#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Cody Garbrandt #Donald Cerrone #UFC Fight Night 118 #Michael Bisping #UFC 207

Georges St-Pierre 4336 UFC 94-478x270UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre is used to having opponents try to get under his skin leading up to fights.

His rivalry with B.J. Penn comes to mind, as well as the two fights with Matt Serra, and who can forget the smack talk by Josh Koscheck leading up to their UFC 124 showdown?

St-Pierre takes on Nick Diaz in the UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz main event, and the war of words got heated on a recent media conference call between the two.

Diaz referred to St-Pierre as “pampered.” He has accused the champion of point fighting.  Following his UFC 137 win over B.J. Penn, Diaz called St-Pierre’s knee injury into question and accused the titleholder of being “scared.”

Diaz stated, “I don’t think Georges is hurt.  I think he’s scared.  Where you at Georges?”  But it all just rolls off St-Pierre’s back.

“Well it’s not the first time that the opponent, the guy that I’m fighting, tried to get in my head. I’ve fought many people before that, that disrespect me and for me it’s another fight and I’m trying very hard to be ready for the fight and I don’t focus on that,” he said.

St-Pierre requested the fight with Diaz, who is coming off a suspension and a loss to Carlos Condit in his last outing.  Diaz has been calling for a fight with St-Pierre for quite some time.  The rivalry will be settled at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Words will not be a factor when the Octagon door closes behind them on March 16. While the media and fans may be focused on the pre-fight banter, St-Pierre is only concerned with what variables he can control.

“I focus on things that I do control,” said St-Pierre. “I don’t focus on things that people are saying about me. I focus only on myself and what I’m going to do.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Comments

Derrick Lewis Says He Is 'Not Focused' Heading into UFC 216 Fight Against Werdum

Derrick Lewis is jovial and entertaining on social media, but when Hurricane Harvey hit Houston, Texas, Lewis showed off his heart. And the effects of that storm are still weighing on the UFC heavywe read news >>

Demetrious Johnson was Injured Going into UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

You'd never have known it, but Demetrious Johnson was injured heading into his UFC 216 flyweight title defense against Ray Borg. read news >>

GSP and Michael Bisping Drop Puck at Hockey Game, Smack Talk Each Other on Ice

UFC 217 is coming down the pipe pretty quickly, and headliners Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre have indulged in quite a press tour in preparation for the Madison Square Garden showdown. This we read news >>

Newcomer Benito Lopez says he's fighting Albert Morales at UFC Fight Night 123

Undefeated Team Alpha Male product Benito Lopez says his UFC debut will come at UFC Fight Night 123.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ex-UFC contender Ian McCall joins Rizin FF bantamweight grand prix, debuts Dec. 29

Due to an infamous run of bad luck, Ian McCall has fought just once since July 2014. But that could soon change – in a big way.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Before UFC-Gdansk headliner, watch Donald Cerrone's slick combo on Rick Story

A few seconds of Donald Cerrone’s UFC 202 bout with Rick Story have become one of MMA’s more popular recent GIFs – and for good reason.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Charles Byrd Forced the Tap, Earned a UFC Contract (Free Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Witness Charles Byrd become the first fighter to go 2-0 on Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series and earn a UFC contract. read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 118 in Poland

We want your predictions for Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 118 event in Las Vegas.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Why UFC 218's Justin Gaethje is publicly declaring short-notice fights are a no-no

So let it be known: UFC lightweight standout Justin Gaethje doesn’t want to take short-notice fights in the octagon.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ex-Bellator champ Will Brooks says he's fighting at UFC Fight Night 121

After losing his latest matchup on a day’s notice, Will Brooks apparently will return to action next month at UFC Fight Night 121.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>