Tyson Griffin UFC 103“The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself.” – Mark Caine

Former UFC fighter Tyson Griffin lost his way back in 2010 after doing so well earlier in his career.

Spending much of his time at Xtreme Couture, Griffin was later given new advice in the camp that wasn’t clicking.  It quickly became apparent in his fights, as Griffin was abandoning the wrestling that made him so successful in the UFC early on.

Griffin made an unhealthy move to featherweight and after losing four of his last five fights was subsequently released from the UFC in November of 2011.

“I was young in the sport, doing a lot of good things and learning along the way,” Griffin told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I was trying a lot of new things out and I don’t think a lot of those new things helped me.  I’m going to go back and do what I did that got me to the top in the first place and see what happens.”

Griffin wasn’t enjoying his environment at Xtreme Couture any longer, and knew that if he couldn’t have fun training anymore that he needed to leave.

Midway through 2012, former teammate Gray Maynard made a call for Griffin to come help him train, and everything started to click again.  Griffin quickly realized that if he wanted to make a comeback that American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif., was the place to be.

“It’s about the atmosphere in the gym.  I need a certain atmosphere to allow me to have fun and I need to have fun if I’m going to be there every day training hard.  The fight doesn’t have to be fun.  The fight is a fight.

“I feel AKA has what we could’ve had and started to have in Vegas and it kind of fell a part.  I feel like AKA has got that same atmosphere and that same kind of mentality there.  So, I feel like it’s a great new start and a great place to get back on the winning track and put a win streak together.”

At Resurrection Fighting Alliance 4, all of Griffin’s hard work started to pay off with a victory over fellow UFC veteran Efrain Escudero.  Even with the change in camp and a year-long layoff, Griffin looked like his old self again with a crowd-pleasing unanimous decision win.

While the 28-year-old appreciates the challenges at RFA, the end game is always the UFC.  And once he’s put himself back on the map, he wants to have at it once again with all of the best fighters in the world.

“I think the end of the game is to compete against the best in the world.  Efrain is a good, tough guy, but I want to compete against the best names in the world.  That’s what motivates me to train every day and that’s what helps me have fun in the sport.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest mixed martial arts news and updates.

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Holm, de Randamie look for career-defining wins; Silva, Brunson want more at UFC 208

Everyone that steps into the Octagon does so for their own reasons, but next Saturday night at Barclays Center, Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie will enter the UFC’s eight-sided proving ground wit read news >>

Scratched from UFC 208 due to eye issue, Luis Henrique says his career options now limited

Luis Henrique said his career options have dwindled after he was pulled from Saturday’s UFC 208 lineup. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Holm vs. De Randamie: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 208

The UFC will add a new champion to the fold when Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie close out UFC 208 on Saturday, February 11, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The main event features read news >>

Germaine de Randamie Looking to Solidify Fighting Career with UFC Title | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC will crown its first female 145-pound champion at UFC 208 on Saturday. Either Germaine de Randamie or Holly Holm will make history. read news >>

Ex-champ Johny Hendricks promises rebirth of fallen career at UFC Fight Night 105

HALIFAX – Johny Hendricks has a pep in his step that he said has been absent for several years as he approaches Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 105 showdown with Hector Lombard.Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>

Anderson Silva Wins, Decisions Derek Brunson (UFC 208 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former middleweight champion Anderson Silva picked up his 34th career win on Saturday when he defeated Derek Brunson by unanimous decision at UFC 208. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Informs UFC of Retirement from MMA, Removed from Drug Testing Pool

Brock Lesnar's mixed martial arts career appears to be over. A UFC spokesperson on Tuesday told MMA Fighting's Marc Raimondi the former UFC heavyweight champion informed the company of his retirement read news >>

Inside the impressive career facts and figures for UFC 208 co-headliner Anderson Silva

Former longtime pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva once again returns to the octagon on Saturday when he takes on Derek Brunson in the UFC 208 co-main event. Get a look at his impressive career numb read news >>

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>