#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Fight Night Rotterdam #Demetrious Johnson #Anderson Silva

Matt Hamill

Matt Hamill

Following his second loss in a row, at UFC 133, former “Ultimate Fighter” competitor Matt Hamill has decided to retire from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Ohio native made the official announcement on his website on Monday.

“Today is a sad day for me. After six years and 13 fights in the UFC, I’m ready to hang up my gloves and retire from this amazing sport,” he wrote.

Hamill was finished by up-and-coming prospect Alexander Gustafsson in the second round of their bout at UFC 133 on Saturday night in Philadelphia.

The former collegiate wrestler stepped in on short notice after dropping a unanimous decision to Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 130 back in May.

Hamill admits that he was close to making this same call after that fight, but opted to give it one more go, but it just didn’t go his way.

“The UFC has been extremely good to me and given me an opportunity to make a great living. That exposure has allowed me options outside the Octagon as well. I just don’t have it in me to fight anymore and my last two performances have shown that,” Hamill said.

“I was ready to make this decision after UFC 130 but my friends, family, coaches, and most importantly my daughter encouraged me to give it one last chance. My career has been plagued by injuries starting with ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ and disrupted my training ever since.

“There hasn’t been even one training camp where I’ve been able to train without training around an injury. I have not been kind to my body and it has nothing left after 28 years of non-stop competition. It’s time to finally give it a rest.”

Hamill spent his entire career with the UFC minus his first fight as a professional.

He retires with a 10-4 overall record, including nine wins in the UFC.

“I can’t continue to fight without having the hunger and desire to do so. I can’t let my performances reflect on my coaches who are the best in the world and the reason I’ve made it this far,” said Hamill.

“I have fallen in love with the sport of mixed martial arts and I will continue to coach at our gym, Mohawk Valley MMA, alongside my teammates and help the next generation of fighters make it to the UFC. I also look forward to continuing my business ventures outside the UFC including ‘Hamill,’ the movie based on my life story set to be released this fall.”

The former “Ultimate Fighter” went on to say thank you to all of the people that have helped him over the years, and does hope to continue to support the sport outside the cage.

“The UFC has become family to me and I hope to be involved with the number one mixed martial arts organization in the world as a coach, ambassador, and fan for a long time to come,” wrote Hamill.

Hamill joins other fighters, such as Ricardo Almeida, who have opted for retirement from the sport in 2011.

Comments

Watch Former UFC Fighter Cathal Pendred in Trailer for New Amazon Horror Series 'Lore' | MMAWeekly.com

Retired UFC welterweight competitor Cathal Pendred moved into acting after he left fighting behind and it didn't take long for him to land a leading role in a new series. Pendred stars in the upcomin read news >>

Former UFC Fighter Shayna Baszler Inks a Deal to Join WWE | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC women's bantamweight competitor and "Ultimate Fighter" veteran Shayna Baszler has officially joined the WWE roster. WWE officials announced the news on Tuesday. Just recently, Baszler comp read news >>

Michael McDonald to make Bellator debut this December in England

Once the youngest competitor in the UFC at 20, Michael McDonald’s quest to rebuild his career in Bellator begins this winter.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Breaking: Francis Ngannou Gets Next Fight at UFC 218 in Detroit | MMAWeekly.com

Francis Ngannou has signed to make his return to the Octagon opposite Alistair Overeem in December. read news >>

Francis Ngannou vs. Alistair Overeem booked as UFC 218 co-headliner in Detroit

UFC heavyweight prospect Francis Ngannou won’t get a title shot as he wished, but he will get an ex-champion in Alistair Overeem.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dominick Cruz Returns; Cynthia Calvillo Booked Against Former Champ at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz has finally booked his next fight as he will face off with Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 in Las Vegas on Dec. 30. Cruz has been out of action since losing the ba read news >>

Dominick Cruz-Jimmie Rivera, Cynthia Calvillo-Carla Esparza on tap for UFC 219 in Las Vegas

UFC 219 has its first batch of fights, highlighted by the return of Dominick Cruz one year after losing the bantamweight title.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Episode No. 5 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 26: A New World Champion'

MMAjunkie recaps episode five of “The Ultimate Fighter 26,” which crowns the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Andrea Lee vs. Kalindra Faria a late addition to next week's UFC 216 lineup

Next week’s UFC 216 lineup will apparently have 13 fights, after all.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, UFC read news >>

Scott Coker: Chuck Liddell would need 'battery of tests' before fighting in Bellator

UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell is talking like he’s about to make a comeback in the Bellator cage, but it won’t be as simple as signing a fight deal.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>