#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor

Frankie Edgar didn’t get the result he wanted Saturday at UFC 150, dropping a controversial split decision to lightweight champion Benson Henderson.

The loss added fuel to the ongoing debate over whether Edgar should drop a weight class, and coming off the defeat the former champion is definitely considering his options.

“I’m going to give myself a week to kind of just let all the emotions go away, just relax and enjoy my family and then sit down probably Sunday with my team and everyone else and just start bouncing some ideas around,” Edgar told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer. “Forty-five is a possibility. Fifty-five, I’ve been so successful and I would love to get a shot at the 155-pound belt again. Who knows? The 145-pound belt is definitely a prestigious belt to go after, especially with Jose Aldo at the helm of it all, but I’ve just got to really sit down and just discuss it with my team and my family and just make the right decision for myself.”

Edgar is not a big lightweight, but he’s beaten B.J. Penn twice in the division, knocked out Gray Maynard to conclude their trilogy and may have deserved the nod over Henderson on Saturday.

“I did think I won,” Edgar said. “I thought I did enough. Sometimes enough is not enough. You’ve just got to do a little more, and apparently I guess that’s what the judges were seeing. I’m not really dwelling on it. There’s nothing I can do about it. I could be upset and complain about it and this and that, but I’ve got to move on and get back in the win column.”

A move to 145 pounds would not be difficult, Edgar said.

“I don’t think I’d have to tweak much,” he explained. “I probably would clean my diet maybe some. I like to eat fairly clean and I’m not a huge eater, so I wouldn’t have to change too, too much, but I’ll be honest: I think a lot of 145-pounders are probably bigger than me down at that weight class anyway. They probably walk around heavier than I do. I don’t think making the weight would be too much of a problem.”

Certainly he could encounter some new competition at 145 pounds. At 155, he’s had a knack for fighting rematches. He fought Penn twice, Henderson twice and Maynard three times. Henderson is the only one he didn’t beat.

“It’s true,” Edgar said. “It’s bittersweet, though, because I would really like to have a win over [Henderson]. I’ve been hearing a lot of people telling me, ‘You won the fight. You didn’t win the fight,’ whatever. But down the line, no one’s going to remember it was controversial. No one’s going to remember anything. They’re just going to see a loss and have Ben Henderson’s name there. That’s a little bittersweet. You would love another chance at it, but down the line, you never know what could happen.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 17:43).

Galleries

Frankie Edgar Fights

• a year ago
  • 1972 views

Comments

Hometown cooking or right call? Here's the Figueiredo vs. Brooks scorecard from UFC-Sao Paulo

Check out the official scorecard from the controversial Deiveson Figueiredo vs. Jarred Brooks bout at UFC Fight Night 119.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Won't Rule Out Greg Hardy Joining UFC

UFC president Dana White wouldn't rule out the possibility of former NFL defensive lineman Greg Hardy eventually joining the MMA promotion. TMZ Sports passed along comments from White as Hardy gets s read news >>

Ricardo Ramos: UFC 217 spinning elbow knockout of Aiemann Zahabi my hardest hit ever

Ricardo Ramos didn’t specifically bring out spinning (expletive) for Aiemann Zahabi, but that’s what ended up happening. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Michael Bisping and Jorge Masvidal's Altercation Caught on UFC 217 Embedded Cameras | MMAWeekly.com

The controversial hotel confrontation between Michael Bisping and Jorge Masvidal was caught by the UFC 217 Embedded crew. read news >>

James Krause returning to lightweight at UFC Fight Night 124 in St. Louis

After much deliberation, James Krause will return to 155 pounds for his next UFC bout.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar out of UFC 218 Main Event Title Fight with Max Holloway

Frankie Edgar's Cinderella Man storyline was one of the most interesting parts of the UFC 218 card. Unfortunately, the event will have to plug on without him with the news that Edgar has withdrawn fr read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Matt Brown survives near finish, devastates Diego Sanchez

It didn’t go as long as some might have hoped, but it delivered everything one might expect, as Matt Brown was almost finished but came back to score a first-round knockout of Diego Sanchez.Filed und read news >>

Colby Covington, Fabricio Werdum get into ugly altercation outside UFC-Sydney hotel

Colby Covington crossed paths with Fabricio Werdum, and the result was an expletive-filled altercation with at least one homophobic slur caught on video.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Randy Brown derailed hype train of 'privileged little kid' Mickey Gall at UFC 217

Randy Brown didn’t expect to be booed in his hometown of New York, especially against a guy from New Jersey.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 217's Ovince Saint Preux simply wanted Ilir Latifi to know he didn't forget callout

Resurgent UFC light heavyweight Ovince Saint Preux didn’t call out Ilir Latifi, all appearances to the contrary.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>