#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #UFC Fight Night 120

LAS VEGAS – Francis Ngannou attempted to save the day at UFC 216, but unfortunately an unanswered phone call prevented that from happening.

Ngannou (10-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) said he had a gut feeling something would happen to derail tonight’s UFC 216 heavyweight bout between Fabricio Werdum (21-7-1 MMA, 9-4 UFC) and Derrick Lewis (18-5 MMA, 9-3 UFC). The worst happened just minutes before the event was scheduled to begin, when news broke Lewis’ lingering back issues would prevent him from competing.

Ultimately the UFC managed to cobble together a scenario that saw Walt Harris moved up from the undercard into the matchup with Werdum, but Ngannou said he wanted that spot.

“It’s a good matchup. Definitely this is a good matchup that I would never dodge it,” Ngannou said backstage. “I knew I was going to fight Alistair Overeem one day. I’ve been waiting for this fight and got ready for it since a long time ago.

“I got no answer, but I called when I saw the news. I tried to contact the matchmaker (Mick Maynard). He was busy. If I call, and he picks up, I say, ‘OK, I’m ready for him.’ … Honestly I would take the fight. I’ve been preparing for this, maybe something was going to happen between Werdum and Lewis. I’ve been preparing for this in case somebody pull out of this fight. I feel like something was going to happen. I got ready for it. … It was last minute, there was no way to change with the commissions.”

UFC 216 took place at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The main card aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and UFC Fight Pass.

Ngannou hasn’t fought since a knockout of Andrei Arlovski at UFC on FOX 22 in January. He’s been eager to get back in the octagon since, especially after his planned UFC 215 matchup with Junior Dos Santos was called off just weeks prior to the September event.

“The Predator” said he would have stepped in on fight day at UFC 216 if red tape from the commission wouldn’t have made it impossible, but fortunately, Ngannou still has a massive fight ahead of him.

Ngannou is scheduled to meet Overeem (43-15 MMA, 8-4 UFC) in December’s UFC 218 co-main event. If he were to win, he would be on a divisional-best six-fight winning streak and in perfect position to challenge current heavyweight titleholder Stipe Miocic (17-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC). Although he hasn’t been promised a title shot with a win against Overeem, there’s no doubt from Ngannou that it’s going to happen.

“I think after the fight there is no way to deny me the title shot,” Ngannou said. “I’m sure I’ll beat Alistair and get a title shot. I still haven’t fought the champion. There’s no way not to give me the title shot after this fight.”

For complete coverage of UFC 216, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Fabricio Werdum Fights

• a year ago

Derrick Lewis Fights

• 11 months ago

Comments

Referee Marc Goddard orders Conor McGregor to back off during Artem Lobov's fight at UFC-Gdansk

Conor McGregor essentially was playing cornerman for Artem Lobov at UFC Fight Night 118, but referee Marc Goddard wasn’t having it.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Did Brian Kelleher and Thomas Almeida agree to fight at UFC on FOX 26?

Brian Kelleher wants to fight a fourth time before the year is over and might’ve found a willing opponent in Thomas Almeida.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Kamaru Usman Books His Next Fight at UFC 219 in December | MMAWeekly.com

Rising welterweight contender Kamaru Usman has been itching for a chance to face a top 10 opponent but unfortunately nobody seems to be available before the end of the year. Of course, Usman is never read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Officially Booked for Return Fight at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

Though he's still not back in the thick of a title shot, Khabib Nurmagomedov is finally slated to get his first UFC fight of 2017. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum not so sure Alistair Overeem-Francis Ngannou winner deserves UFC title shot

Fabricio Werdum makes his case for why he deserves the next shot at Stipe Miocic with a win at UFC-Sydney.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Marcin Tybura Wants Title Shot With a Win Over Fabricio Werdum | MMAWeekly.com

Marcin Tybura wants a title shot if he gets past Fabricio Werdum at UFC Fight Night 121 in Australia. read news >>

Cris Cyborg, Holly Holm Will Fight at UFC 219, Likely to Be Main Event

Holly Holm will take on Cris "Cyborg" Justino at UFC 219, according to Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times. Cyborg will defend her recently acquired women's featherweight title in what will likely read news >>

Who ya got?! Fighters weigh in on Fabricio Werdum vs. Marcin Tybura at UFC-Sydney

• a day ago

Who are fighters at UFC-Sydney picking in the main event between Fabricio Werdum and Marcin Tybura? Find out inside.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Fabricio Werdum's dominant win over Marcin Tybura at UFC Fight Night 121

• 10 hours ago

See the top Twitter reactions to Fabricio Werdum’s win over Marcin Tybura in the UFC Fight Night 121 main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 121 Results: Fabricio Werdum Beats Marcin Tybura by Decision

• 11 hours ago

UFC made its return to Australia on Saturday night with a Fight Night show that saw Fabricio Werdum defeat Marcin Tybura by unanimous decision in the main event. Werdum was a replacement on the Sydne read news >>