#Bellator 191 #UFC 218 #Francis Ngannou #Conor McGregor #Alistair Overeem #UFC 217 #Michael McDonald #Peter Ligier #Michael Bisping #James Thompson #Robbie Lawler

Former welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre returned to the Octagon after four years away from the sport at UFC 217 on Nov. 4 and captured the middleweight title by choking out Michael Bisping. Adding to the impressive accomplishment, St-Pierre suffered a neck injury early in the title bout.

St-Pierre did not attend the post-fight press conference because he was transported to the hospital. Part of the reason why he was taken for evaluation was due to the neck injury.

“During the fight, I got hit with an elbow behind the head at the back of the skull. It’s attached to the spinal cord. When I got hit, I got kind of a flash knockdown a little bit. I got a very bad inflammation in my neck and I couldn’t really move my head much, especially at the end when I cooled down after the fight,” said St-Pierre during a media conference call on Thursday. “It was terrible. I couldn’t even tie up my shoes. It was very bad.”

“Rush” watched a replay of the fight and believes he suffered the injury occurred in the first round. He fought on for two more rounds before getting the finish late in the third frame.

Georges St-Pierre“It happened, I believe, in the first round. It looked very insignificant when it happened, but it was really there. It’s not the strength of the hit. It was more the precision of it,” he said. “It’s not (Bisping’s) fault. We’re not allowed to hit there, but it’s not his fault. I think it was just during the heat of the fight.

“My neck was so inflamed that when I was on the floor I had a hard time posturing up to strike because it was hurting me very bad. I felt like my muscles couldn’t contract. I couldn’t contract my head to posture up and strike. It was a very weird feeling. I felt like my muscle was numb and dead. It was very strange. After the fight when I cooled down it was very terrible,” added St-Pierre.

Fortunately for the newly crowned middleweight champion, the injury wasn’t serious.  While he still has soreness in his neck, no longterm damage was done.

“It’s still sore, but it got a lot better now that I got treatment on it,” he said.  “I’ll be back 100-percent ready.”

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 2 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Relive Michael Bisping's TKO Win Over Cung Le (UFC Shanghai Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Take a look back at Michael Bisping's TKO win over Cung Le. Bisping steps in on short notice to face Kelvin Gastelum in the main event of Fight Night Shanghai. read news >>

Jorge Masvidal Doesn't Want Georges St-Pierre to Hold Up the Welterweight Division | MMAWeekly.com

No. 6 ranked welterweight Jorge Masvidal hopes his weight class doesn't experience the same log jam that the lightweight and middleweight division's have. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre: 'My entourage told me it was a bad idea' to fight Michael Bisping at UFC 217

Georges St-Pierre admits there was some conflict within his team regarding his comeback vs. Michael Bisping at UFC 217.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dominick Cruz Out; John Lineker Now Faces Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

Following an injury to former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz, John Lineker has stepped up to face Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 in Las Vegas on Dec. 30. UFC officials announced the matchup on Tuesday read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum Sees Himself 'Demolishing' Michael Bisping | MMAWeekly.com

Hear from Kelvin Gastelum before he takes on former middleweight champion Michael Bisping this Saturday at Fight Night Shanghai. read news >>

Michael Bisping: 'I'm Fighting Myself in this Fight' | MMAWeekly.com

Less than three weeks removed from a disappointing title fight at UFC 217, Michael Bisping is grateful for the opportunity to get back in the Octagon. read news >>

Michael Bisping and Kelvin Gastelum Hit the Mark, While One UFC Shanghai Fighter Misses Weight | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC Shanghai main event between Michael Bisping and Kelvin Gastelum got the green light at Thursday's weigh-in, but it wasn't without hesitation. read news >>

Breaking Down Michael Bisping's Quest for Redemption at UFC Shanghai | MMAWeekly.com

Dan Hardy dissects the UFC Fight Night Shanghai main event between No. 2 ranked Michael Bisping and No. 9 ranked Kelvin Gastelum. read news >>

Dana White Has No Regrets Allowing Michael Bisping a Quick Return After GSP Loss | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White explains how Michael Bisping could be allowed to fight just three weeks removed from a third-round loss to Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum and Michael Bisping UFC Shanghai Octagon Interviews | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Kelvin Gastelum and Michael Bisping in the Octagon after their UFC Fight Night 122 main event fight in Shanghai, China. read news >>