It was common knowledge that once Frankie Edgar dropped down to the featherweight division, a title shot would likely come peeking around the corner in pretty short fashion.

It turned out he got the shot even quicker than anticipated when Erik Koch suffered a training injury and it forced him out of his scheduled bout against UFC champion Jose Aldo at UFC 153 in October.

With five weeks training time to go, Edgar got the call and while he did talk to his coaches and manager just to make sure everybody was on board, there was zero chance he was saying no to the opportunity.

“To be honest, in my head I said yes right away. I just wanted to call my team and talk to them about it, more of a respect of my coaches type situation, but I don’t think anybody could have talked me out of it at any point,” Edgar told MMAWeekly Radio.

“In my mind, I had already made up the fact that I wanted to fight this fight.”

While the situations are absolutely different, there are still comparisons being made between Edgar’s decision to say yes and UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones’ recent decision to say no to a short-notice fight.

In Jones’ case, he was asked to change opponents on eight days notice, but right or wrong, he’s been vilified for his decision to turn down the chance to still compete at UFC 151. In Edgar’s case, he’s taking a fight on approximately five weeks notice, but he is just three weeks removed from a five-round title fight. He’s also competing at a new weight class, but still, there was no chance he wasn’t stepping up when the UFC came calling.

“I’m not trying to compare myself to anyone else, I just know my situation. It was easy to say yes. I fought less than three weeks ago when I got the call, injury free fight. I was already back in the gym a little bit, so it was just an opportunity you can’t let slip,” Edgar stated.

“I feel I’m a company guy. When they ask me to do stuff, I’m usually on board with them. So nothing changes this time around. Let’s not get this twisted, this is definitely a good opportunity for me. It’s not like I’m doing them such a favor. Them offering me this is good on my part as well.”

Edgar now gets the chance to fight for the UFC featherweight title just over two months after competing for the UFC lightweight title. He will be the first fight to accomplish that feat, and he’ll try to also become the first fighter to hand Jose Aldo a loss inside the Octagon.

To hear the full interview with Frankie Edgar, check out Monday’s edition of MMAWeekly Radio.

Dominick Cruz dismisses Raphael Assuncao's callout, says next fight will be for UFC belt

Dominick Cruz didn’t get an immediate rematch after he lost the UFC bantamweight title to Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207 in December. However, if the former champ is to be believed, his next fight will st read news >>

Amanda Nunes offers apology to Ronda Rousey for post-fight UFC 207 comments

Amanda Nunes didn’t mince many words after she tore through Ronda Rousey in December to defend the UFC women’s bantamweight title. But now she’s walking some of them back a little.Filed under: News, read news >>

Conor McGregor Has No Chance vs. Floyd Mayweather, Says Jose Aldo

Add UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo to the growing list of athletes who don't believe MMA sensation Conor McGregor would have much of a chance if he took on retired five-division world champion read news >>

On 10-year UFC anniversary, what does Frankie Edgar remember, regret and wish he could do again?

Ten years after his UFC debut, former champ Frankie Edgar wishes he could back and do it all again. "I just think that the longer the sport goes, the better it's going to get for the athletes," the f read news >>

Coach Pederneiras on Tony Ferguson's refusal to fight Jose Aldo: 'When we offered it, he ran'

Nova Uniao head coach Andre Pederneiras says there are still ongoing negotiations with the UFC about featherweight champ Jose Aldo’s possible lightweight run.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Mike Jackson to CM Punk: 'Let's see who the real can is'

Mike Jackson didn’t show up to this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 event to push a fight with Phil “CM Punk” Brooks. He was just there to work.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Could Former UFC Champ Frankie Edgar Be Latest to Test Out Free Agency?

Frankie Edgar is a little fed up. That's not a new stance from the popular former UFC champion. But he's not backing off it, either, and with his UFC contract set to expire, it could be causing Edgar read news >>

Dana White Declares Jose Aldo vs. Max Holloway a Done Deal | MMAWeekly.com

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo will make the first defense of his belt when he squares off with interim titleholder Max Holloway. read news >>

Reports: Jose Aldo vs. Max Holloway featherweight title unification fight planned for UFC 212 in Brazil

Max Holloway has been wanting to know “Where’s Jose ‘Waldo’?” The answer appears to be that he can find him in a few months in Brazil. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Holly Holm Sees a Rematch with Germaine de Randamie as 'Warranted' | MMAWeekly.com

Holly Holm’s evening at UFC 208 didn’t end like she wanted. She thought she won a five-round fight and would be crowned featherweight champion. read news >>