion put out a call on social media recently asking who he should face when he returns to action in 2018 with the o read news >>

Get To Know TUF Cast: Sijara Eubanks

Fans of the UFC may be getting their first look at Sijara Eubanks on season 26 of The Ultimate Fighter, but those who have worked with the promotion for any length of time are no strangers to the eas read news >>

Tony Ferguson warns if UFC books Conor McGregor-Nate Diaz 3, 'fans will be pissed'

No great surprise, but Tony Ferguson doesn’t like the idea of a rubber match between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Why the UFC? Why not kickboxing? UFC-Japan's Gokhan Saki says fans are 'going to be in shock'

Before UFC-Japan, Gokhan Saki explains why he’s returning to fighting – this time with the UFC – after a decorated kickboxing career.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for 'OSP,' Andrade and UFC Fight Night 117's other winning fighters?

After every event, fans wonder whom the winners will be matched up with next. We put on our matchmaker shoes after UFC Fight Night 117.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 Medical Suspensions: Three Fighters Face Three-Month Layoffs | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC released the medical suspensions stemming from Friday's UFC Fight Night 117 on Monday. Three fighters from the fight card that took place at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan face potenti read news >>