#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Saturday Night Fights #Conor McGregor #David Branch #GGG #Nate Diaz #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping #DWTNCS

While Frankie Edgar now knows that he will be facing Benson Henderson later this year for the chance to recapture the UFC lightweight title, his mood wasn’t always so jovial.

Just moments after losing his belt to Henderson at UFC 144 in Japan, UFC commentator Joe Rogan immediately asked him about a potential drop to 145 pounds.

A little while later, at the UFC 144 post-fight press conference, reporters in turn hounded Edgar about a potential move down to the featherweight division.

With a 14-2-1 record overall, all while competing in the lightweight division, in that moment Edgar wasn’t mad that the questions about him dropping to featherweight kept coming in, but he just didn’t understand why.

“At the time I was just so upset I just lost my title and everything, I don’t think I was even thinking about what anybody was really asking,” Edgar said on MMAWeekly Radio.

“In hindsight, I guess you could say I don’t know if you’d call it disrespectful, people have got a job to do, and (dropping to 145) is something that Dana was kind of hinting to, so I think the media was just following suit a little bit.”

Over the past several years, Edgar has picked up wins over names like B.J. Penn twice, Gray Maynard, Sean Sherk, and Jim Miller, who most believe are still the best of the best in the lightweight division. Not to mention he just lost a very close decision to Benson Henderson, in a fight many scored him winning.

So when it came down to questions about his move to featherweight, Edgar didn’t take offense, but he actually felt like it was a slap in the face to some of his past opponents.

“I’ve been so dominant at this weight class, I beat some very good guys, and I don’t feel it’s disrespectful towards me, I feel it’s disrespectful towards them,” Edgar stated. “It is what it is.”

Will Edgar ever decide to move down to featherweight?

The possibility will always be there, but with his rematch with Benson Henderson looming overhead for later this year, Frankie Edgar is looking to be the best lightweight in the world and featherweight is in his rear view mirror for now.

Earning another chance to get his belt back, that’s all Edgar wanted, and if he had to endure some talk about dropping down to 145 pounds to get there, it was all worth it.

“I’m just super fortunate to have the team that I have and the management that I have,” Edgar said. “And the support from the fans and everyone else to really have my back and get me this shot.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Galleries

Frankie Edgar Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Beating Johnson not an upset in Borg's mind

Ray Borg doesn’t need any reminders from the past to let him know what he’s going up against on Saturday, because, to him, beating Demetrious Johnson wouldn’t be an upset. read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio off today, but here's how to catch up on past episodes

MMAjunkie Radio is off today for an MMA-themed trip to visit U.S. troops but will return later this month. Now is the perfect time to download and catch up on past episodes.Filed under: News read news >>

Valentino Shevchenko Believes Blown Weight Cut Forced Amanda Nunes' Withdrawal at UFC 213 | MMAWeekly.com

In her comments to MMAWeekly.com leading up to UFC 215, Valentina Shevchenko cast a long shadow of doubt over Amanda Nunes' excuse for withdrawing from UFC 213. read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos wants title shot, promises not to let champ Tyron Woodley 'walk around'

Rafael dos Anjos believes his UFC 215 submission of Neil Magny should get him the next welterweight title shot vs. Tyron Woodley.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Hurricane Irma on UFC 215 winner Ilir Latifi's mind: 'Half of my team, my trainers have families in Miami'

Ilir Latifi is not oblivious to sacrifices made by his team to be by his side while their Miami homes were threatened: “You feel bad for them. They’re over here, and they’re watching the news all the read news >>

UFC 215's Alex White doesn't mind Mitch Clarke stole a little of his thunder

UFC 215’s Alex White can’t bring himself to be too mad that opponent Mitch Clarke stole some of his thunder by retiring. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio is on vacation this week, but now's the time to catch up on past episodes

MMAjunkie Radio is off this week following an MMA-themed trip to visit U.S. troops but will return next week.Filed under: News read news >>

Reminder: MMAjunkie Radio on vacation this week, but catch up on past episodes now

Michael Bisping: Jon Jones deserves lifetime ban from MMA after 2nd failed drug test

Michael Bisping believes Jon Jones should serve the ultimate punishment for his second failed drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>