#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Paul Daley #Ovince St. Preux #Lorenz Larkin #Gokhan Saki #Roy Nelson #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Javy Ayala

georges-st-pierre-167press-640

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre is content with his decision to leave active competition and his championship belt behind, at least for the time being.

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC), who over the weekend made his first public appearances since hanging up his gloves for an undetermined amount of time, says he’s enjoying his time away from the sport and has no regrets about his monumental career decision.

“I needed to take some time off to relax, to feel better and to have fun to do it again if I ever wanted to come back,” St-Pierre told the Ottawa Sun. “When you do something for a long time, you have a lot of pressure. People don’t realize how much pressure I have. It’s a lot of expectations.”

Since vacating the UFC belt he held for nearly six years this past December, St-Pierre has stayed away from the media and flown under the radar.

The French-Canadian’s removal from the spotlight was entirely intentional, and St-Pierre says given the time of the year it was the best thing for him, as he was provided with the rare opportunity to spend the holidays with family.

“I spent Christmas time and New Year’s with my family,” St-Pierre said. “That’s something I haven’t done for a long time. This is the first time I’ve really had nothing on my schedule. It was perfect. It was fun. It’s the first time I felt so good.

“I’m 32 years old and this is the first time I have Christmas with my family. I spent some time, but I never really had free time, total free time like I did. It was time for me to do it. I’m very happy I did it and I don’t regret any of it.”

St-Pierre went into his self-imposed hiatus from the sport following a split decision win over Johny Hendricks at UFC 158. The victory that marked his ninth consecutive 170-pound title defense and 19th UFC win overall, more than any other fighter in organizational history.

“Rush” has accomplished more than a majority of fighters ever will, but even with his lofty resume, St-Pierre refuses to rule out a return to the octagon. Although that likely wouldn’t happen until he first completes other goals outside of fighting.

“Because I’m an obsessive guy, I give myself a challenge which automatically will mean me working on it to obtain it,” St-Pierre said. “So right now I take a break. I don’t give myself any preference, you know? There is a chance I will come back.

“Christmas was incredible and now for 2014 we’ll see what’s going to happen. I have some projects in mind. I can’t talk about it, unfortunately.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Georges St-Pierre)

Comments

UFC Unfiltered Episode: Rickson Gracie, Renzo Gracie, and Amanda Nunes

Two members of the legendary Gracie family join the show as Renzo Gracie sits in with Jim and Matt. Plus, Amanda Nunes calls in to talk about her UFC 215 fight against Valentina Shevchenko and why sh read news >>

UFC Flashback – The Greatest Upsets

Today we will look back at the 25 greatest upsets to take place in the Octagon. These were the ones that shocked the world, and a strong reminder that despite what the oddsmakers may say, this is why read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg scratched from UFC 215 headliner

No, seriously. The planned headliner for Saturday’s event between UFC flyweight champion and Ray Borg has been called off less than 12 hours before the fighters were set to hit the scales.Filed under read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg Cancelled as UFC 215 Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Demetrious Johnson will have to wait a little longer if he wants to break the all time record for title defenses in the UFC. The main event for Saturday night's UFC 215 card in Canada between Johnson read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg Reportedly Canceled as UFC 215 Main Event

Ray Borg and Demetrious Johnson will reportedly not be fighting in Saturday's main event at UFC 215 in Edmonton, Canada. On Thursday, Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting reported Borg had to withdraw from read news >>

Twitter reacts to Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg UFC 215 main event cancellation

Check out how Twitter reacted to the stunning news of Ray Borg’s withdrawal from the UFC 215 main event vs. Demetrious Johnson. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Coach: Demetrious Johnson 'beyond disappointed' in Ray Borg's UFC 215 title-fight withdrawal

Although disappointed, Demetrious Johnson’s head coach Matt Hume responded to Ray Borg’s late UFC 215 title-fight withdrawal with class.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC issues statement on 'viral illness' that forced Ray Borg out of UFC 215; refunds available

The UFC has officially ruled Ray Borg out Saturday’s UFC 215 main event vs. Demetrious Johnson, citing a “viral illness.” Refunds are available to ticket-buyers.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Not Interested in UFC 215? Blame Dana White.

If there existed a Promoter's Rulebook, somewhere among the first few rules listed would be:"Do not bury your athletes, no matter how angry they make you.*"And down at the bottom of the page, in a ti read news >>