#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Conor McGregor #DWTNCS #GGG #Nate Diaz #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping

On the verge of the biggest fight of his career, Eric Kelly is man with perspective. Once without even a proper place to sleep or money to buy a meal, Kelly now stands just one victory away from becoming the first One FC featherweight champion.

“The Natural” will lock horns with Honorio Banario Saturday in the main event of One FC 7, which streams live on pay-per-view following a preliminary card stream on Sherdog.com. The event takes place at Putra Indoor Stadium in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Born in Baguio City, Philippines, Kelly traveled to Manila years ago to pursue his dream of becoming a professional fighter.

“Before, it was really, really hard. I had no money, but I tried to find a way. Then I got injured, and I went home,” Kelly recently told Sherdog.com of his first trip to his country’s capital. “I wanted to be a wushu fighter so bad, but they just threw me away. They didn’t help me to heal my injury, and they totally cut off my allowance. I had a kid, and I was very sad at that time. I went home, and I couldn’t train anymore, but I always knew that when my injuries healed that I would go back to Manila.”

Kelly indeed returned to the capital but not to his first love of wushu. Poor and trying to make ends meet, he took several jobs before finding a position as a bodyguard for Pablo Glean, security aide to the mayor of Makati City. Two attempts on Glean’s life were made in 2006 while Kelly was in his employ. Kelly was present for the first, unsuccessful hit. During the second attempt -- which resulted in Glean’s death -- Kelly was off duty, spending time with his family for his son’s birthday.

Kelly quit the bodyguarding business and turned his full attention to mixed martial arts, making his pro debut in 2009 and winning the Universal Reality Combat Championship featherweight title in just his fifth bout. His performances in the Philippines-based organization caught the eye of One Fighting Championship brass, who signed the fighter in 2011.

Three straight wins would follow for Kelly in the One FC cage, as he topped Mitch Chilson, Bae Young Kwon and former UFC lightweight king Jens Pulver before returning to the URCC this past December to submit Brad Terry with an eleventh-hour armbar on Dec. 1.

With nine victories under his belt, Kelly, who now lives and trains in Malaysia, will next fight to become One FC champion. Despite the inherent pressure of such a situation, Kelly says the large stage has only served to focus him further.

“I feel a little bit nervous, because I’m afraid to lose. That’s why I’m doing my best to train hard for this fight now. I’m going in to show myself that I can fight, and I will do my best to try to get that belt,” said Kelly. “I just try to do my thing and try to defeat my opponent [inside the distance]. I’m not worried. I just want to prove myself.”

Though Kelly has dedicated himself to the task at hand, he is also open about his hopes of one day fighting the best featherweights in the sport.

“I think that [UFC champion] Jose Aldo is very skillful. That’s my dream opponent that I want to fight. I like watching his fights, and I want to test my skills against him and see what would happen.”

Comments

Showtime exec Stephen Espinoza stops short of predicting May-Mac breaking pay-per-view record

Stephen Espinoza, who calls himself “conservative by nature,” also wasn’t sold on Mayweather-Pacquiao doing astronomical numbers.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor: Fight Time, Date, PPV Info and Fight Card Schedule

The biggest spectacle in combat sports goes down on Saturday with the long-awaited clash between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor in Las Vegas, Nevada. It was a long and drawn out process to a read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Odds: Vegas Fight Lines for Money vs. Notorious

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will attempt to defend his perfect record as he battles Conor McGregor in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Saturday. Money remains the favourite to defeat the UFC superstar, but Notorious h read news >>

Floyd Mayweather: I'll bet on myself to beat Conor McGregor, 'most likely' biggest ever

Floyd Mayweather says we’ll see the ticket proving what promises to be a huge bet on himself to beat Conor McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

5 reasons to watch 'Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani,' hiding under the MayMac radar

Most of the MMA world is focused on MayMac this week, but don’t forget about two crucial welterweight fights Friday at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Ex-champ Andrey Koreshkov has sights focused on another title run after Chidi Njokuani

Andrey Koreshkov says he found the mistake he made against Douglas Lima to lose his Bellator title and doesn’t plan on making it again.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor: Fight Card Odds and Undercard Predictions

The biggest fight in combat sports history is now just one day away, as Floyd Mayweather Jr. takes on Conor McGregor in the most hyped boxing match in history inside of the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vega read news >>

Conor McGregor's manager explains biggest misconception of May-Mac showdown

Audie Attar reflects on everything leading up to “The Money Fight,” including his fight week altercation with Paulie Malignaggi.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

McGregor vs. Mayweather Projected Winner and Prize Money Purse

Money is one of the biggest factors surrounding the impending showdown between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor on Saturday. One of the sporting world's modern dream matches came to fruition o read news >>

Conor McGregor Guaranteed to Make 10 Times His Biggest UFC Payday in Floyd Mayweather Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Win, lose or draw on Saturday night, Conor McGregor is laughing all the way to the bank. The reigning UFC lightweight champion will make a guaranteed $30 million payday for his fight against Floyd Ma read news >>