#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Darren Till #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Cody Garbrandt #Felice Herrig #Nunes vs. Rousey #UFC 207 - Nunes vs. Rousey

Leonard Garcia wanted a rematch with Nam Phan badly. | Photo: Dave Mandel

It’s usually the fighter who loses a bout that wants a rematch.

When Leonard Garcia got the call to fight Nam Phan again Saturday at UFC 136, though, he accepted in “three-tenths of a second” despite winning their first encounter.

“This fight was real important to me,” Garcia told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “… The way it felt for me the first time we were in the cage, before I had seen the fight, I felt like I was getting beat. I didn’t feel good about the decision, so I offered him a rematch right away. I was a man of my word and tried to do it, and of course it fell through and he got injured. Now we have a chance to go in there and rewrite it.”

Garcia won that first contest in December 2010 via a very controversial split decision. It wasn’t his best showing by any stretch, but he did take the fight on short notice. He’d just eaten Thanksgiving dinner when the UFC called to see what he weighed. After stepping on a scale at 172 pounds, he agreed to make 145 in eight days.

“My whole training camp for Nam last time was a sweatsuit and a treadmill,” Garcia said. “That’s all it was. That’s all I was able to do for eight days. A little bit of pad work but not much. All I really did for that camp was lose weight.”

Garcia feels that he had a good first round but that Phan took the second. In the third, he said both men sat back and tried to catch their breath.

“It was one of those fights where I wasn’t happy throughout the whole fight,” Garcia said. “I remember in between rounds I was like, ‘What the f--k did I get myself into? I’m tired.’ It was just bad thoughts going through my mind. … I took all those feelings into the training camp with me this time. Every time I felt like that, when I was tired getting in shape for this one, I just pushed through it. I know that I can because I was able to push through in that fight.”

Some of Phan’s postfight comments have also motivated Garcia.

“I respect Nam as a fighter,” Garcia said. “I think he’s a great fighter. I just don’t like him as a person. Some of the stuff he said after that last fight was stuff that I felt like he was taking some personal blows at me. Now I’m going in with a chip on my shoulder.”

For the rematch, Garcia has had four weeks to prepare. That’s not exactly a full training camp, but the Jackson’s MMA product said it’s plenty of time to deliver a much better performance.

“I think Nam’s not going to come out and try to stand with me,” Garcia said. “I think he’s going to try to take me down. I’m eager to show people my jiu-jitsu skills and my wrestling skills. If he tries to stand, it won’t be anything like it was the first fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:25:06).

Comments

Admit it, we want Takanori Gomi to retire for our benefit – not his

Each time Former PRIDE hero Takanori Gomi loses another one and doesn’t retire, it feels like a promise that there’s worse yet to come.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 183 Results: Benson Henderson Loses Split Decision to Patricky Freire

Anytime Benson Henderson enters the cage, you never quite know what to expect. But his Saturday night main event at Bellator 183 in San Jose, California, against Patricky Freire ended with the same r read news >>

M-1's 'best knockouts ever' video delivers on its promise (with some vintage Fedor!)

Who doesn’t want to see five minutes of knockout highlights from the past two decades?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Primus rematch? Sure, but Michael Chandler also eyes 170 with MacDonald and Daley

It’s not that Michael Chandler doesn’t want a chance to reclaim Bellator’s 155-pound title. But eyeing a quick turnaround and big fights in the welterweight division, it’s not his only option.Filed u read news >>

Bellator 183 winner Goiti Yamauchi on his speak-the-truth vision to become lightweight champ

Goiti Yamauchi doesn’t mind that he was dismissive of his opponent’s skills before Bellator 183. He spoke his truth, then proved it.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Video: Ahead of his ONE Championship open-weight superfight, meet KO artist Alain Ngalani

It doesn’t take a trained eye to realize Alain Ngalani is capable of incredible things inside of a cage. But take a second to learn more about “The Panther.”Filed under: News, Videos read news >>

UFC 216 loses a featured prelim on eve of event

So much for that UFC 216 bout between Will Brooks and Nik Lentz.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Everyone is making fun of Daniel Cormier's struggle with an audio cord

As if Daniel Cormier doesn’t have a hard enough job as the UFC light heavyweight champion. The broadcast booth also presented some challenges. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Veteran UFC lightweight Michael Johnson wants top guys if he moves to featherweight

Michael Johnson, now 31, doesn’t have time to waste if he moves down to featherweight.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Friday's Bellator 185 lineup loses 2 main-card bouts

Friday’s Bellator 185 main card has undergone some major changes.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>