#UFC on Fox 29 #Dustin Poirier #Conor McGregor #Jon Jones #Daniel Cormier #Alexander Gustafsson #Justin Gaethje #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Kevin Lee #Nate Diaz #Stipe Miocic #UFC New York #UFC 217 #Tony Ferguson #Edson Barboza

Georges St-Pierre: If Michael Bisping expects same ol' GSP, 'it's a big mistake on his part'

Georges St-Pierre left the UFC in Nov. 2013 at the top of the sport.

Yes, his final fight – a split decision over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 – controversially went St-Pierre’s way. Still, it marked his 12th consecutive overall victory and ninth straight welterweight title defense. He had wiped out his division and already was in the conversation for greatest of all time.

So why come back to challenge Michael Bisping for the middleweight title at UFC 217? St-Pierre says even after all he’s accomplished, he simply isn’t satisfied and still has a lot to show.

“Satisfaction is the deathtrap,” St-Pierre said in a Thursday interview with Sports Illustrated. “When you’re satisfied, you better retire. I’m not satisfied. I think I can do more, and I will prove it to everybody November 4th. I’m very happy. The sport has evolved, but I believe you haven’t seen the best out of me yet.”

That’s hard to believe now that St-Pierre is 36. And yet, he says it like he means it.

When St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) faces Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC) in the pay-per-view headliner at Madison Square Garden, it’ll be his first time competing outside the comfort of welterweight. That certainly figures to present a challenge in itself.

St-Pierre cautions Bisping not to expect the same ol’ “GSP.” Aggression, it seems, will be the name of his game.

“It’s much different. I got a lot more tools in my arsenal. I’ve been working on different things,” St-Pierre said. “If he’s expecting me the same as I was, it’s a big mistake on his part. I’m going to come out, and I want to shock the world. …

“I’m the challenger. I’m not the champion this time. So I have to take the fight to him. I have to expect that if I’m going to a decision, and the fight is close, it’s not going to go my way. So I’m going to go there, and I’m going to put everything I have to finish him, fight like there’s no tomorrow.”

That sounds unlike St-Pierre, who said not to mistake his words for desperation.

“We’re not desperate. I’m happy,” St. Pierre said. “I feel very blessed and fortunate to be in this position, and it’s a moment that a few people in the world are able to live. And I’m going to live that unique moment, and I will remember it for the rest of my life.

“But at the same time I need to put myself in the mindset that this unique moment, in order to make it in my favor as best as I can, I need to put in everything I got. Live like there is no tomorrow.”

For more on UFC 217, visit the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 6 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Michael Bisping Reveals Serious Injury He Suffered Days Prior to Facing GSP | MMAWeekly.com

No fighter steps into the cage 100-percent healthy but it turns out Michael Bisping probably should have bowed out of his title fight against Georges St-Pierre last November after suffering an injury read news >>

Could boxing champ Anthony Joshua on his way to the UFC? 'We're all ears, man'

Unbeaten boxing champion Anthony Joshua has his next big fight coming up next week. But after that, could he have a future in the UFC? read news >>

It sounded crazy at first, but now Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. GSP actually seems like an (improbable) dream fight

Wait, did Khabib Nurmagomedov really call out Georges St-Pierre after winning the (now one and only) UFC lightweight title? read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Says Georges St-Pierre More Important than Conor McGregor for His Legacy | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor may be the hottest property in mixed martial arts history, but when it comes down to legacy, Khabib Nurmagomedov believes the Irishman isn't even close to the athlete that Georges St-P read news >>

Khabib talks about wanting to fight Georges St-Pierre

"You kind of surprised all of us when you mentioned Georges St-Pierre inside the Octagon," Megan Olivi said, echoing the sentiments of most viewers. "Why?" read news >>

Conor McGregor Escorted Out of Police Station in Handcuffs (VIDEO) | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is on his way to a Brooklyn courthouse where he will appear before a judge after being arrested on three misdemeanor assault charges and a felony criminal mischief charge from an incid read news >>

'Mask' documentary filmmaker Bobby Razak seeks 'emotional distance' from film

Filmmaker Bobby Razak promises he’ll remember making the “Mask” documentary when he’s on his deathbed. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Believes Conor McGregor is Inevitable, but Wants to Fight Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov realizes Conor McGregor is more likely to be in his near future, but he would rather fight Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

Who's the best UFC champ in history: Demetrious Johnson or Georges St-Pierre? See the results of your vote

Our 32-fighter tournament picking the best champions in UFC history is in the books, and you’ve voted for the top titleholder of all time. 1 2 3 4 5 …6 read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Wants Georges St-Pierre, Predicts Bout with Conor McGregor

The UFC's lightweight division is an absolute mess ahead of UFC 223's Max Holloway vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov bout... read news >>

Bellator's Muhammed Lawal says belt or no belt, Ryan Bader has been on his radar

Muhammed Lawal would certainly like to get his hands on Ryan Bader’s Bellator light heavyweight title, but that will wait for now. read news >>

Tony Ferguson's Dream Fight is Georges St-Pierre, Not Conor McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson has dream fights like everybody else in the UFC but he might be one of the few people who doesn't seem to care much about ever facing Conor McGregor. As it turns out, Ferguson is happy read news >>

Conor who? Tony Ferguson wants a fight with Georges St-Pierre, not McGregor

If Tony Ferguson wins at UFC 223, a fight with Conor McGregor would be logical. But it’s not the fight in which he’s most interested. read news >>

Daily Debate (redux): Luke Rockhold overtakes Nick Diaz for whom you want Michael Bisping to fight

We’re still talking about former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping and his presumed final fight. read news >>

Michael Bisping 'Definitely Interested' In Retirement Fight at UFC Event in Liverpool | MMAWeekly.com

If the UFC needs to add another marquee fight to the upcoming card in Liverpool, England, Michael Bisping is ready and willing to step up to the challenge. The former UFC middleweight champion has go read news >>

Michael Bisping 'definitely interested' in UFC-Liverpool for retirement fight, awaits opponent

Michael Bisping has played it cool up until this point, but with two months to go until UFC-Liverpool, he’s putting his chips on the table. read news >>

Search for: