#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Bellator 183 #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Teruto Ishihara

It was common knowledge that once Frankie Edgar dropped down to the featherweight division, a title shot would likely come peeking around the corner in pretty short fashion.

It turned out he got the shot even quicker than anticipated when Erik Koch suffered a training injury and it forced him out of his scheduled bout against UFC champion Jose Aldo at UFC 153 in October.

With five weeks training time to go, Edgar got the call and while he did talk to his coaches and manager just to make sure everybody was on board, there was zero chance he was saying no to the opportunity.

“To be honest, in my head I said yes right away. I just wanted to call my team and talk to them about it, more of a respect of my coaches type situation, but I don’t think anybody could have talked me out of it at any point,” Edgar told MMAWeekly Radio.

“In my mind, I had already made up the fact that I wanted to fight this fight.”

While the situations are absolutely different, there are still comparisons being made between Edgar’s decision to say yes and UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones’ recent decision to say no to a short-notice fight.

In Jones’ case, he was asked to change opponents on eight days notice, but right or wrong, he’s been vilified for his decision to turn down the chance to still compete at UFC 151. In Edgar’s case, he’s taking a fight on approximately five weeks notice, but he is just three weeks removed from a five-round title fight. He’s also competing at a new weight class, but still, there was no chance he wasn’t stepping up when the UFC came calling.

“I’m not trying to compare myself to anyone else, I just know my situation. It was easy to say yes. I fought less than three weeks ago when I got the call, injury free fight. I was already back in the gym a little bit, so it was just an opportunity you can’t let slip,” Edgar stated.

“I feel I’m a company guy. When they ask me to do stuff, I’m usually on board with them. So nothing changes this time around. Let’s not get this twisted, this is definitely a good opportunity for me. It’s not like I’m doing them such a favor. Them offering me this is good on my part as well.”

Edgar now gets the chance to fight for the UFC featherweight title just over two months after competing for the UFC lightweight title. He will be the first fight to accomplish that feat, and he’ll try to also become the first fighter to hand Jose Aldo a loss inside the Octagon.

To hear the full interview with Frankie Edgar, check out Monday’s edition of MMAWeekly Radio.

Galleries

Jose Aldo Fights

• a year ago

Frankie Edgar Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Jose Aldo: No moral victory for Conor McGregor in TKO loss to Floyd Mayweather

Jose Aldo says he didn’t even watch “The Money Fight” but wasn’t surprised – or impressed – when he heard about how it ended.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Johnson Dropping to Featherweight, Wants to Face Jose Aldo | MMAWeekly.com

Ninth-ranked lightweight Michael Johnson wants to drop down to the featherweight division to take on 'new face,' and wants to fight former champion Jose Aldo. read news >>

Jose Aldo and head coach Andre Pederneiras weigh ex-UFC champ's future options

Former featherweight champion Jose Aldo wants to fulfill a lifelong dream of fighting at Madison Square Garden. That could happen at UFC 217 – but he needs a dance partner first.Filed under: Featured read news >>

UFC's Michael Johnson explains move to featherweight, wanting to fight Jose Aldo first

Michael Johnson already has named his first featherweight target in ex-champ Jose Aldo, but he’ll take others as long as they’re big enough to justify the 10-pound drop.Filed under: Featured, News, U read news >>

This PRIDE-tastic edit of Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor will give you nostalgia chills

Behold, the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor edit that you didn’t know you needed, which also makes you realize how well this fight would have fit in with the overall aesthetic of Japan’s now defu read news >>

UFC 215 results: Kajan Johnson right hand stuns Adriano Martins

Following nearly two years away from the cage, Kajan Johnson didn’t exactly impress for two rounds but eventually scored a highlight-reel finish of Adriano Martins.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jeremy Stephens would love to fight Jose Aldo – just not in November (and understandably so)

UFC 215’s Jeremy Stephens would love to fight ex-champ Jose Aldo – just not in November. He’s already pushed back his wedding.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

DWCS winner Zu Anyanwu gets short-notice fill-in spot at Saturday's UFC Fight Night 116

Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 116 main card has a late change.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

A breakdown of Mayweather vs. McGregor ticket sales revenue

The hottest ticket for “The Money Fight” was $5,000, although it didn’t necessarily sell at that price.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Gregor Gillespie taps out Jason Gonzalez in absolute barnburner

Gregor Gillespie kept his career record perfect, but Jason Gonzalez didn’t make it easy.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>