#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Bellator MMA #Kristina Williams #Heather Hardy #UFC Fight Night 118 #Neiman Gracie #Zak Bucia #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Conor McGregor

Georges St PierreFormer UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has apologized for his support of a friend who was arrested and pleaded guilty to drug-trafficking charges.

In a letter addressed to his fans and published on his social media accounts on Sunday, St-Pierre wrote that he made a mistake by signing a letter in support of “King of Pot” Jimmy Cournoyer. However, the former UFC champ added that he will continue to support Cournoyer as a friend.

St-Pierre’s full letter dated June 29 can be read below.

“A letter I signed in support of my friend Jimmy Cournoyer, who has recently pleaded guilty to a number of drug traffic-related crimes in the U.S., has generated a great deal of controversy over the last few days.

“First of all, the letter I signed was a mistake – my mistake. I will not go into detail as to why and how the letter came about because it’s not going to right a wrong. I simply wanted to help repatriate Jimmy to a Canadian prison, closer to his family, if that was possible.

“My friendship with Jimmy is based on our mutual passion for martial arts and going to the gym. I was not aware of Jimmy’s crimes until he was arrested by the U.S. authorities. I do not condone any of his criminal actions. He will and should pay for his actions. My position against the use of drugs has been on the record for years, and speaks for itself.

“I have been to visit Jimmy in prison – twice so far. We also had many conversations since his arrest. Why? Because I believe in redemption, and I believe in loyalty. I will continue to support him – as a friend. In fact, if Jimmy leaves prison one day, I should be there to help him start over in a better way.

“I want to unconditionally apologize to those who have been offended by my actions. But I often say that the wheel of life turns and turns, causing ups and downs for each of us. I was also taught that a real friend is there to offer support at the best and the worst of times.”

Controversy began surrounding St-Pierre earlier this week when a report by the Montreal Gazette revealed that the fighter had written a letter used during Cournoyer’s trial, which followed his arrest in 2012. In the letter obtained by the Gazette, St-Pierre referred to Cournoyer as “a really good friend” and wrote that what the drug kingpin did with his life was none of the fighter’s business.

“We have a very human relationship,” St-Pierre wrote, according to the Canadian media outlet. “We share the same passions, which is sport fitness and martial arts.”

As part of his guilty plea, Cournoyer admitted to taking part in a conspiracy that dated back 16 years. Cournoyer’s crimes included the trafficking of marijuana and cocaine across U.S. borders, as well as money laundering.

St-Pierre announced last December that he was stepping away from fighting to deal with personal problems, not revealing what those issues might be. The fighter has subsequently been on record to say he stepped away partly due to what he described as the UFC’s leniency towards drug testing.

Comments

UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre 'Battle Cry' Trailer Unveiled | MMAWeekly.com

Former welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre is returning from a four-year hiatus to challenge current middleweight champion Michael Bisping. read news >>

Holly Holm Fires Back at Cris Cyborg Over Badgering about USADA Drug Testing | MMAWeekly.com

The fight between UFC women's featherweight champion Cris "Cyborg" Justino and Holly Holm isn't official yet but they sure are behaving like two fighters preparing to do battle. This week, Cyborg has read news >>

Frankie Edgar Explains Why His Style Will Give Max Holloway Problems at UFC 218 | MMAWeekly.com

From the moment Max Holloway landed the final punch to finish Jose Aldo in June to become featherweight champion, Frankie Edgar was waiting to get the first shot at the new king of the division. Edga read news >>

Patrick Cummins Declares He's Pulling Out of UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Patrick Cummins is apparently pulling the plug on UFC 217. read news >>

UFC 218: Holloway vs. Edgar Fight Poster Unveiled | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 218 recently gained its headlining bout, and now the official fight poster has been revealed. read news >>

Tecia Torres vs. Michelle Waterson Joins Stacked UFC 218 Lineup | MMAWeekly.com

The rich get richer in Detroit with another huge fight just added to the upcoming UFC 218 card on Dec. 2. No. 5 ranked contender Tecia Torres will get back in action against No. 6 ranked "The Karate read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118: Cerrone vs. Till Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC Fight Night 118: Cerrone vs. Till full live results and fight stats. First fight is slated for 11:30 am ET / 8:30 am PT on Saturday. read news >>

UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre full live results and fight stats. First fight is slated for 6:30 pm ET / 3:30 pm PT on Saturday, Nov. 4. read news >>

Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz Expected to Be Rebooked for UFC Fight Night in Australia | MMAWeekly.com

A lightweight matchup between Will Brooks and Nik Lentz that was originally scheduled for UFC 216 is expected to get shifted to UFC Fight Night in Australia on Nov. 19. Sources close to the matchup c read news >>

UFC Star Julianna Pena is Pregnant | MMAWeekly.com

UFC bantamweight contender Julianna Pena is pregnant. Pena hasn't set foot in the Octagon since she lost to Valentina Shevchenko at UFC on FOX 25 in January, and now it looks like she won't be return read news >>