SAN JOSE, Calif. – If there’s one lesson Norman Parke (17-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) learned heading into this weekend’s UFC on FOX 7 event, it’s to read an entire email before electing to eat two pizzas.
“I had just finished my last sprinting session Saturday morning, and I came back into the dressing room and checked my iPad,” Parke told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I got an email from my manager, and I just clicked into it. There was a space first, and I moved it down, and it was like, ‘Tuck is injured. He’s out.’ That’s all I saw, but there was actually more to the message.”
Unfortunately for Parke, he didn’t realize that at the time. So with his UFC on FOX 7 fight with Jon Tuck canceled, the Northern Irishman did what any hungry fighter would do when no longer needing to make weight: He ate.
“Whenever I heard that Tuck was out, I kind of went and gorged a little bit,” Parke admitted.
Said pizzas saw Parke balloon from 168 pounds up to 176. That’s when he received another email that outlined the terms he missed in the previous message.
“I got an email from Joe Silva that said, ‘Just stay on weight,’ and I was like, ‘Oh, hell,’” Parke said. “They said they were just going to scrap the fight but just to come to San Jose and be on weight in case anybody pulled out.”
Fortunately for Parke, it wasn’t a long journey, as he had been training at San Diego’s Alliance MMA. So without an opponent in place, Parke had to resume the weight cut and get himself down to 156 pounds for Friday’s official weigh-ins. There’s still a slim chance something crazy could happen to one of the event’s other lightweights, and if it does, Parke says he’ll be ready. Still, he’s not trying to approach things from a selfish point-of-view.
“I wouldn’t really wish bad things on anybody,” Parke said. “But as Burt Watson says, ‘F—ed up things happen.’ Somebody could get sick. I don’t wish it on anyone, but that’s what I’m here for. It’s highly unlikely it’s going to happen. I’m sure everybody is going to be safe. But there are a lot of 155-pounders on the card, and I’ll fight any of them.”
Despite the loss of a fight on this weekend’s card, Parke will get paid his show money for making weight, and he said he’s still trying to use the event as a learning experience. After winning “The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes,” UFC on FOX 7 was going to be his big-show debut. With that possibility now slim, Parke said he’s still planning on warming up like normal on fight night and getting a few hard rounds of mitt work in to simulate an actual fight.
After that, he hopes to get a quick rebooking from the powers that be.
“I’m going to take a week off to let my body go back a bit because my body peaked perfectly,” Parke said. “I’ll take a week off and just have a bit of fun and hope to get a fight just whenever Joe Silva can get me a matchup, really.
“It could be a blessing in disguise. I’ve had good training. I’ll make weight and not fight and get paid and then maybe I can fight in a few weeks’ time and win and get paid, as well.”view original article >>
After a two-fight run as a featherweight, former bantamweight champion Renan Barao appears to be ready to move back to 135 pounds. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
The UFC’s debut event on Long Island this summer has another fight featuring a local – and it’ll be a rematch.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Former middleweight champ Chris Weidman takes on Kelvin Gastelum in the UFC on FOX 25 main event in New York. read news >>
Jimmie Rivera will go after his 20th straight win this summer, and he’ll get to do it not far from home. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Chris Weidman’s admirable commitment to only fighting the best competition available will continue at UFC on FOX 25 in July.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
If you’re heading to Las Vegas this summer for the annual “International Fight Week,” you can get your tickets today for the pair of cards headlining the week. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
The UFC’s return to New York and its debut on Long Island continues to build with a new featherweight fight. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Former middleweight champion Chris Weidman has three straight losses, and two of them are in his home state of New York. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
A heavyweight matchup between newcomer Junior Albini and veteran Timothy Johnson is headed to UFC on FOX 25.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Instead of retirement after UFC 212, might Vitor Belfort be heading for fights with Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen? read news >>