#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 117 #Gokhan Saki #UFC Fight Night 83 #Nate Diaz #Jon Jones #Jessica Andrade #Luke Rockhold #Claudia Gadelha #Saint Preux #David Branch

UFC veteran Ian Freeman faces jail time after failing to declare income earned from professional fights he competed in and other fight-related employment between 2003-2005. The Durham Crown Court in Sunderland, England, will sentence Freeman on March 3.

Freeman plead guilty to “three charges of making a false statement, one charge of fraudulently evading income tax, and one charge of making a false statement to obtain a mortgage,” according to a Feb. 3 article in the Sunderland Echo. Freeman, 41, is a Sunderland native and a father of three.

Freeman is being penalized for unpaid tax income and inaccurate tax credit paid between January 2003 and July 2006, totaling £44,178 ($65,312.50 USD).

Freeman’s wife Angela also admitted to three charges of making false statements, including submitting an inaccurate application for tax credit, according to the article. Mrs. Freeman will receive a “suspended sentence” and will not serve jail time.

“I've never held a full time job,” Freeman wrote in an email to Sherdog.com last week. “All I've known is doorman work or fighting and I last worked the doors over 10 years ago. I know nothing about taxes and what I need to do to pay the tax man.”

Freeman (19-7-1), who made six appearances in the Octagon up until 2003, said his confusion came from fighting in the U.S., where taxes were withheld before payment, and then in his homeland, where taxes are to be paid by the person of his own accord.

“From 2003 to the end of 2004, I fought in the UK and when I received my purse money, I automatically accepted it was all mine,” he wrote. “The government do not tax you like the USA. You have to pay the taxman yourself in England. So due to ignorance of the law, I never paid taxes.”

Freeman said he paid his taxes from 2006 on when he became self-employed.

“I had broken law, but not to my knowledge,” wrote Freeman. “Ignorance is not a defense, so I had to plead guilty. I wish I knew then what I know now.”

Freeman retired from active competition in 2005, but returned a year later for three fights with Cage Rage in London. Freeman was also hired as a coach for a UK squad in the International Fight League, but the promotion went under before his team could debut. Freeman last competed for UK’s Cage Rage in May 2008, earning a unanimous decision over Paul Cahoon in a light heavyweight championship bout.

Freeman plans to fulfill ring announcer duties for M-1 Challenge’s season two opener on Feb. 21 in Seattle.

Comments

Kevin Lee: Conor McGregor is a Paper UFC Lightweight Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee fights for the interim lightweight title against Tony Ferguson at UFC 216 and says the bout will crown the real lightweight champion. read news >>

Struve believes he's best he's ever been

Almost nine years and 18 fights into his UFC career, Stefan Struve is finally starting to show just how dangerous he can be inside the Octagon. The 29-year-old returns to action Saturday, headlining read news >>

UFC 215 lineup set with 2 title fights in Edmonton, including Demetrious Johnson's quest for record

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return trip to Canada next month, including a pair of title fights at the top of the bill. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Thiago 'Marreta' Santos meets Polish veteran Michal Materla at UFC Gdansk

Michal Materla, a veteran Polish fighter, makes his UFC debut in front of his home-country fans this fall against Thiago “Marreta” Santos.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC bonus machine Jim Miller just wants someone – 155er or 170er – to bleed with him

Who wants to shed some blood with UFC veteran and bonus machine Jim Miller?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Paige VanZant: 'I've Passed Out in My Bathroom' Cutting Weight for UFC Fights

Paige VanZant has always inhabited a somewhat strange place in the UFC. Part company spokesmodel, part fringe strawweight contender, she walks a tightrope between in-cage legitimacy and out-of-the-ca read news >>

UFC 215 Johnson vs. Borg Full Countdown Video | MMAWeekly.com

Take a closer look at the two world title fights headlining UFC 215 on Saturday at Rogers Place in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. read news >>

UFC 215 results: Rick Glenn overwhelms Gavin Tucker, who earns no mercy from referee

Eleven-year veteran Rick Glenn turned in one of the best performances of his career, battering a previously undefeated Gavin Tucker.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo Wants to Finish Fights in UFC Contract to Start Boxing, Coach Says

Former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo may soon follow in the footsteps of Conor McGregor and take his talents to the boxing ring. "He’s training boxing because he has this dream of competing in read news >>

Super Six Fights - Amanda Nunes

The sports world will be watching on Saturday when UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes defends her title for the second time against rival Valentina Shevchenko in the main event of UFC 215 read news >>