#UFC Fight Night 124 #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Francis Ngannou #Jeremy Stephens #Doo Ho Choi #UFC 219 #UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Paige VanZant #UFC 217

LAS VEGAS – Francis Ngannou attempted to save the day at UFC 216, but unfortunately an unanswered phone call prevented that from happening.

Ngannou (10-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) said he had a gut feeling something would happen to derail tonight’s UFC 216 heavyweight bout between Fabricio Werdum (21-7-1 MMA, 9-4 UFC) and Derrick Lewis (18-5 MMA, 9-3 UFC). The worst happened just minutes before the event was scheduled to begin, when news broke Lewis’ lingering back issues would prevent him from competing.

Ultimately the UFC managed to cobble together a scenario that saw Walt Harris moved up from the undercard into the matchup with Werdum, but Ngannou said he wanted that spot.

“It’s a good matchup. Definitely this is a good matchup that I would never dodge it,” Ngannou said backstage. “I knew I was going to fight Alistair Overeem one day. I’ve been waiting for this fight and got ready for it since a long time ago.

“I got no answer, but I called when I saw the news. I tried to contact the matchmaker (Mick Maynard). He was busy. If I call, and he picks up, I say, ‘OK, I’m ready for him.’ … Honestly I would take the fight. I’ve been preparing for this, maybe something was going to happen between Werdum and Lewis. I’ve been preparing for this in case somebody pull out of this fight. I feel like something was going to happen. I got ready for it. … It was last minute, there was no way to change with the commissions.”

UFC 216 took place at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The main card aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and UFC Fight Pass.

Ngannou hasn’t fought since a knockout of Andrei Arlovski at UFC on FOX 22 in January. He’s been eager to get back in the octagon since, especially after his planned UFC 215 matchup with Junior Dos Santos was called off just weeks prior to the September event.

“The Predator” said he would have stepped in on fight day at UFC 216 if red tape from the commission wouldn’t have made it impossible, but fortunately, Ngannou still has a massive fight ahead of him.

Ngannou is scheduled to meet Overeem (43-15 MMA, 8-4 UFC) in December’s UFC 218 co-main event. If he were to win, he would be on a divisional-best six-fight winning streak and in perfect position to challenge current heavyweight titleholder Stipe Miocic (17-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC). Although he hasn’t been promised a title shot with a win against Overeem, there’s no doubt from Ngannou that it’s going to happen.

“I think after the fight there is no way to deny me the title shot,” Ngannou said. “I’m sure I’ll beat Alistair and get a title shot. I still haven’t fought the champion. There’s no way not to give me the title shot after this fight.”

For complete coverage of UFC 216, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Fabricio Werdum Fights

• a year ago

Francis Ngannou Fights

• a month ago

Derrick Lewis Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Returning from Botched Bout, Derrick Lewis to Fight at UFC Austin | MMAWeekly.com

After failing to make it to the Octagon on the day of his most recently scheduled fight, Derrick Lewis will try to get back in the cage at UFC Austin. read news >>

After Menga cancellation, Tim Elliott says he's fighting newcomer Mark De La Rosa at UFC 219

Tim Elliott had his fight at UFC on FOX 26 yanked out from under him this past weekend, but now it appears he’ll close out 2017 with a bout.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Royce Gracie Family Conflict: Who Didn't Want Him to Fight at UFC 1? | MMAWeekly.com

Royce Gracie spoke about the conflict within his family and who didn't want him to fight at UFC 1. The rest is history. read news >>

Stipe Miocic and Francis Ngannou Get Feisty at UFC 220 Press Conference (Replay)

Ahead of their UFC 220 showdowns, the four athletes competing in championship bouts fielded questions from the media on Friday in Las Vegas. read news >>

Curtis Blaydes feels 'recognized' thanks to Mark Hunt matchup at UFC 221

UFC 221’s Curtis Blaydes requested to fight Marcin Tybura, Derrick Lewis, or Alexander Volkov. Instead, he felt “recognized” to get Mark Hunt. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir Pleads Not Guilty in Felony Battery Case, Will Still Compete at UFC 220 | MMAWeekly.com

Volkan Oezdemir will still be allowed to fight at UFC 220 despite pending assault charges in Florida read news >>

Watch Stipe Miocic Lower the Boom on Fabricio Werdum in UFC Knockout of the Week | MMAWeekly.com

Before he faces Francis Ngannou, check out Stipe Miocic's stunning knockout of Fabricio Werdum in front of a stunned crowd in Curitiba, Brazil. read news >>

Francis Ngannou Is Getting a Huge Payday for Fighting Stipe Miocic at UFC 220 | MMAWeekly.com

Francis Ngannou is making a lot of money for his first title fight at UFC 220 read news >>

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannou at UFC 220

• 19 hours ago

Go inside the UFC 220 heavyweight title main event with broadcasters Dan Hardy and John Gooden ahead of Saturday’s headliner in Boston. read news >>

Stipe Miocic on Facebook Live

• a day ago

Ahead of his main event title defense against Francis Ngannou at UFC 220, champ Stipe Miocic took a few minutes to answer your questions on Facebook Live. read news >>