#UFC on Fox 26 #Robbie Lawler #Rafael dos Anjos #Mike Perry #Santiago Ponzinibbio #Bellator 191 #Jared Cannonier #UFC 218 #Francis Ngannou #Michael McDonald #Peter Ligier #Conor McGregor

Georges St-Pierre admits there was some conflict within his team regarding whether it was wise to make his return from a four-year layoff to challenge Michael Bisping for the middleweight title at UFC 217. As we now know, though, his decision paid off.

St-Pierre (26-2 MMA, 20-2 UFC), a former longtime welterweight champ, moved up a weight class to challenge then-champ Bisping (30-8 MMA, 20-8 UFC) for the 185-pound title earlier this month at UFC 217 in New York. “Rush” emerged with the gold via third-round submission, proving wrong his naysayers, some of whom came from his own camp.

St-Pierre’s longtime training partner Rory MacDonald said he would have advised a different comeback plan. The French-Canadian’s longtime mentor Kristof Midoux publicly criticized his preparedness for the bout, and even grappling coach John Danaher admitted to having some doubts along the way.

Despite all that, St-Pierre claimed the belt from Bisping with a solid performance, which made him just the fourth fighter in UFC history to win belts in two weight classes. That historic moment is what St-Pierre was pursuing for his comeback, and he said he relishes his accomplishment even more after what he was forced to overcome.

“What I’ve done, it’s never going to be taken away from me,” St-Pierre told MMAjunkie at a media appearance following UFC 217. “It’s something I will keep for the rest of my life. Maybe one day I will go through some negative thing in my life. I will be able to think back about that moment, and it will make me smile. That’s what it is what people don’t understand. I do this to live a moment. (UFC 217), I lived a moment.

“I feel very privileged to live that moment. It was a big risk, but bigger the risk, bigger the reward. Even though a lot of people in my entourage told me it was a bad idea, I always trusted my myself and I always believed I was able to do it, and I did it and I’m very proud.”

In the wake of his legendary win, which took place Nov. 4 at Madison Square Garden and aired on pay-per-view, St-Pierre said he was going on vacation before resuming business and deciding what’s next. He’s contractually obligated to meet interim middleweight champ Robert Whittaker (19-4 MMA, 10-2 UFC) in a title-unification bout, but he also knows that could change at any time, so he left the door open for a return to welterweight.

St-Pierre also hinted that there’s no guarantee he actually fights again. At 36, he has only so many prime years left, and one of his biggest fears is to stick around the octagon beyond his expiration date.

For St-Pierre, the way he ends his career is just as important to his legacy as everything else he does along the way. He said that’s something he keeps in mind as he plots out his next move.

“The goal in this game is to retire on top, to not leave too late like a lot of guys like Muhammad Ali,” St-Pierre said. “They made the mistake of believing they were on top, but when you start to get a little bit greedy thinking that you’re special – we’re all human beings, and nobody is invisible. There’s no such thing as being the strongest man. When I was young, I wanted to do MMA because I wanted to be the strongest man. There’s no such thing. I realize now. Everybody can beat everybody on any given day.”

For complete coverage of UFC 217, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 2 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Nik Lentz says it was a no-brainer to rebook fight with ATT's Will Brooks at UFC-Sydney

Nik Lentz might feel like a new man when he steps in the cage against Will Brooks in Australia. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Adam Wieczorek critical of UFC debut win at UFC Fight Night 121

In theory, Adam Wieczorek’s UFC debut was a success, but that’s far from the truth in reality.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

3-1 'dog Michael Bisping 'not expecting a walk in the park' at UFC-Shanghai vs. Kelvin Gastelum

Michael Bisping returns just three weeks after losing his middleweight title when he meets Kelvin Gastelum in the UFC-Shanghai headliner.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Michael Bisping: 'I'm Fighting Myself in this Fight' | MMAWeekly.com

Less than three weeks removed from a disappointing title fight at UFC 217, Michael Bisping is grateful for the opportunity to get back in the Octagon. read news >>

Dan Hardy breaks down Michael Bisping vs. Kelvin Gastelum at UFC-Shanghai

Ahead of the UFC’s debut in mainland China, analyst and former title challenger Dan Hardy breaks down Michael Bisping vs. Kelvin Gastelum.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>

Breaking Down Michael Bisping's Quest for Redemption at UFC Shanghai | MMAWeekly.com

Dan Hardy dissects the UFC Fight Night Shanghai main event between No. 2 ranked Michael Bisping and No. 9 ranked Kelvin Gastelum. read news >>

Who ya got?! Fighters weigh in on Michael Bisping vs. Kelvin Gastelum at UFC-Shanghai

Who are fighters on the UFC-Shanghai card picking in the main event between former champion Michael Bisping and Kelvin Gastelum?Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum Beats Michael Bisping by 1st-Round TKO at UFC Fight Night 122

Michael Bisping just wanted to get back in the win column after losing his UFC middleweight title. Kelvin Gastelum had other plans. Gastelum denied Bisping via a first-round TKO in the main event of read news >>

Twitter reacts to Kelvin Gastelum's KO of ex-champ Michael Bisping at UFC-Shanghai

See the top Twitter reacts to Kelvin Gastelum’s win over Michael Bisping in the UFC Fight Night 122 main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC's sold-out mainland China debut a 'milestone for our company,' says exec Kevin Chang

UFC executive Kevin Chang believes it was a “very successful” debut for the promotion in Shanghai. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>