#UFC 220 #Francis Ngannou #Stipe Miocic #Daniel Cormier #Volkan Oezdemir #Bellator MMA #Rory MacDonald #Douglas Lima #Chael Sonnen #Quinton Jackson #Rob Font #Thomas Almeida #Calvin Kattar #Shane Burgos #Michael Chandler

Georges St-Pierre: If Michael Bisping expects same ol' GSP, 'it's a big mistake on his part'

Georges St-Pierre left the UFC in Nov. 2013 at the top of the sport.

Yes, his final fight – a split decision over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 – controversially went St-Pierre’s way. Still, it marked his 12th consecutive overall victory and ninth straight welterweight title defense. He had wiped out his division and already was in the conversation for greatest of all time.

So why come back to challenge Michael Bisping for the middleweight title at UFC 217? St-Pierre says even after all he’s accomplished, he simply isn’t satisfied and still has a lot to show.

“Satisfaction is the deathtrap,” St-Pierre said in a Thursday interview with Sports Illustrated. “When you’re satisfied, you better retire. I’m not satisfied. I think I can do more, and I will prove it to everybody November 4th. I’m very happy. The sport has evolved, but I believe you haven’t seen the best out of me yet.”

That’s hard to believe now that St-Pierre is 36. And yet, he says it like he means it.

When St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) faces Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC) in the pay-per-view headliner at Madison Square Garden, it’ll be his first time competing outside the comfort of welterweight. That certainly figures to present a challenge in itself.

St-Pierre cautions Bisping not to expect the same ol’ “GSP.” Aggression, it seems, will be the name of his game.

“It’s much different. I got a lot more tools in my arsenal. I’ve been working on different things,” St-Pierre said. “If he’s expecting me the same as I was, it’s a big mistake on his part. I’m going to come out, and I want to shock the world. …

“I’m the challenger. I’m not the champion this time. So I have to take the fight to him. I have to expect that if I’m going to a decision, and the fight is close, it’s not going to go my way. So I’m going to go there, and I’m going to put everything I have to finish him, fight like there’s no tomorrow.”

That sounds unlike St-Pierre, who said not to mistake his words for desperation.

“We’re not desperate. I’m happy,” St. Pierre said. “I feel very blessed and fortunate to be in this position, and it’s a moment that a few people in the world are able to live. And I’m going to live that unique moment, and I will remember it for the rest of my life.

“But at the same time I need to put myself in the mindset that this unique moment, in order to make it in my favor as best as I can, I need to put in everything I got. Live like there is no tomorrow.”

For more on UFC 217, visit the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 3 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Dana White Bashes Georges St-Pierre, Swears Against GSP Superfight with McGregor

The relationship between Dana White and Georges St-Pierre is still an openly toxic one. The latest example of this came on Wednesday as the UFC president bashed the former middleweight champion in an read news >>

Jorge Masvidal: Ex-UFC champ Michael Bisping has a 'bounty on his head'

Jorge Masvidal is in no rush to return to the UFC. That is, unless, he gets his long-desired matchup with Michael Bisping. Filed under: Featured, MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White: If Georges St-Pierre Ever Returns He Won't Be Fighting Conor McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White isn't sure GSP will ever fight again but if he does, he's not getting Conor McGregor read news >>

Dana White: Georges St-Pierre 'ain't fighting Conor McGregor' if he returns to UFC

It sounds like UFC President Dana White isn’t on board with a potential Conor McGregor vs. Georges St-Pierre super fight in the future.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Joe Rogan predicts Conor McGregor will be stripped of UFC lightweight title

Joe Rogan expects the division to move on without Conor McGregor and an undisputed title fight between Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ashley Nichols Promises 'Strong Performance' in Her Invicta FC Debut | MMAWeekly.com

While Ashley Nichols has grown a lot in her overall game, she expects a clash of styles when she faces Sharon Jacobson at Invicta FC 27. read news >>

Kamaru Usman expects his version of normal at UFC Fight Night 124 – dominate Emil Meek

Kamaru Usman may not have been in love with the matchup he was given for UFC Fight Night 124, but now it’s business as usual. read news >>

Thiago Alves expects February booking after late scratch from UFC Fight Night 124

Thiago Alves’ turbulent journey to get back in the octagon at UFC Fight Night 124 was derailed through no fault of his own. read news >>

Dana White: Vitor Belfort Turned Down Two Fights, Wants Michael Bisping | MMAWeekly.com

According to UFC president Dana White, Vitor Belfort could have fought Sunday night, but is angling for a Michael Bisping bout. read news >>

Dana White: Rafael dos Anjos next for UFC champ Tyron Woodley, who still wants Georges St-Pierre

Stop it if you’ve heard this before: UFC champ Tyron Woodley and UFC President Dana White disagree on matchmaking. read news >>