While Frankie Edgar now knows that he will be facing Benson Henderson later this year for the chance to recapture the UFC lightweight title, his mood wasn’t always so jovial.

Just moments after losing his belt to Henderson at UFC 144 in Japan, UFC commentator Joe Rogan immediately asked him about a potential drop to 145 pounds.

A little while later, at the UFC 144 post-fight press conference, reporters in turn hounded Edgar about a potential move down to the featherweight division.

With a 14-2-1 record overall, all while competing in the lightweight division, in that moment Edgar wasn’t mad that the questions about him dropping to featherweight kept coming in, but he just didn’t understand why.

“At the time I was just so upset I just lost my title and everything, I don’t think I was even thinking about what anybody was really asking,” Edgar said on MMAWeekly Radio.

“In hindsight, I guess you could say I don’t know if you’d call it disrespectful, people have got a job to do, and (dropping to 145) is something that Dana was kind of hinting to, so I think the media was just following suit a little bit.”

Over the past several years, Edgar has picked up wins over names like B.J. Penn twice, Gray Maynard, Sean Sherk, and Jim Miller, who most believe are still the best of the best in the lightweight division. Not to mention he just lost a very close decision to Benson Henderson, in a fight many scored him winning.

So when it came down to questions about his move to featherweight, Edgar didn’t take offense, but he actually felt like it was a slap in the face to some of his past opponents.

“I’ve been so dominant at this weight class, I beat some very good guys, and I don’t feel it’s disrespectful towards me, I feel it’s disrespectful towards them,” Edgar stated. “It is what it is.”

Will Edgar ever decide to move down to featherweight?

The possibility will always be there, but with his rematch with Benson Henderson looming overhead for later this year, Frankie Edgar is looking to be the best lightweight in the world and featherweight is in his rear view mirror for now.

Earning another chance to get his belt back, that’s all Edgar wanted, and if he had to endure some talk about dropping down to 145 pounds to get there, it was all worth it.

“I’m just super fortunate to have the team that I have and the management that I have,” Edgar said. “And the support from the fans and everyone else to really have my back and get me this shot.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Bellator 170 medical suspensions: Christian Gonzalez gets indefinite term – for stab wound

Several fighters were given lengthy medical suspensions following this past Saturday’s Bellator 170 event in California – including what may be a fighting first.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Andrei Arlovski wasn't aiming for Francis Ngannou but isn't in business of picking opponents

DENVER – You get the sense UFC heavyweight Andrei Arlovski didn’t exactly want to fight Francis Ngannou. After all, a young, up-and-coming prospect offers little upside for a former champion fighting read news >>

Conor McGregor Comments on Floyd Mayweather, UFC, More in Manchester Interview

Conor McGregor is never shy about saying what's on his mind, and that continued in an interview with Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting. The 28-year-old UFC champion discussed a variety of topics Saturday read news >>

UFC on Fox 23 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into Fight Night 104

UFC on Fox 23 is in the books. The results are as follows: Main Card Valentina Shevchenko def. Julianna Pena via second-round submission Jorge Masvidal def. Donald Cerrone via second-round TKO Franci read news >>

Relive Jorge Masvidal's Backyard Fights vs. Kimbo Slice's Protege

This past Saturday at UFC on Fox 23, Jorge Masvidal put on the most impressive performance of his 14-year professional MMA career. His opponent, Donald Cerrone, had been knocked out only twice in his read news >>

Dana White promises extra cash for UFC on FOX 23's unofficial 'Fight of the Night'

At this past Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event, the night’s four main-card winners were all deservedly presented with $50,000 “Performance of the Night” bonuses. But a pair of welterweights will also be read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Jan. 31: Shevchenko-Pena flip-flop, Masvidal makes big leap

This past Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event in Denver saw some shifts in the balance of a couple divisions. Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Fresh off 'Cowboy' win, Jorge Masvidal getting punny with calls for top-ranked opponents

It’s hard to get noticed, and it’s even hard to stay noticed as a UFC welterweight contender. So Jorge Masvidal is making the most of it – with some MMA-inspired puns.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Mind the Glap: One Man's Love Affair with the Thai Spinning Elbow | FIGHTLAND

Photo courtesy of the author "Mind the Gap" is an audio and visual warning on the London Underground subway system urging passengers to be cautious when crossing the horizontal spatial gap between tr read news >>