Georges St PierreEver since former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre stepped away from the sport following his UFC 167 title defense against current champion Johny Hendricks, the question has been, will the 33-year-old ever return to fighting?

The Canadian superstar said he needed time to sort out some personal problems in his life, and wasn’t sure if he’d ever compete again.

“I needed this. To be happy, I needed it,” St-Pierre recently told Inside MMA.

“After my first comeback, when I fought [Carlos] Condit, I had a lot of fun. It was a great training camp. After that, not that good. And the last one, not good at all. I lost the motivation. I lost the fun of it. And I think for me, I needed to step out of it. I need to find the fire back, the need. The feeling I want is the need to compete again,” he explained.

Lack of motivation can carry heavy consequences in combat sports. When the person standing across the cage from you has trained specifically to physically damage you, you always have to be on your A game.

“Mixed martial arts isn’t a sport you can have a bad day. It’s not like a race. It’s not like hockey or a football game. If you have a bad day you can get hurt pretty bad,” said the former titleholder.

St-Pierre still believes he’s the best 170-pound fighter on the planet, and if he ever decides to come back it will be to prove that he is.

“I truly believe if I find the fun of doing it again with time, and I find the fire back, I believe I’m the best in the world. If I ever want to come back, it’s going to be to show it. But right now, I’m enjoying my time,” he said.

His sabbatical from fighting hasn’t been just a soul-searching effort to find peace of mind. St-Pierre is also recovering from knee surgery for a torn ACL.

“I had a knee surgery. My knee was already damaged. It’s something that I needed to fix. It was unstable for a long time because I hurt it a long time ago, but I never took care of it. It was just a question of time before it happened. I tore my ACL, and now I’m going to come back with two good knees. My stability will be 100-percent and it’s going to be good. So I can’t wait,” said St-Pierre.

Andrei Arlovski: I'm Not in a Position to Pick My Opponent (UFC Denver) | MMAWeekly.com

Having lost three fights in a row, Andrei Arlovski knows that he can't be choosy about his opponents or make big, boastful claims. read news >>

UFC on FOX: Cerrone and Masvidal Are Elite Welterweights That Were Lost at 155

At any point in their respective careers, people would have been happy to see Donald Cerrone and Jorge Masvidal square off. They’re two of the more aggressive action fighters in the game, wild men of read news >>

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

Former UFC champ Anderson Silva: 'It's not important how many fights I've lost'

Anderson Silva, the former longtime UFC champion who many consider to be the greatest UFC fighter of all time, hasn’t officially won a fight in more than four years. He claims that doesn’t bother him read news >>

UFC 208's featured UFC Fight Pass prelim scratched from Saturday's lineup

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Saturday’s UFC 208 event has a lost a fight on the eve of the event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 208 video highlights: Dustin Poirier vs. Jim Miller

Dustin Poirier may have won the battle, but his right leg lost the war. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Should Be Returning to the UFC Soon | FIGHTLAND

Photos by Jason Silva-USA TODAY Sports? / Laitr Keiows?-Wikimedia Commons You have to feel for WME|IMG. Back in July the mega talent agency purchased the UFC for a whopping $4 billion, confident of t read news >>

Dana White Comments on Donald Trump, Ronda Rousey, UFC's Future and More

UFC President Dana White spoke about a number of topics with Jon Wertheim of Sports Illustrated in a lengthy interview published Wednesday, touching on President Donald Trump, Ronda Rousey and more. read news >>

Conor McGregor's UFC 202 Disciplinary Case Could Be Reconsidered | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor could possibly have his disciplinary case for a UFC 202 pre-fight bottle-throwing incident reheard by the Nevada Athletic Commission. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Should Be Returning to the UFC Soon | FIGHTLAND