#UFC Fight Night 55 #UFC 217 #GSP #Fabricio Werdum #Michael Bisping #Marcin Tybura

tim-means-2.jpgSAN JOSE, Calif. – Four months later, Tim Means still can’t do anything but shake his head.

“Damn that sauna,” Means mumbled under his breath. “I kept having to pinch myself when I was watching the fights on TV. I was like, ‘There’s no way that happened.’ I didn’t go to watch fights. I came to get into a fight.”

Means was scheduled to face Abel Trujillo at this past December’s UFC on FOX 5 event. However, on the day of weigh-ins, Means channeled his inner Kevin Randleman and slipped in the sauna, knocking himself out in the process.

“I got my head on the back of the bench,” Means told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I hit the ground, and it knocked all my wind out. I never went out, but I had like tunnel vision. I got real fuzzy, and I was like, ‘What the f— was that?’

“I sat up, and I felt like the skin on my head was getting tight. I felt my head, and I had a big knot behind my ear. I got dizzy, and I walked outside, and I guess I kind of fell on the floor on my hands and knees. I was out of it.”

Means was taken to the hospital and quickly ruled out of the contest. It was an especially tough blow to absorb when considering the bout was originally expected to take place at the infamous UFC 151 event, which was scrapped when UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones turned down a short-notice fight with Chael Sonnen.

“With the stuff from UFC 151 and then that, I had to sit and think a little bit, but I’m not a guy that’s going to get down and get depressed about stupid things,” Means said. “I got cleared and just got right back in the gym and helped my teammates get ready for their fights and just move forward. Frustration comes with everything. You just have to deal with it.”

It’s a perspective that can only come from a man who’s dealt with struggles, and Means has dealt with more than his fair share. A very noticeable five-year break in his fighting career was due to a few stints in prison as he battled drug addiction. Now clean for more than six years, Means admits it was a character-defining journey.

“I’m not embarrassed by my past, but I’m not going to hang my head low; you can hit rock-bottom” Means said. “I’ve learned some serious lessons on who are my real friends and who’s real in my life. I had to learn from that aspect. Now I get to talk to kids in our community about the meth programs and what kind of goals to set for yourself.

“If my story helps people, cool, but I’m not going out there trying to get famous or anything like that. But I understand what it’s like to get second chances – third, fourth and fifth chances. I understand struggles, and I understand messing up.”

Means (18-3-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) returns to action at Saturday’s UFC on FOX 7 event, which takes place in San Jose, Calif. Mean fights on the evening’s FX-broadcast prelims, where he faces Strikeforce import Jorge Masvidal (23-7 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

“I’ve been watching Masvidal fight for a while,” Means said. “It’s going to be a fistfight.

“I’m not looking to stand still in my career. I’m looking to move forward, and he’s in my way. I expect a fistfight.”

Fortunately for Means, there’s just three more days to go. Barring any late-notice headlining changes or sauna mishap, Means will look to build on the strength of two UFC wins and an impressive 11-fight unbeaten streak.

Surely, lightning can’t strike twice.

“I’ve got a damn helmet,” Means joked. “I’ve got floaties. I’ve got backup for the sauna.”

For more on UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Belal Muhammad Narrowly Defeats Tim Means (UFC Sydney Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out the highlights from the welterweight bout between Belal Muhammad and Tim Means at UFC Fight Night 12 read news >>

Jake Matthews Squeaks Out Win Over Bojan Velickovic (UFC Sydney Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out the highlights from the welterweight bout between Jake Matthews and Bojan Velickovic at UFC Fight Ni read news >>

UFC Fight Night 121 results: Belal Muhammad takes split from Tim Means, calls out Colby Covington

Belal Muhammad took a split call from Tim Means for the biggest win of his career, then called out MMA’s newest villain, Colby Covington.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jessica Rose-Clark Gets Past Bec Rawlings (UFC Sydney Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out the highlights of the from the women's bout between Jessica Rose-Clark and Bec Rawlings at UFC Fight read news >>

As lawsuit looms, UFC-Sydney's Tim Means rails on shady supplement companies

Tim Means is facing two opponents heading into his latest UFC matchup: Belal Muhammad, and an entire shady industry, as he sees it.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Raphael Assuncao Sleeps Matthew Lopez (UFC Norfolk Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from Raphael Assuncao's knockout of Matthew Lopez at UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday at T read news >>

ABC head expects UFC will sanction Conor McGregor for Bellator 187 cage jump – and says he's off UFC 219

ABC head Mike Mazzulli is evaluating legal options for how to handle the cage-hopping incident involving Conor McGregor at Bellator 187.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>

They've got their wish: Ovince Saint Preux meets Ilir Latifi at UFC on FOX 27 in Charlotte

It’s a little later than he initially asked for, but Ovince Saint Preux will get his wish – which initially was a wish made by Ilir Latifi. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Nik Lentz Chokes Will Brooks Into Submission (UFC Sydney Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out the fight highlights from the lightweight bout between Nik Lentz and Will Brooks at UFC Fight Night read news >>

Ryan Benoit Scores Head-Kick KO Over Ashkan Mokhtarian (UFC Sydney Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out the fight highlights from the bout between Ryan Benoit and Ashkan Mokhtarian at UFC Fight Night 121 read news >>