#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #Fight One #Dustin Poirier #Anthony Pettis #TJ Dillashaw #Fabricio Werdum #Colby Covington

UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre may end up fighting middleweight king Anderson Silva next year, but GSP did not relish his obligation to continually address the hypothetical super-fight leading up to his UFC 154 title defense against Carlos Condit at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

Following his hard-fought victory over “The Natural Born Killer” on Saturday night, St. Pierre (Pictured, file photo) spoke candidly about the situation, revealing his irritation at being forced to address a potential clash with “The Spider” following an 18-month inactive stretch brought on by injuries.

“I think what pissed me off a little bit was that I hadn’t even come back yet. I was fighting Carlos Condit and everybody was asking me about Anderson Silva. I think it was disrespectful to me and disrespectful to my opponent,” St. Pierre said at tonight’s post-fight press conference. “I think you should give more credit to the challengers I have. They are the best in the world, and I need to focus on my opponent and not focus on the next step.”

St. Pierre -- who returned to the cage Saturday after tearing his ACL last winter -- put forth a vintage showing against Condit in the evening’s pay-per-view headliner, grinding the interim titlist down over five rounds en route a unanimous decision win. Though St. Pierre’s performance was an impressive one, he later admitted that this bout was one of the toughest of his career.

“This fight and the Jon Fitch fight were the two fights where I was really pushed to the edge,” said St. Pierre. “I knew it was going to be hard, and it was, especially in the beginning. The Octagon feel is something that you lose after a certain time. I wasn’t breaking, but mentally, you have to [continually] push, and that’s something I haven’t felt for a long time. I’m happy. I gave everything I had and left it all in the Octagon. I was exhausted. I have no regrets, and I fought the best I could. I had fun tonight.”

St. Pierre was not having fun early in the third round, however, when Condit clipped the returning champion with a high kick that sent him reeling to the canvas. Despite obviously hurting St. Pierre, the former WEC ruler could not find the finish, and the champion ended the frame in top position following a takedown.

“Before, when I got hit hard, sometimes I was a proud guy and tried to give it back right away,” said St. Pierre of the knockdown. “My experience I gained through all my fighting allowed me to recompose, defend myself and come back stronger. It was experience that allowed me to survive and come back after I got hit by that kick.”

The champion then sealed the deal by blasting Condit with straight punches and scoring with more takedowns in the final two frames. Though Condit gamely attempted to catch the two-time UFC king with submissions off his back, St. Pierre’s defense proved excellent for the duration of the bout. Likewise, Condit switched between and open and closed guard, keeping St. Pierre honest while in top position.

“I have to give Carlos credit, because he is the No. 1 guy. People forget, sometimes, that I’m fighting the best guys in the world. They say, ‘Oh, no finish?’ But the finish is not always easy,” said St. Pierre. “I studied Carlos a lot. He has a very special style, and he is a very clever guy. He only has one takedown in the UFC, but he baits submissions [off his back] and ends up on top.

“Sometimes, I felt like he left me some openings to go for submissions, and I didn’t go,” the champion continued. “I wanted to play more ground-and-pound and [avoid] the mistake I made against Dan Hardy by only going for submissions. I wanted to hurt him with my strikes.”

This victory now only hours behind him, St. Pierre has already been confronted with questions about whom he will next face. Naturally, Silva was mentioned, as was Johny Hendricks, who likely became the welterweight division’s new No. 1 contender after starching Martin Kampmann in tonight’s co-main event. Nevertheless, the champion says he will take his time before deciding where he will go from here.

“We’ll see what happens,” said St. Pierre. “I have to talk to the boss (Dana White), and we’ll see. I just finished my fight and got hit a lot on the head, so I need to take some vacation before I make a decision like this.”

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 9 months ago

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• a month ago

Comments

Joanna Jedrzejczyk wants Ronda Rousey's record, but instead will history repeat itself at UFC 217?

Joanna Jedrzejczyk has a huge title defense in front of her at UFC 217, but could she be overlooking Rose Namajunas?Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ahead of UFC 217, James Vick has some serious questions about how the rankings work

James Vick doesn’t get how he can be 7-1 in the UFC’s lightweight division and still find himself outside the top 15 in the rankings.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Aiemann Zahabi has some questions for Sean Shelby after UFC 217

Aiemann Zahabi has waited eight months for his second UFC fight. After UFC 217, he doesn’t expect to wait that long again.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Anderson Silva flagged for potential doping violation, pulled from UFC Fight Night 122

Anderson Silva has been notified of a potential violation of the UFC’s anti-doping policy and has been pulled from a planned UFC Fight Night 122 headliner with Kelvin Gastelum.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Anderson Silva flagged for potential doping violation, pulled from fight with Kelvin Gastelum | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has been flagged for a potential doping violation from USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) and pulled from his upcoming fight against Kelvin Gaste read news >>

Anderson Silva Out of Kelvin Gastelum Fight After Possible Failed Drug Test

UFC announced Friday that Anderson Silva has been removed from his scheduled fight against Kelvin Gastelum at UFC Fight Night on Nov. 25 in Shanghai, China, due to a potential anti-doping policy viol read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test

Michael Bisping suffered one of the toughest losses of his UFC career at UFC 217, dropping the middleweight championship to Georges St-Pierre after getting choked out cold. So how is the Brit recover read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test

Michael Bisping and Kelvin Gastelum UFC Shanghai Media Call | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) After Anderson Silva was pulled from the UFC Shanghai main event because of a potential anti-doping violation, Michael Bisping agreed to step into the fight with Kelvin Gastelum wit read news >>

Michael Bisping Agrees to Replace Anderson Silva at UFC China | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has agreed to step in for fellow former titleholder Anderson Silva at UFC Fight Night 122. Silva was slated to meet Kelvin Gastelum in the event's hea read news >>