#Fight Night London #GSP #UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #UFC 224

Gegard Mousasi Tells Haters of Bellator Debut 'They Can Suck It'

BUFFALO, NY - APRIL 08: Gegard Mousasi of the Netherlands walks backstage after defeating Chris Weidman by TKO in their middleweight bout during the UFC 210 event at the KeyBank Center on April 8, 2017 in Buffalo, New York. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images

Gegard Mousasi's Bellator MMA debut this weekend left a lot of people feeling sour. Despite struggling to mount any offense on ex-champion Alexander Shlemenko because of bad swelling around his right eye, Mousasi took home a unanimous-decision win.

The scorecards were met with boos and hisses both live and on social media, something that doesn't sit well with the fighter. Speaking with Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour, the veteran defended his performance and had two words for anybody that didn't enjoy his victory.

"He punched me right in the eye in the first minute so I was fighting on instinct, trying to survive," he said (h/t MMA Fighting's Alexander K. Lee). "I was fighting with one eye for almost three rounds so it didn't go the way I wanted, but a win is a win. To the haters, they can suck it."

In the early goings of the fight, Mousasi was tagged clean by an overhand left from Shlemenko that immediately shut his eye and possibly broke his orbital. The loss of depth perception greatly impacted his ability to compete, resulting in whiffed punches and desperate takedown attempts. Shlemenko was in full command in the third round, but by that point, Mousasi had already earned enough points to take the contest via decision.

The comparatively weak performance by Mousasi restarted discussion on social media about a number of topics, including the struggles of UFC fighters in Bellator (and vice versa) and lingering questions about where Mousasi stacks up in the highly competitive 185-pound division. Those topics, however, are of no concern to the former Dream champion. He has more pressing matters at hand.

"I'm not pissed off. I don't care," he said later. "I'm going to eat lobster. I'm going to sit in my farm, drive a tractor and my car. Who cares about these guys? I made my money. I have a better life than all of these bums."

Despite the controversy, Mousasi's win over Shlemenko lines him up for a crack at the middleweight title, which will be held by the winner of the championship bout between Rafael Carvalho and Alessio Sakara set for December 9. Look for Mousasi's shot to come at some point in early 2018.

Comments

Bellator 198 pre-event facts: Frank Mir brings decorated UFC resume to Bellator

Check out the key facts, figures and footnotes about Bellator 198, which features a Fedor Emelianenko vs. Frank Mir grand prix headliner. read news >>

Meet 'The Ultimate Fighter 27' cast: Thailand Clark, who was snubbed by Dana White and Bellator

Get to know cast member Thailand Clark, who was featured when “The Ultimate Fighter” returned this past week for its 27th season. read news >>

Video: Before Bellator 198, watch Emmanuel Sanchez's flying triangle, Donkey Kong punches, other badassery

If you like a little variety with your highlight reels, Emmanuel Sanchez’s is worth checking out. read news >>

John Salter out, Gerald Harris in to fight Rafael Lovato Jr. at Bellator 198

Gerald Harris has agreed to step in for John Salter in a 188-pound catchweight meeting with grappling ace Rafael Lovato Jr. on Saturday. read news >>

A title shot would be great, but Bellator 198's John Salter fine waiting 'as long as I stay busy'

Bellator 198’s John Salter thinks he’s got a title-eliminator bout against unbeaten grappling ace Rafael Lovato Jr., but has also learned to manage his expectations: “As long as I keep winning, I’m g read news >>

John Salter Plans to Leave No Question That He's No. 1 Contender at Bellator 198 | MMAWeekly.com

At Bellator 198 on Saturday, John Salter (15-3) will look to cement a title shot when he takes on Rafael Lovato Jr. (7-0) in a main card 185-pound bout. read news >>

PFL's $1 million tourneys may not lure Bellator's Michael Chandler, but Rizin FF could

As far as free agents go, former Bellator champion and longtime 155-pound standout Michael Chandler could soon become a hot property. read news >>

Fans invited to weigh-ins, Chael Sonnen/Frank Mir comedy show at Bellator 198

If you’re heading to “The Windy City” for this week’s Bellator 198 card, you have some fight-week events available to attend. read news >>

Watch Bellator 198 standout John Salter tear through Jason Radcliffe in Israel

Ahead of his fight at Bellator 198, watch John Salter rip through his seventh straight opponent, and sixth in the first round. read news >>