#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Bellator MMA #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Ovince St. Preux #Conor McGregor #Paul Daley

Gegard Mousasi at Strikeforce

Gegard Mousasi at Strikeforce

The last time Gegard Mousasi stepped into the Strikeforce cage, he suffered only the third loss of his career in 34 attempts, and in the process lost the promotion’s 205-pound title.

Since then, however, he’s rebounded, winning Dream’s Light Heavyweight Grand Prix and re-establishing himself as one of the best fighters in the division.

“I think I’ve recovered from the loss and am in the right place mentally again,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “After a loss it’s always difficult, but I think I bounced back from that loss and I can continue to try to win my fights.

“Every time, I’m trying to be a better fighter, to improve my training, try to get more technical, get mentally better and fight smarter.”

After defeating K-1 heavyweight champion Kyotaro at Dynamite on New Year’s Eve, Mousasi thought his return to MMA would come sooner, but delays ensued, adding further difficulty to his regimen.

“After a while, your motivation is gone,” he admitted. “Dieting and sleeping well all the time, getting up, and training gets difficult after doing it for a long time. I have a lot of motivation to win this fight, so it’s not a problem, but training was difficult, yes.”

Mousasi’s return will come part of Strikeforce’s April 9 fight card in San Diego, against Keith Jardine, who is stepping in for an injured Mike Kyle.

When Mousasi initially heard that Kyle was out of their fight, he responded, “I thought it sucked because this fight had been promised to me since February.

“I said I’d fight anybody, maybe even at heavyweight. They asked me who I would like to fight, but I told them it would be difficult to find somebody to challenge in one week, but they came up with Keith Jardine and we accepted it.”

Jardine not only allows Mousasi to keep a similar game plan to the one he had in place for Kyle, it also allows him to gauge himself against competition he may face down the line.

“He’s a good replacement because he’s mainly a stand-up fighter,” commented Mousasi. “It’s not like I have to face a pure wrestler. I have to fight a little bit different, but the change is not that big.

“He’s a tough opponent. He’s a former UFC fighter, and beat two former UFC champions, so it will be good to get a feeling of how good UFC fighters are.”

Speaking of UFC fighters, with the recent buyout of Strikeforce by the UFC’s parent company, Zuffa, Mousasi feels that the door is now open to possibly prove himself against the fighter who is at the top of the UFC’s 205-pound division.

“Right now Jon Jones is considered the best, and if I win my fights, maybe it could build up a good match against him,” stated Mousasi. “I think it would be such a great fight, so I would like to test myself against him.

“I need to win my fights first in Strikeforce, and then there’s a possibility to fight in the UFC or have the Strikeforce champion versus the UFC champion. But I’ve got to win my fights before thinking about that possibility.”

Ready to do what it takes to re-establish himself as one of the top light heavyweights in the world, it seems like only time stands between Mousasi and the peak of the 205-pound mountain.

“I would like to thank everyone for helping me in preparation for this fight, and Guus van der Meer of Powerplate for helping me out with my nutrition and my training schedule,” concluded Mousasi.

“I hope to give an exciting fight and not let anybody down.”

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Gegard Mousasi Fights

• 10 months ago

Comments

Jon Jones issues cryptic tweet one week after second drug fail

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is facing a potential four-year suspension and the loss of his undisputed title. But to read his Twitter feed on Sunday, you’d think he had not a care in the read news >>

Jon Jones passed blood test after UFC 214, different from urine test failure, USADA explains

A USADA spokesperson urges letting “due process occur before jumping to any conclusions” on Jon Jones.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Commentator Joe Rogan Says Jon Jones Is the 'No. 1 F--kup of All Time'

Last week hosted one of the biggest combat sports extravaganzas of all time, but it wasn't all fun and games. There was a dark cloud hanging over those festivities in the form of the announcement tha read news >>

Aleksandar Rakic sees incoming 'new era' of UFC fighters: 'We are really hungry for it'

Aleksandar Rakic had never set foot in the octagon before UFC Fight Night 115, though you probably couldn’t tell by watching.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215's Ilir Latifi not ready to judge Jon Jones during turbulent time for 205-pound division

Regardless of what happens with Jon Jones, Ilir Latifi believes the UFC light heavyweight division will thrive.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

CSAC executive director: UFC champ Jon Jones situation 'doesn't make any sense'

Why would Jon Jones fail a pre-fight drug test that he knew about while passing two surprise tests weeks earlier? Could a tainted supplement really be to blame, or did he take one thing thinking it w read news >>

Jon Jones' B sample from UFC 214 also positive for steroid turinabol

Jon Jones is now likely to go to arbitration with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency in an attempt to clear his name. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones' B Sample Reportedly Tests Positive for PEDs from UFC 214

UFC fighter Jon Jones' B sample reportedly tested positive for a banned substance. Brett Okamoto of ESPN.com reported the news Tuesday, noting the B sample was for Jones' failed drug test from July 2 read news >>

Jon Jones Reportedly Passed UFC 214 Drug Test 24 Hours After Positive Test

New details reportedly emerged Friday regarding Jon Jones' drug test following his UFC 214 victory over Daniel Cormier. Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting, citing multiple sources, reported Jones passed a read news >>

Twitter reacts to UFC champ Jon Jones' B-sample drug-test failure – and the takes are extra hot

Check out the top Twitter reactions to UFC champ Jon Jones’ positive B-sample drug test.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>