#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Holly Holm #Fight Night Rotterdam #Demetrious Johnson #Anderson Silva

Frankie Edgar UFC 144Frankie Edgar will be making his new home at 145 pounds, but that doesn’t necessarily mean his time in the lightweight division is finished.

The former UFC champion opted to drop down to featherweight following a loss to Benson Henderson at UFC 150 in early August; a move that many have been pushing on Edgar for years.

Throughout his career, Edgar has been one of the smallest competitors fighting at 155 pounds, but that didn’t stop him from winning and holding onto the UFC lightweight title for almost two years. Still, following a discouraging second loss to Henderson earlier this month, Edgar says it was the right time to test the waters at 145 pounds.

“I think it was just the timing of everything. Obviously the fight didn’t go my way, the two fights, and maybe just a new landscape; it’s something different down there. Not saying that I’ll never got back to 155,” Edgar told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I think big fights definitely interest me whatever weight class they’re at, so maybe in the future who knows where else I could go, but it’s just something I want to try for now.”

Edgar looks at this move as just another chapter in his career, but by no means is it the end of the book. The drop to 145 pounds is right for now, but Edgar is all about challenges and some of those might lead him back to the lightweight division.

“It’s just another stage to my career. I’m just trying to make the best of it I guess. I’m not cemented anywhere. You’ve got a guy like Dan Henderson who would fight 185 sometimes, 205 sometimes; if I could be that guy, that would be interesting too,” said Edgar.

“There are good guys at 55, good guys at 45; I know fans are definitely interested in some fights. So there’s plenty of match-ups possible.”

For the immediate future, Edgar is ready to test himself with the best featherweights in the UFC, and he’s hoping to get back in action by December.

“Whoever it is they’d like me to fight to get the No. 1 contender’s spot, then let it be that. I’m sure they’re going to throw me in there with a solid name,” Edgar commented.

The longterm goal for Edgar is to finally face reigning champion Jose Aldo for the UFC featherweight title, but he’s not skipping ahead just yet. He wants to establish himself in the division first, and then gun for another title to add to his resume.

“I always want to challenge myself and push myself to the limit,” said Edgar. “Being in the weight classes that I’m in there’s always going to be good guys and good champions.”

For more news and rumors make sure to like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook.

Galleries

Dan Henderson Fights

• a year ago

Frankie Edgar Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Conor McGregor Could Address US Congress over MMA Fighters' Rights

After making his boxing debut, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor may appear before the United States Congress in an effort to expand the protection of rights afforded to mixed martial arts figh read news >>

Rankings: Rockhold, Hall, Usman & Perry Rise

In this week's official UFC rankings release, Luke Rockhold and Uriah Hall are making moves in the middleweight division. Plus, Kamaru Usman and Mike Perry are on the rise at welterweight. read news >>

Frank Shamrock Replaces Dan Henderson Against Kazushi Sakuraba in Japan | MMAWeekly.com

Frank Shamrock replaces Dan Henderson against Kazushi Sakuraba at a RIZIN FF event in Japan. read news >>

Michael Bisping to GSP: 'I'm Gonna Really Enjoy Making You Quit' | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping has talked often about making the biggest payday of his career when he faces Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217 but the money he makes won't count for much if he doesn't walk out with the m read news >>

Demtrious Johnson Roasts Kevin Lee on Making Weight: 'I Had Oreos!' | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of Karyn Bryant) UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson and interim lightweight title contender Kevin Lee were in Los Angeles on Monday for a media luncheon to promote their respective f read news >>

Report: UFC champ Max Holloway faces Frankie Edgar in UFC 218 headliner

Hawaii meets New Jersey in Detroit.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Max Holloway Faces Frankie Edgar in Main Event at UFC 218 in Detroit | MMAWeekly.com

The featherweight title will go up for grabs in the main event at UFC 218 as Max Holloway faces off with Frankie Edgar on Dec. 2 in Detroit. UFC officials confirmed the fight to ESPN on Tuesday. The read news >>

Kevin Lee initially misses weight for UFC 216, allotted 1 hour to lose 1 pound

Kevin Lee weighed in at 156 pounds on his first try.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 weigh-in update

After weighing in at 156 pounds on Friday for his interim UFC lightweight title fight against Tony Ferguson, Kevin Lee will have one hour to make the championship weight of 155 pounds, per Nevada read news >>

Everyone is making fun of Daniel Cormier's struggle with an audio cord

As if Daniel Cormier doesn’t have a hard enough job as the UFC light heavyweight champion. The broadcast booth also presented some challenges. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>