Approaching two years since his last fight, former UFC interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin on Tuesday announced his retirement from MMA.
Carwin (12-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) leaves the sport on a two-fight skid, but more importantly after fighting through injuries and surgeries.
Carwin posted on his Twitter account late Tuesday: “Officially retired 2day:-) thank you to my family, friends and fans! #dreambig GOD BLESS!!!”
Carwin last fought at UFC 131 in June 2011 against Junior dos Santos in a heavyweight title eliminator. He took dos Santos the distance, but dropped a unanimous decision.
Several months later, he said he expected to be back by the start of 2012. But not long after that, he revealed back surgery would sideline him until the middle of 2012.
That recovery took longer than planned, but Carwin hoped to return in the fall. While recovering, he was tapped to coach Season 16 of “The Ultimate Fighter” opposite Roy Nelson, with a fight planned for December.
But a month before the fight, a knee injury knocked Carwin out of that bout.
And after a neck surgery in 2011, the back surgery and the knee injury, the 38-year-old Carwin elected to hang up the gloves.
Carwin signed with the UFC in 2008 after starting his pro career 8-0 with eight first-round stoppages, including Ring of Fire’s heavyweight title.
That win set up a title unification fight against Lesnar, and through five minutes, Carwin appeared on the way to the belt. After taking a beating from Carwin, Lesnar survived the round – and Carwin had nothing left in the tank in the second, eventually tapping to an arm-triangle choke.
Carwin underwent his neck surgery later that year, then returned for the fight with Dos Santos – which would be his last.
Amazingly, in Carwin’s 12-0 start to his career, his fights averaged just 81 seconds.view original article >>
Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is not happy with his employers and is threatening to walk away from the sport.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Vitor Belfort has unveiled his UFC retirement plan, putting the wraps on a career that has spanned more than two decades. read news >>
Nik Lentz today announced he’s no longer a part of American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla., ending a five-year relationship with the famed MMA training center.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
A new division will be created and a new champion will emerge from the next season of The Ultimate Fighter. read news >>
UFC star Nate Diaz said he is not interested in fighting for interim titles after being offered a bout against Tony Ferguson. According to Brett Okamoto of ESPN, Diaz was invited to compete for the i read news >>
Ryan Bader said he was far less caught off guard than most by the surprise retirement of Anthony Johnson following his UFC 210 title-fight loss to Daniel Cormier last month.Filed under: Bellator, New read news >>
Dana White will host a Summer Kickoff press conference with some of the athletes from UFC 212 through UFC 214. read news >>
Despite Anderson Silva's threats, UFC president Dana White declared there would be no interim title fight for The Spider. read news >>
With Anderson Silva recently threatening retirement, UFC president Dana White said that the former champ probably should just go ahead and do it. read news >>
This summer, the UFC is returning to Mexico City for the fourth time.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>