#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Jan Blachowicz #Jimi Manuwa #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #Conor McGregor #Fight On #UFC 223

Georges St-Pierre Fought Michael Bisping with Injured Neck | MMAWeekly.com

Former welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre returned to the Octagon after four years away from the sport at UFC 217 on Nov. 4 and captured the middleweight title by choking out Michael Bisping. Adding to the impressive accomplishment, St-Pierre suffered a neck injury early in the title bout.

St-Pierre did not attend the post-fight press conference because he was transported to the hospital. Part of the reason why he was taken for evaluation was due to the neck injury.

“During the fight, I got hit with an elbow behind the head at the back of the skull. It’s attached to the spinal cord. When I got hit, I got kind of a flash knockdown a little bit. I got a very bad inflammation in my neck and I couldn’t really move my head much, especially at the end when I cooled down after the fight,” said St-Pierre during a media conference call on Thursday. “It was terrible. I couldn’t even tie up my shoes. It was very bad.”

“Rush” watched a replay of the fight and believes he suffered the injury occurred in the first round. He fought on for two more rounds before getting the finish late in the third frame.

Georges St-Pierre“It happened, I believe, in the first round. It looked very insignificant when it happened, but it was really there. It’s not the strength of the hit. It was more the precision of it,” he said. “It’s not (Bisping’s) fault. We’re not allowed to hit there, but it’s not his fault. I think it was just during the heat of the fight.

“My neck was so inflamed that when I was on the floor I had a hard time posturing up to strike because it was hurting me very bad. I felt like my muscles couldn’t contract. I couldn’t contract my head to posture up and strike. It was a very weird feeling. I felt like my muscle was numb and dead. It was very strange. After the fight when I cooled down it was very terrible,” added St-Pierre.

Fortunately for the newly crowned middleweight champion, the injury wasn’t serious.  While he still has soreness in his neck, no longterm damage was done.

“It’s still sore, but it got a lot better now that I got treatment on it,” he said.  “I’ll be back 100-percent ready.”

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 5 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Michael Bisping Answers Derek Brunson's Call Out for a Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping might be sticking around for one more fight before calling it a career but he has no interest in that coming against Derek Brunson. Brunson took to Twitter earlier this week to call B read news >>

Cris Cyborg Fights Off Surprise Masked Assailant BJ Penn at UFC 222 Workouts | MMAWeekly.com

Cris Cyborg fought off a surprise masked assailant at her UFC 222 Open Workout, only to reveal it was former UFC champion BJ Penn. read news >>

C.B. Dollaway Discusses Injuries from Elevator Accident, Return to UFC

C.B. Dollaway has revealed he has "permanent damage" from the elevator accident he suffered back in September 2016. Dollaway said surgery is not an option to try to resolve the problem, per Shaun Al- read news >>

Adriano Moraes Injured, Gianni Subba Gets New ONE: Visions of Victory Opponent | MMAWeekly.com

Adriano Moraes is injured and out of ONE: Visions of Victory, so Gianni Subba has a new opponent. read news >>

Joe Rogan Interviews Injured Sean O'Malley on His Back in Octagon at UFC 222 | MMAWeekly.com

The first ever Octagon interview of a fighter on his back? That may be, as Joe Rogan interviewed an injured Sean O'Malley at UFC 222. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Isn't Finished Yet: 'I Think I Will Fight Again' | MMAWeekly.com

Georges St-Pierre isn't done with fighting just yet. After winning the UFC middleweight title this past November only to surrender it a few weeks later due to a debilitating bout of ulcerative coliti read news >>

Brian Ortega Reveals Dana White Guaranteed He's Next for Max Holloway | MMAWeekly.com

Undefeated featherweight contender Brian Ortega on Monday revealed that UFC president Dana White guaranteed that he gets the next shot at UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway. read news >>

Conor McGregor, Max Holloway Pay Homage to Frankie Edgar After Shocking KO Loss | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar suffered the first knockout loss of what will almost assuredly be a Hall of Fame career at UFC 222 on Saturday night. Edgar was caught by a crushing elbow courtesy of Brian Ortega in th read news >>

Dana White Gives Sean O'Malley UFC 222 Injury Update | MMAWeekly.com

? (Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) Dana White was very happy with Sean O'Malley's performance at UFC 222 and gave an update on whether or not O'Malley broke his foot during the fight at the UF read news >>

Luke Rockhold: 'I Could Beat Michael Bisping's Ass If I Modeled 365 Days a Year' | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold fires a shot at Michael Bisping in an ongoing war of words as the two rivals continue to hint at a third fight against each other. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Believes Ben Askren is One of the Best, but Won't Fight Him | MMAWeekly.com

Georges St-Pierre believes Ben Askren is one of the most talented welterweight fighters in the world, but won't fight him. read news >>

Ben Askren Details How He'd 'Break' Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

Former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre recently stated that he considers former Bellator and ONE champ Ben Askren one of the best fighters in the world. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Fighting for Legacy, Insists Conor McGregor Doesn't Fit the Bill | MMAWeekly.com

Despite his coach saying it would be the biggest fight in history, Georges St-Pierre says a Conor McGregor fight does little for his legacy. read news >>

Benson Henderson vs. Roger Huerta New Bellator 196 Headliner Following Injury | MMAWeekly.com

Following an injury to original headliner James Gallagher, Benson Henderson vs. Roger Huerta has been elevated to the Bellator 196 main event. read news >>

Ben Askren Predicts That He'll Fight Georges St-Pierre in 2019 | MMAWeekly.com

After defending his ONE welterweight title in November, Ben Askren retired, but left the door open for a return if it's against someone like Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

Luke Rockhold, Michael Bisping Get Into Another Expletive Filled War of Words | MMAWeekly.com

Longtime rivals Luke Rockhold and Michael Bisping were firing shots at each other once again on Tuesday night with the two former middleweight champions exchanging several expletive filled messages o read news >>

Search for: