All signs point to a rematch between UFC champions Georges St. Pierre (Pictures) and B.J. Penn (Pictures) on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas, the French Canadian’s manager Shari Spencer confirmed on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show Monday.

“That’s my understanding,” said Spencer. “I know [UFC President] Dana [White] has been announcing it publicly. We haven’t officially signed a bout agreement, but everything is pointing toward January 31 in Vegas against B.J. Penn.”

Current welterweight king St. Pierre (17-2) edged out a split decision victory over his lightweight counterpart Penn (13-4-1) over three back-and-forth rounds at UFC 58 in March 2006.

Nearly three years later, the 29-year-old Penn --- now the UFC’s undisputed lightweight champion on a three-fight win streak –- and a majority of fans have clamored for the second meeting, which will pair up two of the sport’s most gifted athletes.

Spencer confirmed news of the potential 170-pound title bout on the heels of intensive renegotiations with Zuffa LLC, parent company to the UFC, to retain St. Pierre’s services.

Following the Quebec native’s five-round decimation of the durable but overmatched Jon Fitch (Pictures) at UFC 87 on Aug. 9 in Minnesota, St. Pierre had one fight remaining on his contract with the organization.

“We've been in long discussions with the UFC for several months,” said Spencer. “I am not at liberty to say anything right now. But there should be some news coming out regarding that very shortly."

A mixture of athleticism, work ethic and professionalism in and out of the cage, the 27-year-old St. Pierre has risen to become one of the sport’s most marketable and sought-after stars.

With word of St. Pierre’s current contract reaching its maturation, speculation mounted that the affable champion might consider migration to a rival promotion, particularly Affliction Entertainment, which enjoys a healthy clothing sponsorship deal with the fighter.

Fighters were forbidden from wearing the wildly popular clothing brand once Affliction decided to enter the market as a rival promoter last year. St. Pierre was among those affected by the decision.

Affliction held its first event “Banned” on July 19 in Anaheim, Calif., in front of a sell-out crowd of nearly 15,000 patrons. It’s pay-per-view numbers have been estimated between an impressive 85,000-135,000 buys, and the company will hold its second event on Oct. 11 in Las Vegas.

"We've had a very strong and supportive relationship with Affliction as a clothing sponsor ever since I have been involved with Georges, and it's grown during that time,” said Spencer. “We have a loyalty to them as a clothing sponsor and we have a loyalty to our promoter, and a respect for their decision not to allow a competing promoter to have brand placement within their event.

“We don't have to like it, we respect it obviously, and understand it. Having said that, it's still difficult. The UFC right now, they're a privately held company. I think Dana has also used the term to describe it as the ‘wild west.’ It lacks a strong infrastructure, it lacks a governing body, so you dance with the guy that 'brung' you to the dance so to speak. It's their rules, it's their show, so we respect that.”

Click here to listen to Shari Spencer’s interview on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC on FOX 23's Alex Caceres won't trash talk fighter he doesn't know – or Jason Knight

  • 25 days ago
  • 13 views

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – UFC featherweight Alex Caceres’ manager texted him recently to ask whether he’d fight his next opponent. Caceres, though, just wanted the details of when. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Max Holloway signs on for 'Den of Thieves' movie, hopes to be cleared next week

  • 17 days ago
  • 14 views

HOUSTON – UFC interim featherweight champion Max Holloway said he’s recovered after re-injuring his ankle at UFC 206, and he’s still gunning for undisputed champ Jose Aldo. Filed under: Featured Vide read news >>

Manager says Gegard Mousasi's UFC 210 bout not in jeopardy, but UFC monitoring situation

  • 20 days ago
  • 25 views

Gegard Mousasi’s manager is confident the UFC middleweight won’t be kept from fighting ex-champ Chris Weidman at UFC 210. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 208 results: Islam Makhachev works over Nik Lentz for dominant unanimous decision

  • 8 days ago
  • 4 views

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Islam Makhachev dominated Nik Lentz for the full three rounds in a one-sided fight that only got worse for Lentz as time went on. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Confirms Georges St-Pierre Has Signed for UFC Return | MMAWeekly.com

  • 3 days ago
  • 17 views

UFC president Dana White on Friday made Georges St-Pierre's return to the Octagon official. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre signs new UFC deal; Dana White says potential comeback fights abound

  • 3 days ago
  • 12 views

One of the greatest MMA fighters of all time is set to make his return to the octagon after a more than three-year absence.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

It's not Ellenberger, but Patrick Cote gets UFC 210 date against Thiago Alves in Buffalo

  • 3 days ago
  • 3 views

Patrick Cote was hoping to get on the UFC’s return to Buffalo in April, and he has gotten his wish – just not against the opponent he was looking for. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Cris Cyborg Granted Exemption, Cleared of UFC Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

  • 3 days ago
  • 6 views

USADA on Friday announced that Cris Cyborg has been granted a retroactive Therapeutic Use Exemption and will therefore not face an anti-doping policy violation. read news >>

USADA clears 'Cyborg' Justino for immediate return to UFC

  • 3 days ago
  • 17 views

Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino was granted the exemption after a comprehensive review of her medical history involving spironolactone, the banned diuretic for which she tested positive, USADA said. Filed read news >>

Cris 'Cyborg' Justino Cleared to Return to UFC by Doping Agency

  • 3 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC star Cris Cyborg will not face a suspension from the United States Anti-Doping Agency for a drug test failure. USADA officially announced its decision regarding Cyborg on Friday on its official w read news >>