#LFA 36 #Conor McGregor #Daniel Cormier #Christian Aguilera #Ricardo Seixas #Alain Ngalani #AXS TV Fights #Iron Will #Alistair Overeem #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Miesha Tate #TJ Dillashaw #Garry Tonon #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night London

Francis Ngannou was willing to fight Fabricio Werdum last minute after Derrick Lewis withdrew

LAS VEGAS – Francis Ngannou attempted to save the day at UFC 216, but unfortunately an unanswered phone call prevented that from happening.

Ngannou (10-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) said he had a gut feeling something would happen to derail tonight’s UFC 216 heavyweight bout between Fabricio Werdum (21-7-1 MMA, 9-4 UFC) and Derrick Lewis (18-5 MMA, 9-3 UFC). The worst happened just minutes before the event was scheduled to begin, when news broke Lewis’ lingering back issues would prevent him from competing.

Ultimately the UFC managed to cobble together a scenario that saw Walt Harris moved up from the undercard into the matchup with Werdum, but Ngannou said he wanted that spot.

“It’s a good matchup. Definitely this is a good matchup that I would never dodge it,” Ngannou said backstage. “I knew I was going to fight Alistair Overeem one day. I’ve been waiting for this fight and got ready for it since a long time ago.

“I got no answer, but I called when I saw the news. I tried to contact the matchmaker (Mick Maynard). He was busy. If I call, and he picks up, I say, ‘OK, I’m ready for him.’ … Honestly I would take the fight. I’ve been preparing for this, maybe something was going to happen between Werdum and Lewis. I’ve been preparing for this in case somebody pull out of this fight. I feel like something was going to happen. I got ready for it. … It was last minute, there was no way to change with the commissions.”

UFC 216 took place at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The main card aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and UFC Fight Pass.

Ngannou hasn’t fought since a knockout of Andrei Arlovski at UFC on FOX 22 in January. He’s been eager to get back in the octagon since, especially after his planned UFC 215 matchup with Junior Dos Santos was called off just weeks prior to the September event.

“The Predator” said he would have stepped in on fight day at UFC 216 if red tape from the commission wouldn’t have made it impossible, but fortunately, Ngannou still has a massive fight ahead of him.

Ngannou is scheduled to meet Overeem (43-15 MMA, 8-4 UFC) in December’s UFC 218 co-main event. If he were to win, he would be on a divisional-best six-fight winning streak and in perfect position to challenge current heavyweight titleholder Stipe Miocic (17-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC). Although he hasn’t been promised a title shot with a win against Overeem, there’s no doubt from Ngannou that it’s going to happen.

“I think after the fight there is no way to deny me the title shot,” Ngannou said. “I’m sure I’ll beat Alistair and get a title shot. I still haven’t fought the champion. There’s no way not to give me the title shot after this fight.”

For complete coverage of UFC 216, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Fabricio Werdum Fights

• a year ago

Francis Ngannou Fights

• 3 months ago

Derrick Lewis Fights

• a year ago

Cris Cyborg Explains Why She Decided to Save the Day and Fight at UFC 222 | MMAWeekly.com

Cris Cyborg details the reasons behind stepping up on short notice to fill a main event slot at UFC 222 in Las Vegas read news >>

UFC 222's Jordan Johnson won? He didn't sound like it afterward

If you hadn’t seen Jordan Johnson’s fight at UFC 222 and then walked backstage, you might’ve thought he lost based on his demeanor. read news >>

Andrei Arlovski Would Love to Fight at UFC 225 in Chicago | MMAWeekly.com

Veteran heavyweight Andrei Arlovski tied a heavyweight record at UFC 222. Now he wants to fight on his home turf at UFC 225 in Chicago. read news >>

CM Punk Confirms He Will Fight at UFC 225 in His Hometown of Chicago

Although CM Punk's UFC debut didn't go as planned, he is set to return to the Octagon. In response to a user on Twitter on Monday, the former WWE star confirmed his next match will be June 9: As TMZ read news >>

Mackenzie Dern Set for Quick Turnaround, Will Fight at UFC 224 in Rio

One of the UFC's best prospects is not wasting time getting back inside of the eight-sided steel structure as Mackenzie Dern is set to return at UFC 224 in Brazil. As first reported by MMABrasil.com read news >>

Alexander Volkov realizes stakes high vs. friend Fabricio Werdum at UFC-London

For Alexander Volkov, UFC-London represents an opportunity to catapult himself from heavyweight prospect to bona-fide contender. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum: 'I Don't Think Alexander Volkov is a Very Complete Fighter' | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) On Saturday, at The O2 Arena in London, England, former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum hopes to secure a chance to fight for the title once again when he faces top ten ranked read news >>

Twitter reacts to Alexander Volkov's KO of Fabricio Werdum at UFC Fight Night 127

See the top Twitter reactions to Alexander Volkov’s knockout of Fabricio Werdum in the UFC Fight Night 127 main event. read news >>

Alexander Volkov: 'This Was the Biggest Win of My Career' | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) Alexander Volkov knew that fighting Fabricio Werdum at UFC Fight Night 127 on Saturday in London wasn't going to be an easy fight, and it wasn't. Aside from Werdum being a former UF read news >>

Francis Ngannou Wants Derrick Lewis As His Next Opponent in the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Francis Ngannou is looking for a fight. Following a disappointing outing in his first shot at the UFC title back in January, Ngannou took some time off to recover and reflect before booking his next read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Issues Unwavering Statement Following Knockout Loss | MMAWeekly.com

Following Fabricio Werdum's disappointing knockout loss to Alexander Volkov at UFC Fight Night 127 on Saturday in London, the former UFC heavyweight champion was unwavering in issuing a statement. read news >>

'Sad' Fabricio Werdum releases statement after UFC Fight Night 127 KO loss

Fabricio Werdum is naturally disappointed with his knockout loss to Alexander Volkov in Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 127 headliner. read news >>

Derrick Lewis responds to Francis Ngannou's challenge: 'It's about time'

Derrick Lewis may be vacationing in Jamaica, but he still found time to reply to Francis Ngannou’s challenge. read news >>

Francis Ngannou Wants to Welcome Brock Lesnar Back to the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Heavyweight contender and former title challenger Francis Ngannou is back in the gym training and eyeing a summer return to the octagon. read news >>

UFC Heavyweight Francis Ngannou Tells Brock Lesnar 'Give Me That F--king Fight'

With WrestleMania 34 just a few weeks away and Brock Lesnar's contract potentially set to run out shortly thereafter, many are wondering if a return to the UFC could be in the works. Given Lesnar's i read news >>

Daily Debate: Who should Darren Till face at UFC Fight Night 130 in Liverpool?

Darren Till seemingly has a number of viable options for his hometown UFC-Liverpool headliner, so who makes the most sense? read news >>

Search for: