#UFC Fight Night 126 #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #UFC Fight Night 57 #Derrick Lewis #Marcin Tybura #Sage Northcutt #Thiago Alves #Curtis Millender #Bellator 194

Free agent Nordine Taleb's UFC on FOX 26 KO win might be last at welterweight, but not in UFC

WINNIPEG – Nordine Taleb just needed one well-placed kick and one follow-up right hand to end Danny Roberts’ night just 59 seconds into the opening round.

Now the French welterweight faces the question of his future as a free agent. And while he insists it will be with the UFC, he’s less convinced about the weight class.

The impressively violent finish should at least help him get some attention, which Taleb (14-4 MMA, 6-2 UFC) insisted he was lacking after recent outings. His right high kick caught Roberts (14-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC) in the face, staggering him against the fence, and his straight right landed flush while Roberts was still stunned, dropping him to the mat.

“It wasn’t a power kick,” Taleb said afterward backstage at Bell MTS Place in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. “I just threw the kick to see what (would) happen, to see his reaction and get my range. But it landed just at the right place, right moment, so I just moved forward and maximized with my right hand to make sure the job was done.”

While Roberts seemed upset about the stoppage, Taleb noted that it could have been because “he didn’t know what happened, poor guy.”

But for Taleb, the question is whether his performance was enough to earn him a little more promotion from the UFC.

“(The win) places me as a serious guy, a serious prospect in the division in the UFC,” Taleb said. “I’m hoping that this fight will be seen a lot. Then the UFC will give me the support, and I hope I get (a ‘Performance of the Night’ bonus, which he did) because I think I deserve it. It’s a less than 1-minute fight, a knockout, cold, so I think I deserve it.”

Complicating matters is Taleb’s current contractual situation. With that fight, he’s now a free agent, he said. But while he expects that it will be his last at welterweight, in part because he feels he can be more active as a middleweight, especially as he gets older, he doesn’t think it’ll be his last in the UFC.

In fact, he said, he doesn’t even plan to negotiate with other promotions.

“I’ve worked so hard to be in this place today, and I’m not about to leave the UFC,” Taleb said. “I just want the best for both of us, for me, for my family. And I’m pretty sure they will understand, and we will find the perfect range to stay together. The UFC is the most prestigious organization, and I’m looking forward to my next fight in the UFC.”

For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 26, check out the UFC Eventssection of the site.

Comments

Andre Fili Plans to Pick Dennis Bermudez in UFC on FOX 27 Co-Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Andre Fili (17-5) will look to start a winning streak when he takes on Dennis Bermudez (16-7) in the UFC on Fox 27 co-main event on Saturday. read news >>

Twitter reacts to 'Jacare' Souza's KO of Derek Brunson in UFC on FOX 27 rematch

See the top Twitter reactions to ‘Jacare’ Souza’s knockout of Derek Brunson in the UFC on FOX 27 main event. read news >>

'Jacare' Souza Blasts Derek Brunson with Head Kick, Finishes with Punches in UFC on FOX 27 Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza needed a little more time but ultimately got the same result as he finished Derek Brunson with a first round knockout in their rematch as the main event for UFC on FOX 27 in Ch read news >>

John Moraga Faces Wilson Reis in UFC on FOX 29 Flyweight Showdown | MMAWeekly.com

John Moraga will get a hometown match-up with Wilson Reis when the two square off at UFC on FOX 29 on April 14 in Glendale, Az. UFC officials announced the bout on Saturday. Moraga (18-6) was once on read news >>

Arjan Bhullar vs. Adam Wieczorek official for UFC on FOX 29 in Arizona

The UFC’s return to Arizona in April continues to build with a big heavyweight fight. read news >>

Official poster and latest card for 'UFC on FOX 28: Emmett vs. Stephens'

Check out the official fight poster and latest 13-bout lineup for this month’s “UFC on FOX 28: Emmett vs. Stephens” event. read news >>

Thiago Santos Pummels Anthony Smith (UFC Belem Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from the middleweight bout between Thiago Santos and Anthony Smith at UFC Fight Night 125 read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko Annihilated Priscila Cachoeira (UFC Belem Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from the UFC Fight Night 125 co-main event between Valentina Shevchenko and Priscila Cach read news >>

Lyoto Machida Edges Out Eryk Anders (UFC Belem Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from the UFC Fight Night 125 main event between Lyoto Machida and Eryk Anders on Saturday read news >>

Albert Morales welcomes newcomer Manny Bermudez at UFC on FOX 28

A bantamweight matchup between a fighter in real need of a win and an undefeated promotional newcomer has been added to UFC on FOX 28. read news >>