#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #GGG #David Branch #DWTNCS #Conor McGregor #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping #Nate Diaz

Forrest Griffin may have sent Tito Ortiz into retirement on Saturday night, but the former light heavyweight champion did not go quietly. Both veterans expended large amounts of energy in their rubber match at UFC 148, a fact that Griffin said prevented him from trying to finish the UFC Hall of Famer in the bout's waning moments.

“He had nothing at the end of the second and third rounds, and I didn't have enough to take advantage of it. It was pretty pathetic,” Griffin told UFC.com after his unanimous decision over Ortiz in the evening's co-main event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

“With about two minutes left, he laid on the cage, and I knew he had nothing,” Griffin later told Fox Sports. “I said, 'All right. This is my time. I'm going to finish him.' You know what I did? I pressed the gas pedal, and nothing happened.”

Griffin weathered an early takedown from Ortiz and escaped to his feet, controlling the remainder of round one with his long and linear standup. “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” would respond by dropping Griffin in both rounds two and three but ultimately could not capitalize as Griffin recovered and continually landed solid shots on the Team Punishment founder..

“Those were some good knockdowns he had on me. He was hitting me with everything but the kitchen sink, but I was too tired to move out of the way. It always comes down to fatigue,” said Griffin. “The [knockdown] in the second round didn't hurt me, but that one in the third round was the real deal.”

Griffin and Ortiz first met at UFC 59, where a comparatively inexperienced Griffin was edged by the Californian in a split decision. However, the original “Ultimate Fighter” returned the favor in their 2009 rematch at UFC 106 and would again emerge victorious in Saturday's deciding contest. While it has been over six years since the two men first met, Griffin believes that the trilogy will forever link his name with Ortiz's.

“He did exactly what he does. I did exactly what I do. Tito comes out strong, takes me down and beats me up a little. Then I come back on him, and he gasses a little bit, and I take a little bit of an advantage,” said Griffin. “We had three really close fights. If you watch [the trilogy], it just feels like one long fight with the same feel to it.”

Comments

Mayweather vs. McGregor Odds: Latest Fight Lines for Money vs. Notorious

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will come out of retirement to face UFC superstar Conor McGregor in a boxing megafight in Las Vegas on Saturday. Notorious is switching fight codes and will make his professional read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Should Accept Retirement Instead of Conor McGregor Rematch

Floyd Mayweather Jr. was long heralded as the favorite to trump Conor McGregor in Saturday's boxing megafight at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, and he lived up to that billing by downing the UFC lightw read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Decision: Judges' Scorecard and Round-by-Round Stats

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will sail into his third retirement with his perfect boxing record intact. The former five-division world champion earned his 50th win in as many professional bouts with a techni read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Decision: Judges' Scorecard and Round-by-Round Stats

Floyd Mayweather Should Accept Retirement Instead of Conor McGregor Rematch

Floyd Mayweather giving his word on retirement: 'Any guy that's calling me out? Forget it'

After reaching a historic 50-0 mark, Floyd Mayweather says UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor was his last opponent.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ben Askren Faces Shinya Aoki in Retirement Fight in November | MMAWeekly.com

It appear Ben Askren's mixed martial arts career is nearly at an end. The reigning and defending ONE Championship welterweight champion will step back into the cage in November and then call it a car read news >>

ONE Championship 65 set for Nov. 24 with Angela Lee title defense, Ben Askren retirement fight

Singapore’s ONE Championship has scheduled a home game for Nov. 24, and a pair of title fights top the bill.Filed under: News read news >>

Rick Glenn Slams On The Gas Pedal

From a day job in Milwaukee to training with Team Alpha Male on the West Coast, Rick Glenn's life has been a roller coaster...and he loves it. Glenn takes on Gavin Tucker in the prelims at UFC 215. O read news >>

Expect 'sensitive thug' Gilbert Smith to shed happy tears in tonight's LFA 22 retirement fight

After announcing his retirement on “TUF 25,” Gilbert Smith felt like he needed to give his family, friends and supporters a proper goodbye. Which is why he took tonight’s LFA 22 bout in front of his read news >>