“He had nothing at the end of the second and third rounds, and I didn't have enough to take advantage of it. It was pretty pathetic,” Griffin told UFC.com after his unanimous decision over Ortiz in the evening's co-main event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
“With about two minutes left, he laid on the cage, and I knew he had nothing,” Griffin later told Fox Sports. “I said, 'All right. This is my time. I'm going to finish him.' You know what I did? I pressed the gas pedal, and nothing happened.”
Griffin weathered an early takedown from Ortiz and escaped to his feet, controlling the remainder of round one with his long and linear standup. “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” would respond by dropping Griffin in both rounds two and three but ultimately could not capitalize as Griffin recovered and continually landed solid shots on the Team Punishment founder..
“Those were some good knockdowns he had on me. He was hitting me with everything but the kitchen sink, but I was too tired to move out of the way. It always comes down to fatigue,” said Griffin. “The [knockdown] in the second round didn't hurt me, but that one in the third round was the real deal.”
Griffin and Ortiz first met at UFC 59, where a comparatively inexperienced Griffin was edged by the Californian in a split decision. However, the original “Ultimate Fighter” returned the favor in their 2009 rematch at UFC 106 and would again emerge victorious in Saturday's deciding contest. While it has been over six years since the two men first met, Griffin believes that the trilogy will forever link his name with Ortiz's.
“He did exactly what he does. I did exactly what I do. Tito comes out strong, takes me down and beats me up a little. Then I come back on him, and he gasses a little bit, and I take a little bit of an advantage,” said Griffin. “We had three really close fights. If you watch [the trilogy], it just feels like one long fight with the same feel to it.”view original article >>
UFC women’s featherweight champ Germaine de Randamie isn’t retiring, according to her manager, but she is dealing with some issues behind the scenes.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Vitor Belfort has unveiled his UFC retirement plan, putting the wraps on a career that has spanned more than two decades. read news >>
Newly signed Bellator fighter Valerie Letourneau announced her first fight with the promotion on Monday and laid our her timeline for retirement. read news >>
While the full campus isn’t quite open just yet, UFC employees recently made the move into the company’s impressive new headquarters in Las Vegas, and CNN cameras were invited in for a sneak peek of read news >>
Ryan Bader said he was far less caught off guard than most by the surprise retirement of Anthony Johnson following his UFC 210 title-fight loss to Daniel Cormier last month.Filed under: Bellator, New read news >>
Earlier this week, former pound-for-pound king and ex-middleweight champion Anderson Silva threatened to call it quits on the sport if he doesn’t get an interim title fight for his next bout. Now the read news >>
With Anderson Silva recently threatening retirement, UFC president Dana White said that the former champ probably should just go ahead and do it. read news >>
Neil Seery will enter the cage for the final time as part of July’s UFC Fight Night 113 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Instead of retirement after UFC 212, might Vitor Belfort be heading for fights with Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen? read news >>