#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Pancrase

Georges St PierreEver since former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre stepped away from the sport following his UFC 167 title defense against current champion Johny Hendricks, the question has been, will the 33-year-old ever return to fighting?

The Canadian superstar said he needed time to sort out some personal problems in his life, and wasn’t sure if he’d ever compete again.

“I needed this. To be happy, I needed it,” St-Pierre recently told Inside MMA.

“After my first comeback, when I fought [Carlos] Condit, I had a lot of fun. It was a great training camp. After that, not that good. And the last one, not good at all. I lost the motivation. I lost the fun of it. And I think for me, I needed to step out of it. I need to find the fire back, the need. The feeling I want is the need to compete again,” he explained.

Lack of motivation can carry heavy consequences in combat sports. When the person standing across the cage from you has trained specifically to physically damage you, you always have to be on your A game.

“Mixed martial arts isn’t a sport you can have a bad day. It’s not like a race. It’s not like hockey or a football game. If you have a bad day you can get hurt pretty bad,” said the former titleholder.

St-Pierre still believes he’s the best 170-pound fighter on the planet, and if he ever decides to come back it will be to prove that he is.

“I truly believe if I find the fun of doing it again with time, and I find the fire back, I believe I’m the best in the world. If I ever want to come back, it’s going to be to show it. But right now, I’m enjoying my time,” he said.

His sabbatical from fighting hasn’t been just a soul-searching effort to find peace of mind. St-Pierre is also recovering from knee surgery for a torn ACL.

“I had a knee surgery. My knee was already damaged. It’s something that I needed to fix. It was unstable for a long time because I hurt it a long time ago, but I never took care of it. It was just a question of time before it happened. I tore my ACL, and now I’m going to come back with two good knees. My stability will be 100-percent and it’s going to be good. So I can’t wait,” said St-Pierre.

Comments

UFC Fight Night 117 results: Jessica Andrade beats up Claudia Gadelha in bloody battle

Claudia Gadelha only had lost to strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk before Friday. Then Jessica Andrade came into her life. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Kevin Lee: Champ Conor McGregor has lost 3 of 4, got 'outwrestled' by 40-year-old boxer

UFC 216 headliner Kevin Lee is doing all he can to lure Conor McGregor into a UFC lightweight title-unification match.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz Scrapped from UFC 216 Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 216 has lost a fight just over 24-hours away from the event. Lightweight fighter Nik Lentz has been forced out of his scheduled fight against former teammate Will Brooks and the matchup has now b read news >>

Manager: Henry Cejudo will fight Sergio Pettis at UFC 218 despite injuries, lost Olympic medal in fire

Henry Cejudo still plans to fight at UFC 218 despite burning his foot and losing key personal items while escaping the California wildfires.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre 'Battle Cry' Trailer Unveiled | MMAWeekly.com

Former welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre is returning from a four-year hiatus to challenge current middleweight champion Michael Bisping. read news >>

UFC contender Julianna Pena announces pregnancy, putting career on hold

Julianna Pena won’t be returning to the octagon any time soon; the UFC women’s bantamweight contender is pregnant.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Star Julianna Pena is Pregnant | MMAWeekly.com

UFC bantamweight contender Julianna Pena is pregnant. Pena hasn't set foot in the Octagon since she lost to Valentina Shevchenko at UFC on FOX 25 in January, and now it looks like she won't be return read news >>

UFC 217's Georges St-Pierre: No fight enhances my legacy more than Michael Bisping

Georges St-Pierre is returning competition at UFC 217 to make his already legendary resume inside the octagon even better.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Did Mark Godbeer get the better end of the UFC 216 fight cancellation after all?

Even though he lost the chance to fight at UFC 216 at the last minute, did Mark Godbeer wind up getting the better end of the deal?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Replay: Relive UFC 216 with MMAjunkie Radio's fight-night SportsCastr event

Miss UFC 216, or just want to relive Saturday’s big pay-per-view event? Check out a replay of the fight-night chat with MMAjunkie Radio’s hosts.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>